• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trigger warning: Prolife with exceptions? Abortion debate.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
BTW, @columbus - you didn't really answer my question, but I take it from your response that the answer is "yes - you only support injustice for pregant people":
Does your position on this issue lead you to support any policies that might impose injustice on yourself some day, or do you only support ones that would impose injustice on pregnant people?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
BTW, @columbus - you didn't really answer my question, but I take it from your response that the answer is "yes - you only support injustice for pregant people":
No.
I don't think that requiring competent adults to take responsibility for the predictable outcome of their Choices, when those outcomes involve another human being, to be injustice.
Any more than requiring a motorist to take responsibility for hitting a pedestrian with their car is an injustice.
Tom

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No.
I don't think that requiring competent adults to take responsibility for the predictable outcome of their Choices, when those outcomes involve another human being, to be injustice.
Any more than requiring a motorist to take responsibility for hitting a pedestrian with their car is an injustice.
Tom
You would compel a woman to provide her body for another "person" during pregnancy on the grounds that a "life" is at stake and that the woman is responsible for the situation, but once the child is born, you would not compel the father to provide, say, bone marrow or a kidney, despite the fact that the father is no less responsible and a life is no less at stake.

This is hypocritical.

At least, it's hypocritical if you value the man and the woman equally.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You would compel a woman to provide her body for another "person" during pregnancy on the grounds that a "life" is at stake and that the woman is responsible for the situation, but once the child is born, you would not compel the father to provide, say, bone marrow or a kidney, despite the fact that the father is no less responsible and a life is no less at stake.

This is hypocritical.

At least, it's hypocritical if you value the man and the woman equally.
You are misrepresenting me, as you generally do.
If the father made a Choice resulting in the need for a bone marrow transplant, and nobody else could provide one, I would require it.
It just doesn't happen often enough to become a legal issue.
Tom

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You are misrepresenting me, as you generally do.
If the father made a Choice resulting in the need for a bone marrow transplant, and nobody else could provide one, I would require it.
He made the same choice that the mother made: to have sex.

Just as pregnancy is a foreseeable consequence of having sex, having kids with health issues is a foreseeable consequence of having sex.

He knew that there was a chance that he could end up a parent of someone who needed some of his tissue to live and he chose to roll those dice. Now he should live with the consequences, regardless of how he feels about it... no?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
He knew that there was a chance that he could end up a parent of someone who needed some of his tissue to live and he chose to roll those dice. Now he should live with the consequences, regardless of how he feels about it... no?
As usual, you misrepresent my opinions.
Pregnancy is the extremely predictable outcome of certain forms of sex. Some freakishly rare bone disease is not.
I would agree that he should deliver the bone marrow. He did father a kid. Most of the real dads I know would do it.
But that isn't the same as writing a law.
If such bone disease were an ordinary occurrence I would probably support such a legal requirement. But it isn't, so it's a total strawman argument.
Tom