• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trinitarian Arguments

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It's grammar. Tri-nity, un-nity.

Theism has to deal with god. Trinity just describes the combination (or state of) of three things: father, son, holy spirit in this example. In itself, grammatically, it's not an religious word.

Like virgin vs virginity.

As nouns the difference between virginity and virgin is that virginity is the state of being a virgin while virgin is a person who has never had sexual intercourse, or sometimes, one who has never engaged in any sexual activity at all..

So you can say to protestants, father, son, holy spirit is a unity. On catholicism (which I think the word cones from), it's not a unity. Mass shows their relationship rather their nature as one another.

It's speaking of the nature of three things.

Another example

Trinity sentence examples. The Trinity--the three elements of matter--are sulphur, mercury, and salt. It seems clear that the trinity of Anu, Bel, and Ea in the old Babylonian religion has its counterpart in the Mandaean Pira, Ayar, and Mana rabba.

The three parts, each concentrating on a single aspect of his interpretative trinity, pose major organisational problems : repetition is hard to avoid, as is a measure of apparent internal contradiction.

Some people are against god, son, spirit bring three as one. Their nature has no comparison. It's not a unity, they translate. Pro-trinitatians use tri/unity but I think unity is a better word since there is only one god they believe not three.

semantics
Did you not read my post at all, or did you make a deliberate choice not to answer my question?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
How is what you're describing different from Tritheism (which is not Trinitarianism)?

It's a grammar thing I'm talking about. My answer still stands. I'm not talking about tritheism but trinity. Trinity, grammatically, does not have a god component to it like theism does. It just says three as one unit. Tritheism (theism) has to do with god.

The context is different. Three-divinity isn't what protestants are referring to. That makes it three gods. They say there is only one god. So, the trinity is the unity of three things not three divinities.

The answer is no.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Metis is like that. I am on an ignore list because I did not agree with something he said.
I knew I couldn't have been alone, but sometimes it does feel as though I am on top of his list of people to bite.
You sort of get this image of a dog protecting it's buried bone at all costs.
... and rip you to pieces because you got too close.
iu

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
Oh, you mean like judging others here and then bearing false witness against them like some other JW's have done here in plain view?

Lying is lying, and do you really expect me to call it anything else? When even shown that some JW's here have lied about what we supposedly believe in while they strut around judging others, are we supposedly to ignore that and call it something other than "lies"?

Contrary to what you have claimed, I have not attacked others here in a ad hominem manner but I have attacked their dishonest statements at times by calling them out and questioning why they would repeatedly lie about what we actually believe and teach. It is very frustrating to spend the time posting facts from authentic sources and then to have one or more JW's virtually ignore the correction and post the same lies over and over again.

Again, that's nothing less than a disingenuous fabrication. I don't hate anyone but I do hate the actions of some people when they do just you just did above. Thus, you have inadvertently proved my point.

So I guess we're done.
You obviously don't see your behavior. Or maybe you do, but don't want to change, because like I said, you admitted you have the problem, and at the time you admitted it, you were not saying it's worthy, so why are you justifying it now... unless you have grown to like it, because you can always make the excuse - "That person had it coming. I am right to behave this way. I am no hypocrite, because I am justified."
I think you are fooling yourself. That's all I will say.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Then I guess you'll have a hard time explaining this post.

Most of the time when I put someone on ignore is when I feel the debate may be getting too intense whereas I may overreact which, granted, I sometimes have done. And so that they know they're on my ignore list I'll p.m. them and say why I did as such. But in only rare cases do I leave someone on ignore for more than just a few days or maybe as long as a couple of weeks, and it's never for the reason you say but usually for nasty comments, especially ad hominem attacks. You haven't been on my list for many weeks now-- probably months.

So, you statement "Metis is like that" is an ad hominem in and of itself because it stereotypes the person, in this case me. Thus, you have inadvertently shown why I sometimes have put someone on ignore.

And, btw, I currently have no one on my ignore list.
I hope this is not a PM, you decided yo spread around in public.
If it is from another thread, it's all the same against RF rules. So please do the right thing, and remove it, if you don't want to be reported.

I won't tell people why you don't have anyone on ignore, and what you say and do, when you PM me.
I am sure you would not like that.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Actually, I've seen this a number of times.

It's usually when someone points out the harm caused by their policies on blood transfusions or reporting child sexual abuse to the police (i.e. how they're opposed to both).
A number of times sounds like a lot. If nPeace is guilty, you have my permission to provide a quote where I did.

lostwanderingsoul

I knew I couldn't have been alone, but sometimes it does feel as though I am on top of his list of people to bite.
You sort of get this image of a dog protecting it's buried bone at all costs.
... and rip you to pieces because you got too close.
iu
I'm pretty sure metis is a good guy. We all get a little defensive from time to time if you push the right buttons.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure metis is a good guy. We all get a little defensive from time to time if you push the right buttons.
Good guys according to the Bible, do not just like to hear only what they like to hear.
You know this too,
People that sound all nice, and behave all gentleman, when you say what they like to hear, but light a fire in your behind the instant you say anything they don't like to hear, only give the appearance of being good. They word for that is not good.
You know these things.

I understand what you are doing, and I have done the same. Maybe in time I will be more tolerant to hypocrisy, but this one has been a long one.
Sometimes too much kindness does no good.
you know theses thing, I'm sure.

(Proverbs 28:23) Whoever reproves a man will afterward find more favor Than someone who flatters with his tongue.

(Proverbs 29:21) If a servant is pampered from his youth, He will become thankless later on.

(Proverbs 27:5, 6) 5 Open reproof is better than concealed love. 6 The wounds inflicted by a friend are faithful, But an enemy’s kisses are plentiful.

I know there are other Proverbs we can apply, but there is a time for everything under the sun.

...but yes. There is some good in all of us. I do believe that. I'm sure metis has his, and I mentioned this to him before... I think. Long time.

lostwanderingsoul

Good guys according to the Bible, do not just like to hear only what they like to hear.
You know this too,
People that sound all nice, and behave all gentleman, when you say what they like to hear, but light a fire in your behind the instant you say anything they don't like to hear, only give the appearance of being good. They word for that is not good.
You know these things.

I understand what you are doing, and I have done the same. Maybe in time I will be more tolerant to hypocrisy, but this one has been a long one.
Sometimes too much kindness does no good.
you know theses thing, I'm sure.

(Proverbs 28:23) Whoever reproves a man will afterward find more favor Than someone who flatters with his tongue.

(Proverbs 29:21) If a servant is pampered from his youth, He will become thankless later on.

(Proverbs 27:5, 6) 5 Open reproof is better than concealed love. 6 The wounds inflicted by a friend are faithful, But an enemy’s kisses are plentiful.

I know there are other Proverbs we can apply, but there is a time for everything under the sun.

...but yes. There is some good in all of us. I do believe that. I'm sure metis has his, and I mentioned this to him before... I think. Long time.
I do not know the details of what has happened but you certainly have the right to feeel like you do. Maybe just let things cool off a while.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My biggest "problem" is that I tend to get quite angry with dishonesty, so when someone posts dishonesty, even when corrected with facts, I have to wonder what their supposed commitment to Truth and Honesty may be? In saying this, I am not referencing any specific person here.

Ya, that's my "hang-up, and it seem that Jesus had that exact same exact "hang-up" as he spoke out against people who did such things as well. I have no trouble with disagreement, but I do have a problem with dishonesty. And then to be accused of "hate", whereas I hate no one, that went way too far. Was there an apology when I explained I hated no one? Nope. To "bear false witness" is a sin, and not to even apologize when wronging someone after finding out the truth is also considered a sin.

My wife and I have disagreed on a great many things over the years, and yet we have been married for 53 of them, and only once did we go to bed angry with each other. The next morning we woke up and just laughed because we were being so stubborn. I don't have a problem with disagrerment, but I do have a big problem with dishonesty.

As far as my "ignore list", which has nothing in it as I now write, that's my business as I didn't violate any RF rules. If one thinks I did, then go to a moderator and complain.

Anyhow, I will no longer participate on this thread, thus I will be clicking on "unwatch..." right after this post. Nor will I respond to any posts directed at me.

Take care.