• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Transgender People Welcomed by The Church of England

The Holy Bottom Burp

Thoughts on this? Church of England vote overwhelmingly in favour of welcoming transgender people As far as I'm concerned it is welcome progress, not even thinkable a few decades ago. Historically the Christian church, like so many religious institutions, had an unhealthy obsession with sex and sexuality, this is perhaps a sign that times are changing? Whatever, small steps perhaps, but something to be welcomed as far as I'm concerned.

The Holy Bottom Burp

They were unwelcome before?
I think the fact that they had a vote to decide whether they were going to welcome transgender folk answers your question! ;) Seriously, there are many liberal churches within the CoE, so the chances are being LBGT is not an issue in many of them. This is significant though because it puts an 'official seal' on it and makes a declaration about changing societal attitudes.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Thoughts on this? Church of England vote overwhelmingly in favour of welcoming transgender people As far as I'm concerned it is welcome progress, not even thinkable a few decades ago. Historically the Christian church, like so many religious institutions, had an unhealthy obsession with sex and sexuality, this is perhaps a sign that times are changing? Whatever, small steps perhaps, but something to be welcomed as far as I'm concerned.

How does the church define transgender?

The Catholic Church accepts LGBQ on the grounds that they define us as people with disorders or something or other in their CCC who needs to be cured.

They dont accept transgender because they recognize only the sex of a person thinking the sex defines that persons gender rather than the other way around.

How does the Church of England define trasgender? By sex? By gender? As a disorder?

The Holy Bottom Burp

How does the church define transgender?

The Catholic Church accepts LGBQ on the grounds that they define us as people with disorders or something or other in their CCC who needs to be cured.

They dont accept transgender because they recognize only the sex of a person thinking the sex defines that persons gender rather than the other way around.

How does the Church of England define trasgender? By sex? By gender? As a disorder?
I think this answers your question, the CoE appears to accept them "just as they are" (to paraphrase a hymn!) CoE to vote on welcome ceremony for transgenders

"bishops overwhelmingly backed a motion calling for a ban on "unethical" conversion therapy for gay Christians."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Satanists? :D

Ok, I must confess, I've been inside plenty of churches for various functions. I didn't melt, but Jesus didn't seem any more real to me either. :D
I do melt in churches.
I find them creepy, even though I once worked for a Methodist church (misc gofer & janitorial tasks).

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I do melt in churches.
I find them creepy, even though I once worked for a Methodist church (misc gofer & janitorial tasks).

They make me sleepy mostly... and too much exercise... all that kneeling, standing, and sitting...

And... the wine is terrible...

Kapalika

Premium Member
They make me sleepy mostly... and too much exercise... all that kneeling, standing, and sitting...

And... the wine is terrible...

It makes you wish they would just settle on a single position! It's normal for guys to get tired after that tho, and well ya they could get better wine lol

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Would the True Christians please stand up?

As far as I can tell, Christianity doesn't really mean anything important. From UUs to Westboro Baptist Church, to the various RF members who all seem like Christians to me (even if they don't have a single important belief in common).

Christian is a label people put on themselves. It's large and vague when someone wants to believe that Christianity is the biggest religion ever. It's a little bitty cult when someone wants to believe that they, personally, know what God really meant by all that. But it doesn't actually mean anything specific.

There is no Christianity. There is only people who consider themselves to be Christian.
Tom

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Given its sagging attendance in recent years it's little wonder the church of England would open its doors a little wider.
Not just the CoE, all churches are struggling with congregation numbers.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I think its important to understand that humans are not perfect in this world. Some have defects in their vision, their hearing, their physical form, their mental health. I see homosexuality as just another defect, no worse than being born with any other abnormality. Some people are born with wiring problems, hormonal issues and brain chemistry imbalances.....its not the defect, but how it manifests that is the issue, (scripturally speaking.)

We all know that pedophilia is something abhorrent to those who aren't pedophiles. The sexual abuse of children is something that is unacceptable to those who do not suffer with the disorder......yet it is accepted as normal among those with the disorder even though it is punishable by law. Can a pedophile stop being a pedophile? I don't think so......but they can learn to control their leanings because what they do is abhorrent to others....an offense to the law and to God.

Becoming a worshipper of the God of the Bible, brings with it the notion of sacrifice. What does it mean to "sacrifice" something to God? The Israelites knew what sacrifice was.....they had to offer the very best they had, to God. Not that he needed what they were offering, but by the act itself, God was able to see how much the individual making the sacrifice, loved him.

I believe that it is no different with homosexuality. In the Bible, sex is reserved for a married couple with a view to producing a family from that union. This was an arrangement reserved exclusively for a husband and wife, not same sex couples. It is homosexual acts that God finds unnatural and perverted. They are not designed to produce children.

God does not hate homosexuals but he respects those who can overcome their natural inclinations....born with defects as children of Adam.

If a person loves God more than they love themselves or anyone else, they will sacrifice what is valuable to them, knowing that ultimately a reward is reserved for them because of that sacrifice. The larger the sacrifice...the bigger the reward.

For those who care more about what "they" want, God gives them the freedom to do as they please.....there is just no reward because one was not sought. Free will can be exercised by all but all decisions have outcomes. If you choose the course, you choose the outcome. You can't have your cake and eat it too.