• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trigger warning: Prolife with exceptions? Abortion debate.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No. A glob of non specialized cells is not a recognizable functional human.
Read more carefully. A pregnant person is not "a glob of non specialized cells."

My point was that no discussion of whether the fetus is a person deserving of human rights should lose sight of the fact that the human being carrying that fetus is unquestionably a person deserving of human rights. The anti-choicers tend to forget this.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Sooo...God sits around and actually cogitates on a linear time basis? IMHO, any time you try to incorporate human traits and characteristics on God, then your not talking about god.
I'd argue the opposite: a god is a device used by humans to relate to the universe or aspects of it. Human traits and characteristics are the whole point.

shmogie

Read more carefully. A pregnant person is not "a glob of non specialized cells."

My point was that no discussion of whether the fetus is a person deserving of human rights should lose sight of the fact that the human being carrying that fetus is unquestionably a person deserving of human rights. The anti-choicers tend to forget this.
No, I don't forget it. However, preservation of a human life trumps another's lesser rights.

Though my moral position is that at conception a soul exists, legally that idea to most would be unacceptable. Constitutionally it would be a very difficult case to make.

I have no interest in pressing my moral positions on others if a Constitutional protection for those positions doesn't exist.

The already referred to clump of non specialized cells to the average non religious person is not a human.

An unborn child with a beating heart, limbs eyes functioning brain, is.

Thus my belief that abortion should be readily available for those in the first trimester.

Abortion is the perfect storm of clashing emotion and swirling assertions of rights.

Hardliners on both sides will never view the other sides position.

A reasoned approach that can give the most possible to both sides is the best that can be hoped for

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
No, I don't forget it. However, preservation of a human life trumps another's lesser rights.

Though my moral position is that at conception a soul exists, legally that idea to most would be unacceptable. Constitutionally it would be a very difficult case to make.

I have no interest in pressing my moral positions on others if a Constitutional protection for those positions doesn't exist.

The already referred to clump of non specialized cells to the average non religious person is not a human.

An unborn child with a beating heart, limbs eyes functioning brain, is.

Thus my belief that abortion should be readily available for those in the first trimester.

Abortion is the perfect storm of clashing emotion and swirling assertions of rights.

Hardliners on both sides will never view the other sides position.

A reasoned approach that can give the most possible to both sides is the best that can be hoped for
This might be the most nuanced post I have ever read from you.
Kudos!

Nevertheless, I don't consider the Constitution to be Holy Writ. We have gotten far more sophisticated, morally and ethically, than the liberal elitists of the 1700s. And we are dealing with issues that didn't even exist at the time. The Founding Fathers couldn't have imagined a safe surgical abortion any more than an AK-47 or blacks as a voting bloc.

Tom

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Why do some people want someone's rights override those of another?
I'm not getting it.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Sorry, me bad, it was assumed that any life-threatening event would be an exception. I should have said so. Thanks for pointing it out.
Fair enough. Personally, I'm uncomfortable with the idea of a court being involved at all. I'm fine with late-term abortion outside of emergencies. At that point, it's euthanasia of a fetus with serious disorders. Either way, I think it's a personal decision to be made with a doctor.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Why do some people want someone's rights override those of another?
I'm not getting it.
It happens all the time.
If I put my car in gear, I am taking responsibility for certain predictable outcomes.
If I hit a pedestrian, it doesn't matter if I meant to or was trying to be extremely careful. It doesn't matter how inconvenient taking responsibility for my Choice might be.
I Chose to drive. I have taken what is generally known as "implied consent". I owe somebody who I hit with my car a fairly substantial degree of compensation and support. No matter what I meant or felt entitled to before it happened.

Drive a car, and you are taking on a huge degree of responsibility.

Same with sex. Involve another human being (which sex often does) and you owe a debt to another human being if they get involved because you chose something.

"It's inconvenient.
Or, I didn't mean to.
Or ,whatever."
You can't just blow off the circumstances you create for others.
No. Just No.
Tom

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Fair enough. Personally, I'm uncomfortable with the idea of a court being involved at all. I'm fine with late-term abortion outside of emergencies. At that point, it's euthanasia of a fetus with serious disorders. Either way, I think it's a personal decision to be made with a doctor.
Yeah, it's complicated. As a male, with no skin in the game, as it were, I'm willing to concede on the need for a court OK. I should have instantly seen the potential for getting bogged down in a bureaucratic limbo, because not only would you have to get the judicial OK but you have to go through the rigamarole of just getting to them too. Meanwhile, time is ticking. Probably not my best idea to date.

Thanks to @9-10ths_Penguin @BSM1 and yourself for helping to change my mind a bit.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yeah, it's complicated. As a male, with no skin in the game, as it were, I'm willing to concede on the need for a court OK. I should have instantly seen the potential for getting bogged down in a bureaucratic limbo, because not only would you have to get the judicial OK but you have to go through the rigamarole of just getting to them too. Meanwhile, time is ticking. Probably not my best idea to date.

Thanks to @9-10ths_Penguin @BSM1 and yourself for helping to change my mind a bit.
You have as much skin in the game as any woman who cannot get pregnant.
And we certainly wouldn't deny her the right to opine about abortion rights.

Btw, I dislike the phrase, "between the woman & her doctor". The doctor may
offer counsel & service, but the decision rests solely with the pregnant woman (IMO).
If she doesn't like her doc, or if he refuses the service, she may find another.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
You have as much skin in the game as any woman who cannot get pregnant.
And we certainly wouldn't deny her the right to opine about abortion rights.

Btw, I dislike the phrase, "between the woman & her doctor". The doctor may
offer counsel & service, but the decision rests solely with the pregnant woman (IMO).
If she doesn't like her doc, or if he refuses the service, she may find another.

Doctor only in the aspect of giving a woman the medical or clinical information concerning her choice. Also the medical alternatives if any.