• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trigger warning: Does 100% birth control exist?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Does asking a rapist to put on a condom work?

We're talking about consensual sex and family planning here; now sit down and stop being silly.
I'm just saying that "just say no" and "close your legs" are not the foolproof solutions you seem to think they are. They're also kind of sexist and blame the woman for it.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So you're suggesting there are those that lack the ability to make a choice?

A strong argument can be made that such people to in fact exist.

As an example, there are many psychological situations that put that ability in doubt. Borderline personality disorder, for instance.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
An argument against abortion which is based upon its not being necessary
sometimes rests upon the assumption that anyone who becomes pregnant
has failed in some manner. And this failure justifies denial of the abortion
option.
This is a Catch 22, ie, if one doesn't need an abortion, one is moral enuf
to deserve one. If one does need an abortion, one is unworthy because
of personal failure....one might say "immorality".

Axe Elf

Prophet
I'm just saying that "just say no" and "close your legs" are not the foolproof solutions you seem to think they are.

Axually, they ARE foolproof solutions. But like any other contraceptive, they don't work at all if they are not used.

They're also kind of sexist and blame the woman for it.

It's sexist to believe that a woman should have the right to control her own body? I thought that was all the rage these days. If you absolutely, positively, don't want a baby, control your own body and absolutely, positively, don't engage in sex. Same goes for the man, for that matter--and I would say even more so for him, because he's not always afforded the same opportunity to decide if his accidentally-conceived child lives or dies.

If it's not sexist to allow the woman to control her own body AFTER conception, then it's not sexist to suggest that she control her own body BEFORE conception as well.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I would never think of doing such a thing. I am proposing a method of birth control that is 100% effective.
In theory it's perfect.
All the theory requires is people who obey 100% of the time.
But this model doesn't apply in the real world.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Axually, they ARE foolproof solutions. But like any other contraceptive, they don't work at all if they are not used.

It's sexist to believe that a woman should have the right to control her own body? I thought that was all the rage these days. If you absolutely, positively, don't want a baby, control your own body and absolutely, positively, don't engage in sex. Same goes for the man, for that matter--and I would say even more so for him, because he's not always afforded the same opportunity to decide if his accidentally-conceived child lives or dies.

If it's not sexist to allow the woman to control her own body AFTER conception, then it's not sexist to suggest that she control her own body BEFORE conception as well.
Too bad your view of it isn't based on reality. We know this because of how much of a failure abstinence only education is.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Well, the guy has kangaroo feathers in his hat, and the kangaroo, you'd assume, has kangaroo feathers so, um... Both? Maybe?
What do the troops do, just pluck 'em out of a close passing kangaroo, or just wait for the seasonal eclipse?

Why does this thread title start with 'trigger warning'?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member

Too bad your view of it isn't based on reality. We know this because of how much of a failure abstinence only education is.
That's abstinence education done poorly by people who want to shelter their children from something that they WILL have to deal with, whether the parents have their heads in the sand or not. At my school, we learned about abortion, the pill, condoms, cervical caps, vasectomies, and getting your tubes tied. We learned that condoms work until they break, the pill almost always works as long as you remember to take it unless some shenanigans happen, cervical caps are really effective but getting them put in and taken out is both literally and metaphorically a pain, vasectomies work but no man ain't letting no knife or pair of scissors get close to his man-parts unless his life depends on it, and getting your tubes tied should never be done unless you 100% don't ever want kids. We learned about all that stuff. But the best, absolutely foolproof way to 100% not get pregnant or contract STD's? Don't bump uglies. That's what we learned in health class.

Axe Elf

Prophet
In theory it's perfect.
All the theory requires is people who obey 100% of the time.
But this model doesn't apply in the real world.

C'mon. You people aren't idiots. You know that no method of birth control works when it isn't used. The effectiveness of birth control methods is based on the presumption that they are actually used. When the pill is USED, it is 91% effective. When condoms are USED, they are 98% effective. When a diaphragm is USED, it's 88% effective. But Axe, you say, all of those methods are ineffective when they are not used!

No kidding!

When it is used, abstinence is 100% effective in preventing pregnancies. Obviously, it fares much worse when it is not used.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That's abstinence education done poorly by people who want to shelter their children from something that they WILL have to deal with, whether the parents have their heads in the sand or not.
I am confident that changing the subject from 100% effective birth control to lousy sex ed is a strawman.
If anybody in this thread suggested that "abstinence only" sex ed is effective at producing self control in the real world, I missed the post.
Personally, I think age appropriate sex ed should start in primary school. It should already be underway before kid's hormones start kicking in and causing all sorts of problems.
I staunchly support organizations like Planned Parenthood, because they prevent abortions. Far more than they facilitate. Unfortunately, nobody counts abortions that didn't happen because the sex partners had sufficiently effective birth control to prevent pregnancy.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
C'mon. You people aren't idiots.
Don't be so quick to judge.
You know that no method of birth control works when it isn't used. The effectiveness of birth control methods is based on the presumption that they are actually used. When the pill is USED, it is 91% effective. When condoms are USED, they are 98% effective. When a diaphragm is USED, it's 88% effective. But Axe, you say, all of those methods are ineffective when they are not used!

No kidding!

When it is used, abstinence is 100% effective in preventing pregnancies. Obviously, it fares much worse when it is not used.
I know what you're saying.
But 100% theoretical effectiveness doesn't make abstinence useful for all.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No, it doesn't !
You keep changing the subject from abstinence to "abstinence only" educational techniques. It's a strawman.
Abstinence is 100% effective.
Tom
Nope. You need to be a realist. Most people cannot abstain. Abstinence is a pro-abortion policy.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Nope. You need to be a realist. Most people cannot abstain. Abstinence is a pro-abortion policy.
BS
All competent adults can abstain. And abstinence is 100% effective.
But since lots of people don't want to abstain, there's a host other methods that hugely reduce the risk of pregnancy. If a dude wears a condom and his partner is on The Pill, the risk is reduced nearly to zero.

"Abstinence" isn't a policy. It's a Choice. "Abstinence only education" is a policy, one I consider ridiculously ineffective. Why do you keep bringing it up in response to me? I think it's just a strawman you resort to because what I am claiming is true, but doesn't support your agenda.
Tom