• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TRIGGER WARNING: I'm prochoice now.

Shad

Veteran Member
It's very difficult to find a doctor who will tie the tubes of a young woman who has not had children.

I doubt that

"You may meet a man who wants to have children" is the line most often given for refusal of sterilization. Also, it is not unusual for the tubes to grow back, especially in younger women. (I know a woman who had a baby after tubal ligation.)

Find a doctor that does transitions for TGs. They have no ethical issues about doing permanent damage to one's reproductive organs even a child's

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I doubt that
Would you like me to provide more references? You can google it up yourself.

Find a doctor that does transitions for TGs. They have no ethical issues about doing permanent damage to one's reproductive organs even a child's
There used to be lists of doctors who would do the procedure on young childless women, but I can't find them anymore. :(

Shad

Veteran Member

I told you what doctors have no ethical issues. So your point in moot.

There used to be lists of doctors who would do the procedure on young childless women, but I can't find them anymore. :(

Try less ethical doctors as I suggested.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Could it be that lists are no longer needed because
docs aren't so restrictive these days? I know your
linked article is recent, but it's also rather agenda laden.

Note:
I'm not challenging your claim....I'm just skeptical.
One would expect that what with all the female doctors
practicing these days, they'd be willing to let patients
make their own decisions.

Last edited:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I doubt that
Well, as a young, childless woman I'm sure your doubt is very justified.

Seriously, though, I can attest to the truth of this. My partner has been trying to have a hysterectomy for years and, despite her multiple medical conditions causing her excruciating, debilitating pain every time she has a period that often can continue for up to a week after her period has ended, and despite the fact that she makes it explicitly clear she has no interest in ever becoming pregnant, it has taken nearly a decade for the doctors to finally start the process of giving her the medical treatment.

Of course, this is just a single example based on the NHS in the UK, but it certainly rings true to me that women really have to scratch and claw for years to be taken seriously before doctors will consider allowing them a hysterectomy.

crossfire

Premium Member

Note:
Here's an article from Canada about it:
Why is it so hard for some women to get their tubes tied?

Shad

Veteran Member
Well, as a young, childless woman I'm sure your doubt is very justified.

I am a close to middle-age father.

Seriously, though, I can attest to the truth of this. My partner has been trying to have a hysterectomy for years and, despite her multiple medical conditions causing her excruciating, debilitating pain every time she has a period that often can continue for up to a week after her period has ended, and despite the fact that she makes it explicitly clear she has no interest in ever becoming pregnant, it has taken nearly a decade for the doctors to finally start the process of giving her the medical treatment.

This is messed up. My sister in law had medical issues which require operations on her reproductive system which would render her completely unable to reproduce. The operation goes well beyond getting her tubes tied. The doctors here have no issues doing the operation. She is the one that declined to go forward with the operation

Of course, this is just a single example based on the NHS in the UK, but it certainly rings true to me that women really have to scratch and claw for years to be taken seriously before doctors will consider allowing them a hysterectomy.

Really messed up. I am assuming due to the nature of the private vs public system in the UK going to a private practitioner would be costly?

crossfire

Premium Member

Note:
New York Times:
Opinion | How Doctors Fail Women Who Don’t Want Children

Chicago Tribune:
Doctors reluctant to give young women permanent birth control

The Guardian about it in the UK:
Why can’t I get sterilised in my 20s? | Holly Brockwell

Sydney Morning Herald Australia
https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/it...-control-of-their-bodies-20160724-gqcs6l.html

News Corps Australia
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/female-sterilisation-one-womans-14year-battle-to-find-a-doctor-willing-to-sterilise-her/news-story/07417d010f8b3ffcbfa008e39752677e

Last edited:

crossfire

Premium Member
I support everyone's right to make dubious decisions about their
own body. But we also need a legal system which protects
practitioners from lawsuits based upon a change of mind.
I'm wondering why men can get vasectomies on-demand without having to procure anyone else's permission to do so, but young women can't get their tubes tied on-demand with the same courtesy? The tubal ligation procedure still requires a consent form.