1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trucker ticketed $500 for poor English

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by NoahideHiker, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Storm

Storm ThrUU the Looking Glass

Ratings:
    +2,360
    Religion:
    UU/ panentheist/ neopagan/ process theology
    No, that would be a "yes." Just because you managed to avoid directly violating the letter of forum rules doesn't mean you weren't violating the spirit.

2. Laughing Man

Laughing Man 1337 |-|4(|<3R

Ratings:
    +15
    Any language can be abused.

So if we were to not have an official language and anybody here would not have to learn English to become a citizen then can you tell us how you would solve such problems as road signs, schools, government agencies having to deal with anybody speaking any language or even employees of government agencies or teachers speaking different languages?

3. Scuba Pete

Scuba Pete Le plongeur avec attitude...

Ratings:
    +3,193
    Religion:
    Christian Taoist
    We don't have an official language and we seem to be doing just fine. It's when we have LAWS about language that they get abused.

4. LittlePinky82

LittlePinky82 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +173
    Religion:
    Satanist
    Because if you have an official language you will have no other choices for people who don't know English for whatever purpose such as on official documents like the driving manual and ballots etc.

5. LittlePinky82

Ratings:
    +173
    Religion:
    Satanist
    So what about Native American tribes and their sovereignty?

6. Storm

Ratings:
    +2,360
    Religion:
    What about them?

7. LittlePinky82

Ratings:
    +173
    Religion:
    Satanist
    So you're going based on popularity correct? What do you do when the popular language is different whether official or not?

8. Storm

Ratings:
    +2,360
    Religion:
    Learn it.

9. LittlePinky82

Ratings:
    +173
    Religion:
    Satanist
    Unless you're a soldier who is gay and speaks Arabic. Then you're fired.

10. LittlePinky82

Ratings:
    +173
    Religion:
    Satanist
    So you don't need to know signs of things and how to read Japanese? How will you order food or read what street you're on or find the correct rest room? Especially if you happen to be by yourself.

11. LittlePinky82

Ratings:
    +173
    Religion:
    Satanist
    Exactly what I asked. They all have their own languages and do fine with them. Not all of them speak the same language and they are doing fine. And how will having an official language affect their sovereignty?

12. LittlePinky82

Ratings:
    +173
    Religion:
    Satanist
    But than if English is still official and majority of the people know the new popular language and don't use English anymore official government documents are still in English. See the problem?

13. Storm

Ratings:
    +2,360
    Religion:
    They're not a single nation.

It won't?

How is this relevant?

14. Storm

Ratings:
    +2,360
    Religion:
    Nope. Learn English, too.

15. Magic Man

Magic Man Reaper of Conversation

Ratings:
    +1,447
    That just goes to show how bad your comprehension skills are. It's not my communication skills that need work. I'm doing just fine. you'd know that, if you could get your hasty assumptions and bias out of the way.

Then the government shouldn't worry about it, and they should stop providing services in other languages.

:eek: Are you serious? Really? I know you like your willful ignorance, but this is terrible!

I guess you just want to ignore these quotes, then? Sure, you never said the exact words "You are a bigot", but that's a technicality. You said that our ideas were the roots of bigotry and that we were xenoglossophobic. I'd say that's good enough to effectively end respectful discussion.

English, being the official language, would always be the popular language unless we got forcibly taken over. If at some point, it's deemed easier for everyone to switch the official language to something else, then, by all means, do that. Right now, it would be easier for the majority to make English the official language. All I'm trying to do is make things easier on the majority and make the minority put out a little more effort, rather than make it easier for the minority and make the entire majority put out more effort.

The argument is not about English. It's about having an official language. I think we should because it would make a whole lot of things much easier for everyone. Then, once that's established, it's a matter of English being the language of the vast majority, thereby the perfect candidate for that official language. If Spanish or Mandarin was that widespread and popular, then I would vote for that instead.

16. Scuba Pete

Ratings:
    +3,193
    Religion:
    Christian Taoist
    What technicality? I either called you a bigot or I didn't. I may have pointed out bigoted notions and statements, but I did not call you or anyone else in this thread a bigot. I am sorry that you and others have a hard time ADMITTING when you are wrong. I suppose I will be blamed for that as well.
    How would your life be any "easier" if English should become the "official" language. Sure, it would be easier for xenophobes to discriminate and have the law on their side, but other than pandering to biases and/or phobias, there is simply NO compelling reason for an official language. As I pointed out, it didn't seem to help in either Afghanistan or Iraq. The next step will be to ban certain types of dress here in America.

17. Laughing Man

Ratings:
    +15
    \
    The reason the government would get into the business of who speaks what is simple, it&#8217;s needed. Our entire society or any society runs through communication, if you can&#8217;t communicate then you can&#8217;t pass along the most basic information. The federal government pays for a lot of the street signs; it has to decide what language to put them in. Federal employees have to be able to communicate with each other to work, if you have a team of people that need to work together and they all speak different languages then your not going to get too much done. And what about the school systems, standardized test must be printed and every public school in America currently has English on its curriculum should we change that? What if you started hiring teachers that spoke just any language and did not know English? I think you would have a hard time in school if your math teacher only spoke German, your science teacher only speaks French, your health teacher only spoke Japanese, and your shop teacher only spoke mandarin. Would you expect somebody to learn all of these languages well enough to get through that school year? And what of the next year when you have an entirely different set of teachers that all speak different languages? What if an individual emigrated from Russia and wanted to be a cop in Washington D.C. how is he going to be understood when giving commands?

I could go on with the problems that could occur all day but the point it that people need to have a common language to communicate and with out communication our society would come to a virtual standstill. So I ask you again Pete how would you solve these kinds of issues?

18. Magic Man

Magic Man Reaper of Conversation

Ratings:
    +1,447
    The technicality that you called my ideas bigotted. That's the same thing as calling someone a bigot to me, and to a lot of people. You can keep trying to claim you didn't, but it's pretty clear that you did, and your attempts to deny it only make it worse.

There are compelling reasons for an official language, whether or not you can see them. It would make my life easier in things like not having to try to explain things to people in a hospital or get information from them, when they don't speak any English. I wouldn't have to spend an hour trying to communicate with construction workers to try to get a job done right, or to get lights turned on in a room. I wouldn't have to pay extra taxes to fund so many different forms and programs in various languages to accommodate people who refuse to learn English. There are many ways it makes life easier for many. It's even worse for some other people, like police and doctors, for example.

Again, no one is trying to take anything away from anyone. You keep using examples like banning certain kinds of dress. It's not even equivalent. They can dress however they want (as long as they are sufficiently covered so that it's not indecent exposure). They can speak how they want. They can eat, drink and play how they want. They can do everything the same as they have been doing. the only thing that should be different is that they should ALSO be able to speak enough English to get them by in situations when they have to do something business related or official.

19. Scuba Pete

Ratings:
    +3,193
    Religion:
    Christian Taoist
    This is so silly!
    It's intrusive and NOT needed.
    What information aren't you getting RIGHT now?
    You will find the VAST majority of signage to be produced by local and state governments. There might be money from the Federal Government, but they are done on a local level.
    Perhaps you have found the secret to governmental inefficiency. But really, we don't have this NOW and they seem to be doing fine.
    OMG, the SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

Currently, we DON'T have an official language, we merely have a common one. NONE of these issues have reared their ugly heads so far, and pandering to your XENOGLOSSOPHOBIA will not make them appear!

The only change would be to give bigots the ability to PUNISH people for their diversity. We can see this with the poor trucker already. Is this the type of intolerant society you want us to change in to? Quelle domage!

20. Laughing Man

Ratings:
    +15
    Actually we are now starting to see these issues, case in point Miami News, Fort Lauderdale News, Florida News & Weather Channel 7 Fox Miami WSVN-TV - Help Me Howard - No English Manuals

You see Pete this is now becoming an issue. It was not in the past but there has recently been a new trend of immigrants feeling they should NOT have to take the time to learn English because we provide so many services to non-English speakers. It now has gotten to the point where it affects those who are native English speakers. This is just one example that shows it is becoming an issue. If you really need more examples to show that this is an increasing trend I am sure I can pull them up but really is it necessary?

I don’t wish to punish anybody for their diversity, I think it is fantastic if you hold onto your native language but if you wish to live in this country you should ALSO learn English.