• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Translation of Kitab i Aqdas (The most Holy Book)

Monotheist 101

I was wondering if the current translation distributed by the UHJ is a good representation of the original text authored by Bahaullah. If so is there any way to be sure and what is the oldest translation I can get my hands on?

arthra

Baha'i
Thanks for your post "monotheist" and welcome to the Baha'i Forum...

You wrote above:

"I was wondering if the current translation distributed by the UHJ is a good representation of the original text authored by Bahaullah. If so is there any way to be sure and what is the oldest translation I can get my hands on?"

The Kitab-i-Aqdas was revealed in Arabic around 1873 and there were some early translations ... One was by a Christian missionary and so on..

http://bahai-library.com/provisionals/aqdas/aqdas001-003.html

Kitáb-i-Aqdas (Most Holy Book)

Shoghi Effendi the acknowledged interpreter of the Baha'i Writings also produced a summary and synopsis of the Kitab-i-Aqdas before the current translation.

The Most Holy Book

In my view the most accurate translation into English authorized by the Universal House of Justice is the best.. An online edition:

Kitáb-i-Aqdas

;)

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
I was wondering if the current translation distributed by the UHJ is a good representation of the original text authored by Bahaullah. If so is there any way to be sure and what is the oldest translation I can get my hands on?

1. Yes it is a good representation,.
2. Yes, provided you are familiar with the original language and skilled with the art of translation, as well as being familiar with Baha'i teaching.
3. I don't know how to obtain earlier translations, however I suppose the question to be asked is, are you after the earliest translation or the most accurate translation? To the best of my knowledge there are only translations by individuals prior to the Universal House of Justice translation, which may make it the only peer reviewed translation.

Last edited: