• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Treatment of converted Christians

Skwim

Veteran Member
I'm only guessing that the Orthodox DIR is the best Jewish subgroup for this question.

In the mid 50s my aunt, who was raised a Christian, fell in love and married a Jew (I don't know what kind). She renounced the Christian religion and adopted the Jewish faith---maybe she had to do so in order to marry; I don't know. :shrug: In any case, over the years she became a devote and involved Jew, but never felt fully accepted among the other Jewish women in her temple. I seriously doubt this was a personality problem because she was a very likable person. I recall her telling my mother, her sister, that the various womens groups were less than welcoming, and that quite a few of the Jewish women were even cold and stand-offish toward her. She remained a Jew until her death.

My question is, is it possible that this could be typical or common in some way? Have you ever seen or heard of this kind of attitude toward converted Christians before? Or could it be more common within one Jewish movement than another?

I invite everyone to share their experiences or knowledge of similar experiences.

If there are none, and her experience was a true anomaly, all the better. :thumbsup:

Thanks.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I'm a former Christian who converted to Judaism, and I've never felt outside of the group. Granted I spend most of my time within the Conservative side of the house, but my interactions with Orthodox Jews have been equally welcoming.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
I'm only guessing that the Orthodox DIR is the best Jewish subgroup for this question.

In the mid 50s my aunt, who was raised a Christian, fell in love and married a Jew (I don't know what kind). She renounced the Christian religion and adopted the Jewish faith---maybe she had to do so in order to marry; I don't know. :shrug: In any case, over the years she became a devote and involved Jew, but never felt fully accepted among the other Jewish women in her temple. I seriously doubt this was a personality problem because she was a very likable person. I recall her telling my mother, her sister, that the various womens groups were less than welcoming, and that quite a few of the Jewish women were even cold and stand-offish toward her. She remained a Jew until her death.

My question is, is it possible that this could be typical or common in some way? Have you ever seen or heard of this kind of attitude toward converted Christians before? Or could it be more common within one Jewish movement than another?

I invite everyone to share their experiences or knowledge of similar experiences.

If there are none, and her experience was a true anomaly, all the better. :thumbsup:

Thanks.

I know that I risk, once again, abusing the hospitality of the Orthodox DIR, but......

I know that what your aunt experienced has occurred. I've read the accounts of some of those to whom this has occurred. I've heard stories from time to time from the friends and relatives of those to whom it has occurred, but I have personally never observed it in any congregation of which I have been a part - as congregant or rabbi. Even one occurrence of this is unacceptable, but I do not think it all that common. To the extent it does happen, I do not believe it is limited to only one movement within Judaism.

rosends

In Orthodox Judaism, one is not accepted as a convert if the motive is to get married. One can argue that this is not historically mandated, but regardless, it is the norm now. Also, someone whose conversion was not through the Orthodox stream and process would not be fully accepted as a convert. However, someone who converts according to the demands of Orthodoxy is to be accepted as 100% Jewish -- the conversion is not to be brought up and we do not remind the convert of his former ways.

Skwim

Veteran Member
In Orthodox Judaism, one is not accepted as a convert if the motive is to get married. One can argue that this is not historically mandated, but regardless, it is the norm now. Also, someone whose conversion was not through the Orthodox stream and process would not be fully accepted as a convert. However, someone who converts according to the demands of Orthodoxy is to be accepted as 100% Jewish -- the conversion is not to be brought up and we do not remind the convert of his former ways.
Is it necessary to convert to Judaism in order to be married in a temple?

rosends

Is it necessary to convert to Judaism in order to be married in a temple?
A Jewish wedding an be performed most anywhere (some prefer outside), so the notion of "in a temple" is not particularly important. However, a congregation might have its own set of rules about what kinds of weddings it will rent its space to in the same way that an officiant might say that there are only certain kinds of weddings he will run. Other denominations of Judaism that might allow for other forms of conversion, or not discourage intermarriage would probably be fine with having ceremonies on their grounds.

dantech

A Jewish wedding an be performed most anywhere (some prefer outside), so the notion of "in a temple" is not particularly important. However, a congregation might have its own set of rules about what kinds of weddings it will rent its space to in the same way that an officiant might say that there are only certain kinds of weddings he will run. Other denominations of Judaism that might allow for other forms of conversion, or not discourage intermarriage would probably be fine with having ceremonies on their grounds.
However, an Orthodox Rabbi will not officiate if both are not Jewish.