• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Transgenders

We Never Know

No Slack
I'm confused because it seems I see mixed signals/claims from posters so I'm just going to flat out ask...

How many transgender people here have fully completed the transition(all surgery, etc)?

If you don't want to answer that is fine.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Im a 20 year old college student living on disability and barely working above minimum wage. I ain't got the money for any surgery let alone surgery that ain't covered by insurance. Also as a nonbinary person gender nullifaction surgery is complicated.

We Never Know

No Slack
Im a 20 year old college student living on disability and barely working above minimum wage. I ain't got the money for any surgery let alone surgery that ain't covered by insurance. Also as a nonbinary person gender nullifaction surgery is complicated.

I have no clue what nonbinary person gender nullifaction surgery is.

If I may ask, are you M-to-F or F-to-M.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I'm confused because it seems I see mixed signals/claims from posters so I'm just going to flat out ask...

How many transgender people here have fully completed the transition(all surgery, etc)?

Why does it matter if they do? Not all Transgender people want to fully transition.... It's expensive and painful.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Why does it matter if they do? Not all Transgender people want to fully transition.... It's expensive and painful.
Let’s not discourage curiosity or someone asking questions. I find that is a great deterrent in fostering understanding.
But you’re right. Even in Australia, a country that actually has universal healthcare, transitional surgery can be quite expensive
(I shudder to think of the US costs.)
Because right now it’s seen as an option thing, for the most part. Not by medical professionals, but by the government, just to be clear. Hopefully that will change in the coming years. Idk.

We Never Know

No Slack

"Not all Transgender people want to fully transition" Didn't know that.

"It's expensive and painful" That's a given. .

Asking promotes understanding.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Not trying to be gruff. I can be crabby in the morning.
Would you like some coffee?:):D
upload_2022-9-15_1-46-31.gif

We Never Know

No Slack
Let’s not discourage curiosity or someone asking questions. I find that is a great deterrent in fostering understanding.
But you’re right. Even in Australia, a country that actually has universal healthcare, transitional surgery can be quite expensive
Because right now it’s seen as an option thing, for the most part. Not by medical professionals, but by the government, just to be clear. Hopefully that will change in the coming years. Idk.

"Let’s not discourage curiosity or someone asking questions. I find that is a great deterrent in fostering understanding"

Exactly! If something is going to be understood, questions need be allowed.
If no questions allowed, don't complain because its not understood.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
"Let’s not discourage curiosity or someone asking questions. I find that is a great deterrent in fostering understanding"

Exactly! If something its going to be understood, questions need be allowed.
If no questions allowed, don't complain because its not understood.
I wholeheartedly agree.
What you have to also understand though is that throughout history, there’s been a lot of questions posed but not asked in good faith.
I think yours was, to be clear. I think you want to understand something foreign to your understanding. And that’s admirable.

Some folk though just want to ask a fake question just as an excuse so they can belittle others. So there can be a wall of defensiveness up, for that reason.
Don’t take such defensiveness to heart, would be my advice. It’s nothing personal, I think
:)

We Never Know

No Slack
I wholeheartedly agree.
What you have to also understand though is that throughout history, there’s been a lot of questions posed but not asked in good faith.
I think yours was, to be clear. I think you want to understand something foreign to your understanding. And that’s admirable.

Some folk though just want to ask a fake question just as an excuse so they belittle others. So there can be a wall of defensiveness up, for that reason.
Don’t take such defensiveness to heart, would be my advice.
:)

If my memory serves me right, I've seen some discuss as if they have then discuss as if they haven't. That left me a little confused.

Transgender mentally vs physically.
When I say mentally, I mean living as
When I say physically, I mean has fully transistioned.

Does a transgender post surgery view a transgender lacking surgery as their equal? Or vise-versa?

Edit....

Examples where physically and mentally differences aren't viewed as equals....

A body builder doesn't view a scrawny person as their equal.

A barbie doesn't view a homely looking girl as her equal.

A person with a big penis doesn't view a person with a small one as their equal.

A person with a high IQ doesn't view a person with a lower IQ as their equal.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
If my memory serves me right, I've seen some discuss as if they have then discuss as if they haven't. That left me a little confused.

Full disclosure I’m Cis (a person who is not trans.)
So I can only speculate as to others’ experiences.
I try my best to be an ally. (Actually for religious reasons funnily enough.)
But I can understand such confusion.
What we have to understand is that we’re talking about a marginalised community that has been largely abused for a long time now. Folks might not be as “open” even now about their experiences. They might not be fully honest even. Unfortunately that’s to be expected. Just give some more time for people is my advice. Be patient. As infuriating as that can be. Folks even now might not feel safe disclosing such information or might even forge fake info.
I mean not everyone was upfront with their sexual orientation during the height of homophobia, after all. Even now some folks aren’t comfortable sharing.
I can understand feeling frustrated at the lack of upfront honest information. I sincerely do. My advice is to be patient and not be too judgemental. There is a lot of trauma here.

Transgender mentally vs physically.
When I say mentally, I mean living as
When I say physically, I mean has fully transistioned.

I’m no psychologist so I’m afraid I can’t help you here.

Does a transgender post surgery view a transgender lacking surgery as their equal? Or vise-versa?

Edit....
Again I’m Cis, so I can’t say for certain. Sorry
But I have seen such sentiment in the community. Whether that’s an old mentality yet to be “cleansed” I cannot say.

Examples where physically and mentally differences aren't viewed as equals....

A body builder doesn't view a scrawny person as their equal.

A barbie doesn't view a homely looking girl as her equal.

A person with a big penis doesn't view a person with a small one as their equal.

A person with a high IQ doesn't view a person with a lower IQ as their equal.
Whilst such judgements are indeed present, they’re also quite flawed by default. A human error if you will.
I can only speak as a Cis person, so I can’t give you any meaningful answers. At least in relation to this query, since I don’t have such an experience. Hopefully others can.
I will say though, in this specific instance it’s probably best to assume that our experiences isn’t the “norm.”

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

I am cis, and I just want to commend you on asking questions, but also a warning not to draw hard conclusions about an entire community from what will certainly be a small number of respondents.

It is good to keep an open mind and seek greater understanding, but we will never fully understand someone else's life. That is why I am disinclined with my limited understanding and tell someone else how to live their life. Even a transgender person should not be allowed to make decisions about how another transgender person lives.

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

I guess that is why having a diagnosis is helpful for insurance issues, and having a diagnosis in the DSM is good for legal standing in a lawsuit.

We Never Know

No Slack
I guess that is why having a diagnosis is helpful for insurance issues, and having a diagnosis in the DSM is good for legal standing in a lawsuit.

I think we have had a discussion about the DSM before. If I remember correctly most don't like the using of the DSM because it suggests a mental health disorder.