• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

trinity; monotheistic or polytheistic?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Yes, I consider the belief in the Trinity to be Tri-theism a form of polytheism. It is compounded by the Roman Church believing 'Mary is the Mother of God (Jesus Christ) and the Queen of Heaven. If Mary is the Queen of heaven, who is the King????

Reactions: syo

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd say it's kind of like Polymorphic Monotheism, that there is one original Supreme deity who takes many forms, like the religion i am a part of. What do you think of this position? :)

Last edited:

syo

I'd say it's kind of like Polymorphic Monotheism, that there are many forms of one original Supreme deity who takes many forms. What do you think of this position? :)
I like it. in my understanding is like soft polytheism, and soft polytheism is actually monotheism. because three persons(polytheistic) combine in one god (monotheistic). I see the trinity as monotheistic/soft polytheistic.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I'd say it's kind of like Polymorphic Monotheism, that there is one original Supreme deity who takes many forms, like the religion i am a part of. What do you think of this position? :)
Sounds like your rethinking your DIRs? ;):D

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I like it. in my understanding is like soft polytheism, and soft polytheism is actually monotheism. because three persons(polytheistic) combine in one god (monotheistic). I see the trinity as monotheistic/soft polytheistic.

In my study of the Vedic belief systems I found beliefs vary from what I would call polytheism to polymorphic monotheism, and the beliefs are not as fixed as in traditional Christianity where the Trinity is specifically defined as three distinct beings as one, and Jesus Christ is described still as distinctly separate seated on the right side of God on the Throne of Heaven. The problem of Mary defined separately as 'Mother of God' and 'Queen of Heaven' and not a part of the Trinity. Again, if Mary is the Queen of Heaven, who is the King???

The traditions in the Abrahamic religions that the Trinity belief and Mary Queen of Heaven evolved from ancient Canaanite/Ugarit beliefs and early Hebrew beliefs of a hierarchal polytheism, and the belief of a female God. I believe there is also influence from Hellenist Roman beliefs, Mary is often depicted in pictures and statues in the same manner with the same symbols as the Greek and Roman Goddesses.

Soft polytheism??? I believe the Doctrines of Traditional Christianity remain polytheistic regardless of how soft or hard you wish to define it.

Last edited:

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Sounds like your rethinking your DIRs? ;):D
Not at all :D What makes you say that? Polymorphic Monotheism is a form of Monotheism all Vaishnava sampradayas (denominations) adhere to :)

Jumi

Depends on the way it's interpreted. It's monotheism if all are parts of one God, like hands and feet are part of human body. It's polytheism if they are separate. IMO existence of a separately acting Satan is more problematic for monotheists who believe in it.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Not at all :D What makes you say that? Polymorphic Monotheism is a form of Monotheism all Vaishnava sampradayas (denominations) adhere to :)
What you posted I liked it made sense. Almost too much sense.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Only if you choose correct dirs of course. :)
I am a part of the Pantheism-Panentheism DIR, if this is what you're asking? All Vaisnavas are pantheistic and panentheistic. :)

idav

Being
Premium Member
I am a part of the Pantheism-Panentheism DIR, if this is what you're asking? All Vaisnavas are pantheistic and panentheistic. :)
I'm just joshing since we can pick multiple ones. You might add a check mark not take one away.

If we read the creeds it would be monotheistic. If we read the church fathers it would be monotheistic, if we read other peoples view it polytheistic.

Church Fathers include shema in the doctrine of the trinity. Moreover Paul has made it clear in the new testament, "...to us there is but one God the Father, and one Lord Jesus Christ" church fathers include this clause in their doctrine of a monotheistic God, the trinity.

Jews disagree, and would not stop themselves from condemn holy men to hell for holding the doctrine of the trinity

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
If we read the creeds it would be monotheistic. If we read the church fathers it would be monotheistic, if we read other peoples view it polytheistic.

Church Fathers include shema in the doctrine of the trinity. Moreover Paul has made it clear in the new testament, "...to us there is but one God the Father, and one Lord Jesus Christ" church fathers include this clause in their doctrine of a monotheistic God, the trinity.

Jews disagree, and would not stop themselves from condemn holy men to hell for holding the doctrine of the trinity
Jews don't condemn anyone to hell, since there is no eternel hell in Judaism.