• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Transgender FAQ

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Most often, it is due to medical conditions, if SRS is denied, as such a surgery, and even replacing the bodies natural hormones with artificial hormones of the opposite sex, is EXTREMELY traumatic to the body. Even just changing ones hormones can cause alot of complications, such as blood clots.
While estrogen can be dangerous (even in non trans women), testosterone doesn't carry nearly as much risk. Although there is some risk to the liver, with proper monitoring of blood levels such risks are taken down quite a bit. As long as you don't take it orally now (it also comes as an injection and a gel) you're pretty much safe. :)
Money is another issue, as it does get costly. Another reason some do not get SRS, is the are satisfied with the rest of there body reflecting the appearance of the opposite sex. Sometimes, the overall appearance and funtionality of the new genitals is another reason, but from what I understand, this happens much more often in the female - to - male transexuals.
Keep in mind that the genitals aren't the only thing that gets surgery for FTM individuals; most everyone gets "top surgery", which is chest reconstruction.

TurtleGirl

Not a Member
Most often, it is due to medical conditions, if SRS is denied...

Very good point! There are many medical reasons why someone may be denied. One concern I have is that I am seriously overweight. Before I can undergo SRS I'll need to lose a considerable amount of weight because otherwise the anesthesia alone is far too risky.

... replacing the bodies natural hormones with artificial hormones of the opposite sex, is EXTREMELY traumatic to the body.

Yes, another very good point.

Also, the therapy is intended to be a filter, to seperate those who are transexuals, from those with some other disorder, such as bipolarism or split personality, or the person has a fetish.

I know one of the considerations is that they want to make sure the change is not being made for some perceived benefit from being the other sex. The change has to be due to genuine Gender Identity Dysphoria and not because someone thinks they'll gain some sort of life advantage or other boon from changing sex.

Money is another issue, as it does get costly.

One of my transsexual acquaintances currently preparing for surgery told me it's now costing $20,000 for the surgery itself. Add on to that the cost of ongoing hormone therapy, psychotherapy and everything leading up to and following the surgery itself and it gets very expensive. Sometimes medical insurance will cover SRS, but in most cases it doesn't. Hormone therapy is a little easier to cover with insurance though not necessarily easy. Psychotherapy is perhaps the only easily insured expense in the transitioning process. I'm planning to save at least $50,000 over the next few years as I plan to transition. It means I'll be working two jobs (or more depending on how things go) to make this happen.

Another reason some do not get SRS, is the are satisfied with the rest of there body reflecting the appearance of the opposite sex.

Yes, there are non-op transsexuals that are able to successfully live out their lives with convincing gender expression and feel they don't need SRS. Being transsexual does not mandate SRS, but in most cases it is the only treatment (combined with hormone therapy) for Gender Identity Disorder.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk is a book that involves trans* issues, but I can't really talk too much about it because it's a majour spoiler.

Maybe you could add in something about the GLB/T divide, a little not-well known history lesson, though that's increasingly in the past...

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Maesi: I'll add that in once I get some spare time... probably a bit after I get home. I was trying to figure out what else I could add to the FAQ, and was thinking about hormones and the myths surrounding them, but the divide between the LGBT community is something I hadn't even considered!

Dr. Nosophoros: That question always amuses me, to be honest. :D I don't know what it feels like to be a woman or a man, do you? I just know that I am absolutely miserable in this body because it has breasts, a vagina, and a uterus, and that I feel a bit happier when I bind my chest and present myself and am treated as a guy.

TurtleGirl

Not a Member
I don't know what it feels like to be a woman or a man, do you? I just know that I am absolutely miserable in this body because it has breasts, a vagina, and a uterus, and that I feel a bit happier when I bind my chest and present myself and am treated as a guy.

Wanna trade? :D But seriously, that's exactly how I feel, only the other way around. I have long felt a disconnect with my body, like I didn't belong in it. I can't stand dressing as and being recognized as male. When painted wolf or the few friends in the know refer to me as a woman, there's this incredible sense of "Ah! Now THAT sounds right!"
I am really bothered by the lack of breasts and would rather not have a penis but instead a vagina.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Wanna trade? :D
I've always maintained that research needs to go into a "you give me yours, I'll give you mine" trans organ donation thing. :D
But seriously, that's exactly how I feel, only the other way around. I have long felt a disconnect with my body, like I didn't belong in it. I can't stand dressing as and being recognized as male. When painted wolf or the few friends in the know refer to me as a woman, there's this incredible sense of "Ah! Now THAT sounds right!"
I know exactly what you mean. :yes: When I first felt so out of place in my body I looked into things like otherkin and therianthropy, which I thought explained it. But it wasn't until I realized that trans people are like everyone else and that it's okay for me to be trans that it finally clicked. (Which took far longer than I like to admit... I do live in the south. :eek:)

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
What the hell are with the tags on this? "Virgin", "minority", "America", "pray", "sexuality"? Is there a way to delete or change them?

dani_

Sorry for thread necromancy but thankyou so much Jaymes for this thread. it is well put together and a very nice resource.

To Ardent:
In answer to your question it is not usually denied or refused SRS although that can happen with medical complications. Usually it is a matter of finding a balance within your life you can live with. Some have issues in their lives, family, friends, jobs, obligations and these things are significant enough in their lives and their gender dysphoria is controllable enough that they can live without SRS.

To quote what Dr Mildred Brown the author of True Selves tells her patients when they come to her "Expect to spend every penny you have in the world in order to suffer more loss than you ever imagined possible."

Transition is not easy for anyone. Dr Sarah Becker has a great letter explaining GID. I would post a link but I have not made 15 posts yet and cannot.

I have my small TG support site with links at this.to

Being transsexual is not something I would wish upon my worst enemy. Yet it is my life experience, it is what it is and I am what I am.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
To quote what Dr Mildred Brown the author of True Selves tells her patients when they come to her "Expect to spend every penny you have in the world in order to suffer more loss than you ever imagined possible."
That sounds fairly accurate. Some are lucky, some are not. But in the end, it is up to the individual to decide if the price to go through a metamorphosis like non other is worth it or not.

Being transsexual is not something I would wish upon my worst enemy.
I thought of this, thought it might be true, but then I wondered. Would it be such a curse if society was more accepting of us? That if the world didn't look at us like freaks, would the pains of denial and acceptance, the losses of transition, and bouts of depression be an issue if the world filled with more love and less hate? If help was more readily available, would the frustrations and depressions even linger into adult hood if more kids could get help with it?
In my mind, being liberated to be yourself is the highest achievable goal, and worth the price.