• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trigger Warning: They Aren't Good for You

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I...didn't? I quoted a post with how tw got into the common vernacular, and said that content warnings, like tw, are useful for making informed choices.
All content warnings are meant for making informed decisions about what you're watching.
And then I launched into a rebuttal these things came about from uptight parents and people like Tipper Gore, and discussed some of the history behind these things.
One of the more interesting things, Tipper Gore gave a sexualized--and inaccurate--interpretation of a Twisted Sister song. Dee Snyder, testifying before Congress, insists it is not his fault of the "senator's wife has a dirty mind."
And it's often Conservative Christians behind these things. Because they believe they should enforce their morality on the rest of us.
They don't do these for us, they do it for themselves.
The study doesn't actually demonstrate it's not useful. All it says is that it doesn't cushion the blow, which nobody was arguing.
They were intended to do that, that is the purpose of their creation, and they are failing.
Moving the goal posts doesn't change things.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yes. The people who use TW aren't medical professionals, though. It's up to the person if he or she wants to click on the material but the people who put TW shouldn't be held liable because their viewer's health worsened while another viewer was thankful getting the same message.
They get used in real life. This is mentioned in the articles had you read them. These studies are revealing the problems of this. They don't work, and they can make things worse.
I see no logic behind keeping them or defending them. When it comes to the body, after the body has been through trauma pretty much every patient says it hurts when the treatment regiment starts to include physical movement. And that's because it does hurt. But the staff does not coddle that. They support the patient and encourage them through the pain, but ultimately they do make the patient do things that hurt.
There is a time when such things are avoided. I won't deny it. But it's impossible to predict everything that can stab someone emotionally and after a time the avoidance becomes detrimental. If recovery was based on what was painless, crutch use would be greatly prolonged. The mind isn't much different. Learning to cope is far greater than avoidance.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
They get used in real life. This is mentioned in the articles had you read them. These studies are revealing the problems of this. They don't work, and they can make things worse.

I can see why in many cases it doesn't work since people have the choice to click on material.

Refer to post #11.

Trigger warnings aren't used to help suffers. It's just a common curtesy, like R ratings and X ratings, so whomever is about to watch said material can choose to watch something else. It's like putting a yellow wet-floor sign. It doesn't mean the sign will work (there may be statistics on it, I don't know), it just means whomever sees it has been warned.

The study is looking into this more than there needs to be. Trigger warnings weren't made to help or harm viewers. That depends on the sufferer and what help he or she is able to receive.

I see no logic behind keeping them or defending them. When it comes to the body, after the body has been through trauma pretty much every patient says it hurts when the treatment regiment starts to include physical movement. And that's because it does hurt. But the staff does not coddle that. They support the patient and encourage them through the pain, but ultimately they do make the patient do things that hurt.

I'm defending that sufferers have choose to click on TW material. Some can't just "go into the real world" but they don't Need trigger warnings, it's just very useful for those who are deciding whether to watch a said material or not.

I dont understand how the rest of this relates to your comments.

There is a time when such things are avoided. I won't deny it. But it's impossible to predict everything that can stab someone emotionally and after a time the avoidance becomes detrimental. If recovery was based on what was painless, crutch use would be greatly prolonged. The mind isn't much different.

Learning to cope is far greater than avoidance.

It took me a bit to get what you're saying. TWs aren't meant to make people avoid traumatic material. There's no internal meaning behind the the phrase. Decisions and actions are how people cope with trauma or avoid it. The person can either continue to watch the material or not, but that doesnt mean the don't want to face the real world, it just means they ideally know what's best for their health. Its one thing if you don't have a choice to be in a traumatic environment, but if you have a choice whether to be subject to a trigger or not, its best to avoid it for one's well-being than stick your hand in the fire just because "that's life."

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Everything has had a trigger warning for like generations. Isn’t that why we have the ratings system on like every media excepting print?
And even then that updates every so often
America does seem to have a lot more than other countries though. Just from my perspective when I visited. Just to put that out there

RestlessSoul

Sometimes they can be a little superfluous. If I'm about to watch something on Netflix and I see "Warning, may contain strong language, violence, or sexual imagery", there's a good chance I'm going to think, "I should hope so too. It's about Vikings."

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The world itself doesn't have this.
And I have been through things that made it so seeing certain things on TV did rip open a fresh and very deep emotional wound. But it would be absurd to warn people of material that contains a character who shares a very deep bond with a brother. And there isn't much hiding from the topic of drug abuse. That one especially if someone is that sensitive that the subject of it is upsetting therapy will have to be sought for coping because the topic is inescapable in social discourse, especially in regards to the opioid epidemic.

We know there are some things we can avoid and other things we don't have a choice. TW just gives the person that choice of things they can control. It's not used to block people from watching content. So, if I had issues with drug abuse, I can definitely turn the channel if I saw the trigger warning and had an idea of what's coming. I can't avoid the environment where by scenario there are other drug users around. It's not an either or. Therapy can help people cope in the "real" world. TW can help to those who wish to use it. It's a choice.

Avoiding the real world when it comes to traumatic triggers is not the same as TW.

The problem I see here is assuming that people "should" live in the real world and face their problems. It's not ideal for every single person. What I see you doing is putting everyone in a boat and compare it to what you've experienced. Everyone's trauma affects them differently. Someone who has gotten raped and someone who has had long term emotional neglect is not one over the other in how it affects the person. It depends on the person not the traumatic situation...

with that in mind, we both have choices to watch material that may or may not trigger us. But TW isn't related to the outside real world. Maybe you have a better handle on your traumatic experiences than others, but that doesn't excuse how people react to it-some need the TW and others do not. But the only way one can deal with the real world from a trauma is really professional help. If I based it on my situation, I'd say no.... I had bad issues with therapist.

But it really isn't about me.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Everything has had a trigger warning for like generations. Isn’t that why we have the ratings system on like every media excepting print?
And even then that updates every so often
America does seem to have a lot more than other countries though. Just from my perspective when I visited. Just to put that out there
Because of moral crusaders and concerned pearl clutching moms taking it upon themselves to be the moral guides of America. Doesn't matter if they are wrong about their interpretations of art, they think it is their place, right, duty, and obligation to coddle and shield us from things they personally do not like.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Except there have been examples where they are used in the real world. Ignoring this doesn't change that fact.

It's not the same.

People "could" get worse by TW. Not saying there isn't a relationship. Just saying TW aren't for that purpose...and people are triggered more by the material than the warning not to watch it.

But I was referring to two things

1. Seems like you're over generalizing people and comparing it to your situation to theirs

2. Seems like you're saying sufferers should face the real world and not depend on TW.

I'm saying it's unrealistic to compare sufferings

And on that note some people benefit from TW others don't. No black and white.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's not the same.

People "could" get worse by TW. Not saying there isn't a relationship. Just saying TW aren't for that purpose...and people are triggered more by the material than the warning not to watch it.

But I was referring to two things

1. Seems like you're over generalizing people and comparing it to your situation to theirs

2. Seems like you're saying sufferers should face the real world and not depend on TW.

I'm saying it's unrealistic to compare sufferings

And on that note some people benefit from TW others don't. No black and white.
Did you even read the articles or keep up with this thread? I'm not even talking about me. Though I have hated trigger warnings ever since they popped up their ugly heads, I am citing several studies that all suggest trigger warnings do not work and they can make things worse, and they also gave examples of them being used in the real world.
And as I've been saying all along, crutches are fine for awhile but after that they hinder and impede recovery. That's not me either. That's just routine post-surgery care. You have to learn to cope without, and the mind isn't much different.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Did you even read the articles or keep up with this thread? I'm not even talking about me. Though I have hated trigger warnings ever since they popped up their ugly heads, I am citing several studies that all suggest trigger warnings do not work and they can make things worse, and they also gave examples of them being used in the real world.
And as I've been saying all along, crutches are fine for awhile but after that they hinder and impede recovery. That's not me either. That's just routine post-surgery care. You have to learn to cope without, and the mind isn't much different.

I told you post 711 (will double check) as what I referred to. I also said I was replying to your comments. I've already said my comments about the article and I dont follow "all" people's conversations.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Because of moral crusaders and concerned pearl clutching moms taking it upon themselves to be the moral guides of America. Doesn't matter if they are wrong about their interpretations of art, they think it is their place, right, duty, and obligation to coddle and shield us from things they personally do not like.
Well ratings was always more of a guideline, really. I mean I can’t begrudge a parent not wanting to show their 10 year old an R rated movie (R by Australian standards is like only suitable for people 18 and over.)
But other than that ehh. I suppose if someone is legitimately suffering like PTSD I wouldn’t have an issue with giving them a heads up.
But I do agree that the Pearl clutchers are annoying af

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well ratings was always more of a guideline, really. I mean I can’t begrudge a parent not wanting to show their 10 year old an R rated movie (R by Australian standards is like only suitable for people 18 and over.)
But other than that ehh. I suppose if someone is legitimately suffering like PTSD I wouldn’t have an issue with giving them a heads up.
But I do agree that the Pearl clutchers are annoying af
I still stand parents need to screen things and be informed about the things their children are taking in.
And, in some cases, I can see a heads up in media. Like Happy Tree Friends. It's understandable how that can be severely misinterpreted by the intro and style of animations and songs and such, and the unsuspecting would be in for quite the shock, but the things that tended to start the trends on such labels? Doom? Quake? Mortal Kombat? NWA? Slayer? Do you really need warned about what contents lie within? South Park on Comedy Central should be all that is needed. But they made a great one for South ParQ Vaccination Special (albeit it does only exist because things have gotten out of hand).
south-park-disclaimer.jpg

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I still stand parents need to screen things and be informed about the things their children are taking in.
And, in some cases, I can see a heads up in media. Like Happy Tree Friends. It's understandable how that can be severely misinterpreted by the intro and style of animations and songs and such, and the unsuspecting would be in for quite the shock, but the things that tended to start the trends on such labels? Doom? Quake? Mortal Kombat? NWA? Slayer? Do you really need warned about what contents lie within? South Park on Comedy Central should be all that is needed. But they made a great one for South ParQ Vaccination Special (albeit it does only exist because things have gotten out of hand).
south-park-disclaimer.jpg
Oh wow. We don’t have anything like that. Well not on Video games anyway. CDs/Vinyls I guess have an “adult content” warning but it’s just that. A sticker with the words adult content on it lol
We do have a “viewer discretion is advised” warning on programs that are rated M and above. Which is fair enough. Not everyone will instantly know everything about a program or movie they’re about to watch on telly
We also have a warning for Aboriginal and Torres straight islander people if a program depicts people who have since died. But I always assumed that it was against their spiritual practices/beliefs to view such images and just shrugged it off as a courtesy.