• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Triune Godhead

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
writer said:
19 Do you remember the movie Sybil? imagine if the older woman inside her sent the little girl inside her out of the body into new york city to get some meat from the grocery store and come right back. to the people in the city, she would be a little girl with her own name and personality. but to her therapist, she would be Sybil.
The Father, Son, and Spirit neither r, nor resemble, Sybil, nor Modalism.
Rather: "He who sent Me is with Me; He has not left Me alone" (Jn 8:29)
So God has got a split personality?

XGraceX104

I also have a more simplistic view of the Godhead. I grew up in the Catholic faith, therefore it was taught to me as the Trinity. However, I have never found it described as the "trinity" in the Bible. I have never believed that the Trinity was three different persons though. I have always seen it as manifestations of the Lord. When Jesus was sent to earth, it was simply God robing Himself in flesh. Just as humans robe themselves in a coat, God robed Himself in flesh. When doing this, Jesus was presented with the same feelings that we are.....not because He was not God....but because of the flesh. Therefore, He prayed, asking for help from He that is not in the flesh....God.

XGraceX104

right.....God robed Himself in flesh.....God did not change.....the word flesh when used in John 1:14 when written in Greek is sarx, meaning in the spiritual sense the lower nature of a person, the seat and vehicle of sinful desires....carnal...or carnally minded (coming from Strong's).

Galatians 5:16-17~"I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish."

Also.....read these scriptures.....for some more thought....

Deuteronomy 6:4~"Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one!"

Isaiah 43:11~"I, even I, am the Lord, And besides Me there is no savior."

Isaiah 54:5~"For your Maker is your husband, The Lord of hosts is His name; And your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel; He is called the God of the whole earth."

Mark 12:29~"Jesus answered him, 'The first of all the commandments is: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.'"

Mark 12:32~"So the scribe said to Him, "Well said, Teacher. You have spoken the truth, for there is one God, and there is no other but He."

writer

right.....God robed Himself in flesh.....God did not change.....
In His essence, He can't. But in His status, He absolutely did.
He became wedded to, mingled with, His creation:
humanity.
cf Gen 2:18; Lev 2:4

Also.....read these scriptures.....for some more thought....
more thought of?

Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one!
I and the Father are one

I, even I, am the Lord, And besides Me there is no savior
Awaiting the blessed hope, even the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior: Jesus Christ,

For your Maker is your husband, The Lord of hosts is His name;
He who has the bride is the bridegroom; but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices with joy because of the bridegroom's voice. This joy of mine therefore is made full. He must increase but I must decrease

And your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel; He is called the God of the whole earth
Jesus Christ, Who gave Himself for us that He might redeem us from all lawlessness and purify to Himself a particular people as His unique possession, zealous of good works

Jesus answered him, 'The first of all the commandments is: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.'
I and the Father are one.
The Word was with God, the Word was God

So the scribe said to Him, "Well said, Teacher. You have spoken the truth, for there is one God, and there is no other but He."
Thomas answered Him and said to Him, My Lord and my God!
Jesus said to him, Because you've seen Me, you've believed. Blessed are those who haven't seen and have believed.

The Son of the I Am is I Am,
Jn 8:58; 20:31

R W Blu

Even if a verse read crystal clear is open to another intrepretation. The trinity would still remain somewhat mysterious.The Bible clearly teaches that Jesus is God (cf. John 8:58, 10:38, 14:10; Col. 2:9). It also clearly teaches that the Holy Spirit is God (cf. Acts 5:3–4, 28:25–28; 1 Cor. 2:10–13). Everyone agrees the Father is God. Yet there is only one God (Mark 12:29, 1 Cor. 8:4–6, Jas. 2:19). How can we hold all four truths except by saying all three are somehow the one God?

On top of that, the language of the Trinity was developed by the Church Fathers. Around the year 181, Theophilus of Antioch expressly used the Greek word trias (trinitas in Latin, trinity in English): "the Trinity: God [the Father], his Word, and his Wisdom" [To Autolycus 2:15]. About twenty years later, Tertullian used the Latin trinitas: "The Unity is distributed in a Trinity. Placed in order, the three are Father, Son, and Spirit" [Against Praxes 2:4].

How can you say that the language of the Trinity was developed by the Church Fathers, when the word "GODHEAD" is found in scriptures on 3 distinct occasions (Acts 17 :29, Rom. 1 : 20, and Col. 2:9). And the Greek word theios which means "divine, deity" (Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon, pg. 285) does not distinguish between the 3 in scriptures. The Father (Rom. 1:7). The Son (Heb. 1:8). The Holy Spirit (Acts: 5:3-4). Yet the scriptures never refer to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Godhead) as gods, in the plural langauge, but in the singular when each is described. And the scriptures present a message that all 3 distinct individual entities are of the same nature, purpose, and thinking, John 14:8-31.

Yet is it not strange that even in first Book of the Holy Bible, Genesis, it is suggested that God was not alone during the creation, "And God said, let US make man in OUR image....." Genesis 1:26, suggesting that the Word from John 1:1 was there, as well as the Holy Spirit. As apparently God considered Himself a trinity of making one Godhead, The Father. (RWB)

IsmailaGodHasHeard

God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit..."I and my Father are one...The Lord possesed me in the beginning of His way, before His works of old, I was set up from everlasting. When He prepared the heavens I was there...I was daily His delight, rejoicing always before Him" Proverbs 8:22-30 Jesus declared this Himself...as He also spoke of the third person as "the Spirit of Truth", "the Comforter" ...the bible never says anything such as the word trinity but it is refered to throughout the Bible...Jesus was with the Father before the world was made...which can only mean God knew the time would come in His creation that sin would abound to the point that it would take devine intervention to save us from the lake of fire in the final judgment of us all.

What do YOU take away from this?

I so agree with you. I believe in the one true God, Father, and Son, and Holy Spirit.