• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Transgenderism

Maria Morrell

A human being is born as one of two absolute genders, male or female. Some anomalies occur such as hermaphrodites, but that is not my point. Why should individuals be able to change their genders based on a feeling rather than listening to the common laws of genders. If an individual has XX as their chromosomal pair, then they are female. If they have XY, they are male. Why should they be allowed to change it.

Orbit

I'm a planet
A human being is born as one of two absolute genders, male or female. Some anomalies occur such as hermaphrodites, but that is not my point. Why should individuals be able to change their genders based on a feeling rather than listening to the common laws of genders. If an individual has XX as their chromosomal pair, then they are female. If they have XY, they are male. Why should they be allowed to change it.

Because they might be xxy or xyy or xo. Because they might have a brain structure that is one gender, while the chromosomes indicate the opposite gender. Nothing in biology is so black and white, the norm is variation.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
A human being is born as one of two absolute genders, male or female. Some anomalies occur such as hermaphrodites, but that is not my point.
So must we exclude the evidence that hermaphrodites provide? In fact calling them anomalies is not accurate, since they continue to be born everywhere. According to The Intersex Society of North American, 1 in every 1500 children requires a sex expert to determine their physical gender. That means in a world population of 5 billion there are probably 3, 300, 000 worldwide at any given time. That is a decent sized city full of intersex people. We can't just ignore that.

Why should individuals be able to change their genders based on a feeling rather than listening to the common laws of genders.
Based on a feeling? Lets distinguish feelings from whims. It really depends, but some feeling are beyond control. Feelings are what drive us, and they can also depress and kill us. A person has a duty to themselves and others to make themselves healthy as they can. Remember the Boy Scout Oath "On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times, to keep myself physical strong, mentally awake and morally straight." Now if a person has got overpowering internal drives which hinder them from being mentally awake and morally straight perhaps they are better off making a physical change. It is very difficult to argue that we should stop them.

If an individual has XX as their chromosomal pair, then they are female. If they have XY, they are male. Why should they be allowed to change it.
Usually XY or XX chromosomes bring along with them the emotional drives necessary to maintain a particular way of life, but sometimes they don't. To put it another way are you a person or merely a set of chromosomes?

Ellen Brown

About 2% of the population is born not XX or XY. I am XXY,AIS and some other stuff. The Bible does actually make provision for all of us. "Love God, and love your neighbor as yourself". None of us "abnormals" had a choice in how we are born. It is not like there is the choice of refusing to be born.

Jeremiah Ames

What is the “common law of gender”?

Just curious.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I think it's best first to understand the difference between sex and gender. Some want to change their sex to align with their gender. Gender is predominate and sex is secondary. We aren't defined by our genitals. Whatever brain structure that makes us male and/or female is what makes one male and/or female.

My question is, if you did not have genitals and sex organs, what would make you male or female? Would you be male or female? Why or why not?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Socially, even the Bible has more than two genders, and biologically it is hardly as clean, simple, or easy to definitively say "XX = female, XY = male." Nature, overall it seems, doesn't care for rigid order and clearly defined "either-or"s like we humans do.

Maria Morrell

I think it's best first to understand the difference between sex and gender. Some want to change their sex to align with their gender. Gender is predominate and sex is secondary. We aren't defined by our genitals. Whatever brain structure that makes us male and/or female is what makes one male and/or female.

My question is, if you did not have genitals and sex organs, what would make you male or female? Would you be male or female? Why or why not?

In response to what would determine my gender, it would be my chromosomes. According to my chromosomal makeup, I would still be female, as God created me to be.

Maria Morrell

Because they might be xxy or xyy or xo. Because they might have a brain structure that is one gender, while the chromosomes indicate the opposite gender. Nothing in biology is so black and white, the norm is variation.
What brain structure would determine one's gender? In the cases where the individual is XX or XY, why should they be allowed to alter what their DNA has determined.

Maria Morrell

So must we exclude the evidence that hermaphrodites provide? In fact calling them anomalies is not accurate, since they continue to be born everywhere. According to The Intersex Society of North American, 1 in every 1500 children requires a sex expert to determine their physical gender. That means in a world population of 5 billion there are probably 3, 300, 000 worldwide at any given time. That is a decent sized city full of intersex people. We can't just ignore that.

Based on a feeling? Lets distinguish feelings from whims. It really depends, but some feeling are beyond control. Feelings are what drive us, and they can also depress and kill us. A person has a duty to themselves and others to make themselves healthy as they can. Remember the Boy Scout Oath "On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times, to keep myself physical strong, mentally awake and morally straight." Now if a person has got overpowering internal drives which hinder them from being mentally awake and morally straight perhaps they are better off making a physical change. It is very difficult to argue that we should stop them.

Usually XY or XX chromosomes bring along with them the emotional drives necessary to maintain a particular way of life, but sometimes they don't. To put it another way are you a person or merely a set of chromosomes?

I am not excluding those born as hermaphrodites. I am speaking purely in those who are born with the Chromosomes either XX or XY. Feelings should not cause us to alter our bodies in any way. One can strongly dislike the body that they are born with, but that is completely normal and people all around the world are forced to live with it. Why should a select few get to change something about themselves that they dislike. If someone was overweight and they showed no intention of loosing excess weight that made them hate themselves, would it be right for them to not try to accept what they have been given and make the best of it like the rest of the population. They are free to act however they choose, but they should not be allowed to alter the body that they were given in order to change something of that nature.

Maria Morrell

About 2% of the population is born not XX or XY. I am XXY,AIS and some other stuff. The Bible does actually make provision for all of us. "Love God, and love your neighbor as yourself". None of us "abnormals" had a choice in how we are born. It is not like there is the choice of refusing to be born.

I am not saying that these people are not loved. They are just an exception. I posted purely asking about those who are born with gender that fits into the XX and XY categories. I am not trying to offend you in any way.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not excluding those born as hermaphrodites. I am speaking purely in those who are born with the Chromosomes either XX or XY. Feelings should not cause us to alter our bodies in any way. One can strongly dislike the body that they are born with, but that is completely normal and people all around the world are forced to live with it. Why should a select few get to change something about themselves that they dislike. If someone was overweight and they showed no intention of loosing excess weight that made them hate themselves, would it be right for them to not try to accept what they have been given and make the best of it like the rest of the population. They are free to act however they choose, but they should not be allowed to alter the body that they were given in order to change something of that nature.
I don't follow your logic. In fact this seems more like army regulations than a moral position. Feelings are not fleeting and are that which enable us to live. Take for example someone who is depressed: their feelings are attempting to kill them. It is part of the natural order that sad people die, yet we don't allow that. We buck the natural order, and we do it for moral reasons.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I deleted the others and wanted to address these as a whole
In response to what would determine my gender, it would be my chromosomes. According to my chromosomal makeup, I would still be female, as God created me to be.

Are you your chromosomes?

How do you know who you are as a male or female if it is only defined by chromosomes and sex?

What brain structure would determine one's gender? In the cases where the individual is XX or XY, why should they be allowed to alter what their DNA has determined.

Gender has to do with the mind and sex with the organs. We are a combination of our gender and sex. So, what makes me a woman is not just by chromosomes, sex, and organs. Outside of those, I am female because that is how I think and "be." You and I probably do not know what that means because we are not transgender. However, for me, I'm not defined by my sex, chromosomes, and organs; so, there is a "me" that makes me a female (in other words, I know I am not a male without looking down there), I just. Know. Not knowing doesn't make it immoral. We just don't know.

I am not excluding those born as hermaphrodites. I am speaking purely in those who are born with the Chromosomes either XX or XY. Feelings should not cause us to alter our bodies in any way.

One can strongly dislike the body that they are born with, but that is completely normal and people all around the world are forced to live with it. Why should a select few get to change something about themselves that they dislike. If someone was overweight and they showed no intention of loosing excess weight that made them hate themselves, would it be right for them to not try to accept what they have been given and make the best of it like the rest of the population. They are free to act however they choose, but they should not be allowed to alter the body that they were given in order to change something of that nature.

It's not fully relate to ones feelings. Put feelings and identity aside, transgenderism is when someone experiences gender dysphoria.

Gender dysphoria is a diagnosis that refers to people whose gender at birth is contrary to the one they identify with. It is a product of highly complex genetic, neurodevelopmental, and psychological factors.​

Feelings are involved, yes. A lot of distressful ones. They are the result of one having GD not the cause of it.

You would have to understand what gender is apart from sex. Once you understand the differences, it may be easier to understand it before you disagree.

I am not saying that these people are not loved. They are just an exception. I posted purely asking about those who are born with gender that fits into the XX and XY categories. I am not trying to offend you in any way.

How can someone be loved if they are considered an "Exception"?

The consensus is

1. We are born with two aspects that make us male or female: gender and sex

2. For majority, our sex/organs/chromosomes (SOC) and our identity as a male and female because of these things is our gender.

3. One person would be born male: both SOC but their identity as a male or female does not match their SOC (their body).

4. So, they become distressed. Some people (so hear testimonies from young people going through this) if not most don't like their physical bodies. It isn't just "I'm depressed, let me change my sex" it's much deeper than that. It's the core identity of them is not what it should appear to be.

5. So, the idea is that gender (mind that makes one male and female) and SOC, when aligned, when we see our bodies we think "that's us. I'm a woman/man." Not so in transgender. So, it's not a feelings thing. It's involved but it's an identity thing.

Two things, though.

a. You would have to understand what gender. Not even medical doctors understand it fully

b. That, and if you haven't felt a pull in your identity and finding it growing up as many youth do, it would be hard to understand.

When you don't understand it, it's hard to say whether one should change their sex or not. Kinda of like saying one shouldn't have medication even though they have depression because it's all about feelings.

Goes deeper than that.

Ellen Brown

Thank you. So far we do not have a way to measure unanticipated factors that influence gender. I do have the suspicion that those who counsel those who think they might be another gender, are too energetic.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Feelings should not cause us to alter our bodies in any way.
Altering my body over feelings is why I have a tattoo (just one for now) and several piercings. Losing weight is altering my body, and it has a lot to do with feelings. Make up is altering the body, and it revolves around feelings.
but they should not be allowed to alter the body that they were given in order to change something of that nature.
I have a cadaver cartilage in my knee to alter what nature gave me. It's inevitable that I'll need a knee replace, again to change what nature gave me. I also wear glasses, because what nature gave me makes it a bit difficult to make out details from a distance.
And why shouldn't they be allowed to? Because you don't like it?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's not one particular structure but the overall brain shape. A brain is pretty much a brain, but there are nevertheless some subtle differences between a male and female brain. The brains of transgender people looks more like what they identify as (which nature/DNA gave them) rather than what they were assigned at birth (which DNA also gave them).

Orbit

I'm a planet

Chromosomes aren't the only part of the biological structure of gender. There is also anatomy, brain structure, and hormones which can develop in the opposite direction from each other. It's science, baby!

HonestJoe

Feelings should not cause us to alter our bodies in any way.
That seems like an extremely far-reaching statement. Are you sure you wish to hold to it?

Why should a select few get to change something about themselves that they dislike.
It isn’t a select few being given the option, anyone could take up the same option if they want and need to.

If someone was overweight and they showed no intention of loosing excess weight that made them hate themselves, would it be right for them to not try to accept what they have been given and make the best of it like the rest of the population.
If they have no desire to change their body by losing weight then obviously they would have to come to terms with who they are. Equally, plenty of people with various forms of gender identity issues don’t choose to take any medical intervention, maybe even not making significant changes to their natural appearance as they’ve come to terms with who they are.

Others wish to go a different way and that is their choice. An overweight person, especially one who is overweight due to genetic or medical conditions can and should get support in losing weight, up to and including surgical options available where appropriate for their individual circumstances. A person with gender identity issues should similarly have support available and may seek surgical options as appropriate to them.

They are free to act however they choose, but they should not be allowed to alter the body that they were given in order to change something of that nature.
Really? Have you had a haircut recently? :cool: