• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trickster God

Boethiah

Penguin
Not sure if this belongs here, but I'm seeking an answer so :D

Is there a religion that views God as a mischievous trickster? A God who created the universe for his/her own amusement or plays games with mortals, etc? Is there a religion where this type of God is major in their pantheon?

Thanks!

The Neo Nerd

hmmm that's an interesting question.

Some trickster type gods are benevolent and give humans the gift of knowledge etc.

But as far as creation for the sake of amusement i've never heard of it.

-Q

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Not sure if this belongs here, but I'm seeking an answer so :D

Is there a religion that views God as a mischievous trickster? A God who created the universe for his/her own amusement or plays games with mortals, etc? Is there a religion where this type of God is major in their pantheon?

Thanks!

Yeah Gnosticism and Asatru. In Gnosticism the OT god is bad and the NT god is good. In Asatru, Loki is the trickster.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I say....take our pick.

Scan about this forum and you will see every possible division you could possibly hope to find.

Yet...there is only one God.

The Neo Nerd

There are other trickster type gods.

The american indians have the coyote.

In the greco/roman pantheons their is eris/discord.

Certain pagan paths have a trickster archetype as a member of their triad.

But none of them are creator types.

-Q

Rainbow Mage

-Q

Yes, some consider Set in the Kemetic pantheon a trickster, but Set is far from it. Set is a very serious personality type.

Boethiah

Penguin
I considered Gnosticism, but I ruled that out of my mind because the God there is viewed as "Bad", rather than just a trickster. What I have in my mind is a God that may have been worshipped or recognized because this God has created the world for the sake of creating, and that all of creation is just a mass stage. I admit, I could be more educated with Gnosticism though.

I have also done some research into Loki. If Norse mythology is correct (and my understanding along with it), he is chained up. I guess it follows that the deity that would represent possible destruction would be seen negatively in a community of people.

I am surprised that there are no religions that have seen the creator God as some sort of prankster. But, then again, I'm really not. I will look into these suggestions though, and take any others. :eek:

Rainbow Mage

I considered Gnosticism, but I ruled that out of my mind because the God there is viewed as "Bad", rather than just a trickster. What I have in my mind is a God that may have been worshipped or recognized because this God has created the world for the sake of creating, and that all of creation is just a mass stage. I admit, I could be more educated with Gnosticism though.

I have also done some research into Loki. If Norse mythology is correct (and my understanding along with it), he is chained up. I guess it follows that the deity that would represent possible destruction would be seen negatively in a community of people.

I am surprised that there are no religions that have seen the creator God as some sort of prankster. But, then again, I'm really not. I will look into these suggestions though, and take any others. :eek:

Not all who practice Asatru accept the myth of Loki being chained up. A book I read of Norse mythology said the myth is of late Christian origin, and that most scholars in Norse myth reject it as relevant to Norse belief.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

-Q
One reason might be that the creator and the trickster are different roles in the creation story: one to bring things into being, and the other to transform our way of viewing things.

The Neo Nerd

One reason might be that the creator and the trickster are different roles in the creation story: one to bring things into being, and the other to transform our way of viewing things.

I don't know much about the coyote of American Indian law, perhaps painted wolf could enlighten us.

I guess the trickster god rears it's head due to the human minds fascination with duality and opposites.

The creator god represents order, the trickster god represents chaos.

-Q

Thief

Rogue Theologian
*SIGH* just couldn't help yourself could you. Really was it neccessary?

There's plenty of thread here at the forum....describing God as anything but kind.

Some people think the angels have no freewill.
Therefore, any harm done by them is of God.

Some people go further to say God created evil....and all personifications of evil.

Some people think the book of Job is a telling of God testing a man....
to an extreme....and actually sending the devil to do the harm.

And do you not feel like you are part of some obscene play...
now and then?

Is it not all a trick?...until you have the 'inside info'?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis

Perhaps you could have a look at the Sikh and Hindu paths; they believe what separates us from God is His "maya", or "illusion". What about this? Does that help? :)

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar

In Asatru (Germanic/Norse religion) while Loki is considered the trickster god, Odin has been known to have fun (by tricking I mean giving a good hearted hard time and or teaching a lesson) to others. He gave Thor (his son) a bit of a hard time/poking fun at him while disguised as a ferryman. But it was just a bit of fun, maybe a bit of a lesson in watching your tongue and not letting pride get the better part of you, or you may just wind up making more work for yourself. (You can read about this story in the Lay of Hárbarðr.)

Rainbow Mage

In Asatru (Germanic/Norse religion) while Loki is considered the trickster god, Odin has been known to have fun (by tricking I mean giving a good hearted hard time and or teaching a lesson) to others. He gave Thor (his son) a bit of a hard time/poking fun at him while disguised as a ferryman. But it was just a bit of fun, maybe a bit of a lesson in watching your tongue and not letting pride get the better part of you, or you may just wind up making more work for yourself. (You can read about this story in the Lay of Hárbarðr.)

Right Wayfarer in mythologies which speak of the mischevious or dark gods, they always serve the purpose of teaching people lessons. Set is much the same way.

1am1ion

as far i can tell all religions speak of a trichster god
the ones i know of
creating the world for their amusment
well the identity of such a god must be concealed oerhaps with an alter ego ?
otherwise people would kill him/her by refusal to worship
which is what gods [demons] feed off.

Rainbow Mage

as far i can tell all religions speak of a trichster god
the ones i know of
creating the world for their amusment
well the identity of such a god must be concealed oerhaps with an alter ego ?
otherwise people would kill him/her by refusal to worship
which is what gods [demons] feed off.

Seriously, one should never equate the gods with demons. They are quite opposite.

Erebus

Seriously, one should never equate the gods with demons. They are quite opposite.

How so?

Boethiah: I don't know about a Trickster God who created the world, but for an interesting look at the trickster archetype in general, perhaps take a look at Discordianism.