• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trigger warnings, not so great after all.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
They are a subtle form of censorship. People on the left need to buck the **** up and quit being precious little glass figurines. The world does not need to cater to them and they need to grow the **** up.

We Never Know

No Slack
They are a subtle form of censorship. People on the left need to buck the **** up and quit being precious little glass figurines. The world does not need to cater to them and they need to grow the **** up.

To be fair, there are glass figurines on the left and right.
Anymore it seems everyone is offended by everything.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
"Trigger warnings" regarded content that could trigger PTSD related flashbacks/panic attacks (think rape victims, war vets, etc.) and had nothing at all to do with censorship or being angered/offended. Of course, the term went on to be coopted/misapplied by your fedora wearing neckbeard types.

The Reverend Bob

"Trigger warnings" regarded content that could trigger PTSD related flashbacks/panic attacks (think rape victims, war vets, etc.) and had nothing at all to do with censorship or being angered/offended. Of course, the term went on to be coopted/misapplied by your fedora wearing neckbeard types.
It got coopted by the Tumblr crowd is what happened

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Seriously, would you really call a rape victim a "snowflake" and tell them to grow up for wanting to know if a movie contained a rape scene before watching it? That's what a "trigger warning" is, (or at least was.)

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
The Latest Study on Trigger Warnings Finally Convinced Me They’re Not Worth It

Looks like trigger warnings and the "pls don't offend meh" culture actually hurts people instead of helping them. Huh, who would have thought barring yourself in an echo chamber not allowed to be "offended" by new or different ideas would be detrimental to your mental health.

Guess it's time to melt some snow. :smilingimp:
I did not know what a trigger warning was. Well, at least not by that name. I have seen them, it turns out. For me, they mean that something interesting is coming up. Otherwise, I do not pay much attention to them.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Seriously, would you really call a rape victim a "snowflake" and tell them to grow up for wanting to know if a movie contained a rape scene before watching it? That's what a "trigger warning" is, (or at least was.)
It still is. People have to go looking for mostly out of context **** posting to support this 'offense culture' which is about as valid as 'I just want to be an ******* with no social consequence.'
They go on about trigger warnings with nonsense like this post but are eerily silent on any other form of content warning system such as TV and movie ratings.
Anyone who goes on about 'safe spaces coddling college students in echo chambers' knows precisely dick about cognitive behavioral therapy or what trigger warnings are actually for (spoiler, they're not avoidance tools an shouldn't be treated as such.)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
This thread makes me feel oppressed and woozy.

Enoch, I was hoping this was thread was going to have some *****'n AK47 footage. But now... I am sad and my feelings are hurting.

The Reverend Bob

Content warnings for people who have PTSD? What a terrible form of censorship!
I have PTSD,dude. I don't require trigger warnings because my theraputic team had enough foresight to help me develop my coping skills. And everyone claiming they experienced trauma have PTSD but just use their trauma to get special treatment and be catered to

Liu

Oh, that's a surprising result, thanks for sharing!

On another website where I am it's normal to add content warnings now and then if you mention e.g. rape since that website due to its purpose has a large demographic of mentally sensitive people.

It in that context actually seems like a good idea still since people go there in order to have an environment where they can discuss their issues freely and want to feel comfortable doing so. Therefore it would be a problem if someone who wants to change to a more "triggering" topic doesn't add some warning in order not to ruin some people's day who were not expecting that this topic could come up even in that place.

For popular media on the other hand (which is what the research is concerned with), it does make sense to not overdo the warnings lest the warnings themselves start causing anxieties but to instead help people get used to dealing with the real world when in the real world.

Well that website I was talking about is one of the few situations in which I encounter trigger warnings now and then - they seem to be fairly uncommon where I'm living.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I have PTSD,dude. I don't require trigger warnings because my theraputic team had enough foresight to help me develop my coping skills. And everyone claiming they experienced trauma have PTSD but just use their trauma to get special treatment and be catered to

So because you have PTSD, you can dismiss the flashbacks and panic attacks suffered by others with PTSD?
"So what if you watched your best friend's skull implode from a sniper's round! Stop being a ***** and let's watch some war films! You can still smell and taste the bits of blood and brain when you think about it? That's because you're a snowflake!"

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Like all good things it got abused and used by bad people. Had some handled it responsibly and not use it to manipulate people it would be a different story.

It still is. People have to go looking for mostly out of context **** posting to support this 'offense culture' which is about as valid as 'I just want to be an ******* with no social consequence.'

Nope, it's just people tired of walking on egg shells constantly in fear of a sjw shriek of offense because I blew my nose in public or some other arbitrary action that has no effect on them other than they can feign offense and use it to control how others act.

They go on about trigger warnings with nonsense like this post but are eerily silent on any other form of content warning system such as TV and movie ratings.

TV and movie rating systems don't sue people and try to ruin their lives by getting them fired.

Anyone who goes on about 'safe spaces coddling college students in echo chambers' knows precisely dick about cognitive behavioral therapy or what trigger warnings are actually for (spoiler, they're not avoidance tools an shouldn't be treated as such.)

Unfortunately they got abused as tools of avoidance and manipulation. Not the fault of actual victims, but the good always do suffer at the hands of the bad's actions.

The Reverend Bob

So because you have PTSD, you can dismiss the flashbacks and panic attacks suffered by others with PTSD?
I am not dismissing them at all, but those whom would envelope people into a cocoon of happy thoughts are. If you have this disorder many things can cause a panic attack not just words, people laughing once caused several for me. You can't stop the stimuli, stuff is going to happen and the best thing is to learn how to cope. Or numb yourself out on drugs so you can't feel or experience anything that might cause you to have an attack, I prefer facing my anxiety and coping

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nope, it's just people tired of walking on egg shells constantly in fear of a sjw shriek of offense because I blew my nose in public or some other arbitrary action that has no effect on them other than they can feign offense and use it to control how others act.
So far most I've met who use 'SJW' unironically have been dicks who just want to be able to say whatever they want with no social consequence. And much more ironically get really offended and sensitive when told they're being trollish, and people don't want to be around them.
TV and movie rating systems don't sue people and try to ruin their lives by getting them fired.
Been spending a lot of time on reddit? Incidentally the ratings system have most definitely got people fired, usually by trying to get around it because they care about how much more money they can get in a certain ratings bracket.
Unfortunately they got abused as tools of avoidance and manipulation. Not the fault of actual victims, but the good always do suffer at the hands of the bad's actions.
It's like one of the same three transphobic jokes about the 'did you presume my gender?' Really comes from blowhards, not actual trans folks, but has become the blowhard rallying cry for 'how transgenders act'. The nonsense of 'you'll get sued if you're not pc enough' is similarly laughable.

h.jpg

What a selfish snowflake trying to control my behavior and coddle them!

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
On a more direct note, trigger warnings are not nor were they ever meant to replace therapy post trauma. It is not about isolating yourself from possible triggers. It's specifically meant to be an information tool so you can make informed decisions about when and what kind of media you're going to consume in the moment. This is especially handy *during* treatment phases where you will have up days and down days more frequently as you're digging into sensitive topics.

The problem highlighted by the article is not trigger warnings, it's that our country has absolutely ****** mental healthcare and a lot of people, particularly low income people, can't afford it so a lot of trauma goes unaddressed, making triggers worse.
The solution to which is definitely not removing trigger warnings, but providing inexpensive Health Care access.

But even then, very few people 100% get past traumatic events. I am a child molestation survivor and I have been 'triggered' by media exactly once since I was a kid. I didn't get mad at the media or wanted it to be taken down. But I did think a content warning was a good idea. So did the creators, because after it was brought to their attention (not by me) they decided to include one.

If anyone thinks that's 'shrill outraged sjw infringing muh free speech' then those people really aren't worth my, or anyone's time.