• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trolling and Bullying

Jacksnyte

Reverend
What do you consider to be trolling, and what do you consider to be bullying? I find that some people on sites such as these define them differently, and I think it would be interesting to see what they are, and how to avoid inadvertantly doing them, or having anyone assume we are!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Trolling & bullying are what the other guy does when I present a cogent argument which demolishes his position & crushes his spirit.
Perspective is everything....almost.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
bullying is bring up past posts and personal info in order to hurt someone.
while trolling is more to draw out a response and **** someone off.

just examples I suppose.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I just figure that if a particular forum defines what I'm doing as trolling or bullying, then I can find somewhere else to participate, since those folks obviously don't appreciate my sense of humor or style.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Keeping in mind that these are somewhat subjective definitions, and therefore not necessarily in line with the official understanding of any forums (including these), it seems to me that trolling is having obnoxious behavior that aims far more at causing distress than at expressing a viewpoint. And Bullying is much the same, directed towards a specific person or group and usually involving some sort of personal criticism or attack.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Many people who intentionally troll, do so in a creative and artistic manner which often conveys a point more clearly than mundane statements. Also, I'd say the majority of people who troll, do so unintentionally, and are unaware that they're even doing it. These types are often the worst, as their trolling is merely uninspired passive-aggressiveness wrapped in a cloak of self-righteousness.

Same often goes for bullying, which may or may not coincide with trolling.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Bullying is being mean to someone... Not just disagreeing with them, but actually saying something that is directed right at them, their personality, family, etc. Maybe calling them incredibly annoying. Talking behind someone's back is much different than saying it right to their face...

I think trolling is posting just to **** people off. Like making threads that you already know the answer to (or think you do) and then being a jerk and refusing to listen to anyone else.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
I personally never post just to **** people off. I only post my opinions, and what I know of a subject based on study and personal experience. Sometimes I am taken the wrong way when posting for comedic effect. My sense of humor doesn't always translate well in text (or in person, for that matter!), but if someone takes offense at what I say, I would encourage them to look at the post again with humor in mind.
The reason I set up this thread is that I would like to understand why people so often get so offended(myself included) over a post on an internet forum. I like to see several viewpoints on a situation, and not just one.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

The reason I set up this thread is that I would like to understand why people so often get so offended(myself included) over a post on an internet forum.

Because some people think their personal beliefs are unduly entitled to respect and reverence and that they should be exempt from critique and scrutiny.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
For the most part I believe in freedom speech.

But it's sad that we cannot moderate the debate to the extent that a formal rebuttal session would have.

Here, in this place....any response is fair game.
If you want to redirect or confuse, you may do so.

After all, many participants are grossly confused when they first arrive here.
It shows in their style of rebuttal.

And then there are a few, who actually go about, attempting to diffuse a good thread...
just to be doing so.
These are the worst of character.