• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

transcending from our material body could redefine the concept God?

Vik.Marquet

Hey Guys,

I’ve always been kind of fascinated with the image of God. More specific with the human form
God always seems to have. I think these visualisations fall short on the whole concept of God.
What I mean by that is that traditionally speaking the concept of God is not really human at all. In a way he, she or it stands far beyond us.

Now I've been wondering if our body seems to be the reason why we give God a human shape. There is this theory called 'Embodied Cognition' which basically tells us that our cognition is highly influenced by our body. Even researchers are using this theory for the creation of artificial intelligence. They believe that 'true intelligence' is not only based on what's inside or brain, but is also determined by a body.
Therefor I've been asking myself the following question; If we are able to (technologically) transcend the material body, could it be we will develop a new reference from where we can redefine God?

New technologies could presents us great opportunities to redefine this existing image of God or to experience God in (a) new way(s).

Let me know what you think!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You may define "God" however you want. I don't think you have much of a choice, as a matter of fact.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
God is Spirit, not physical. I don't understand why people think we are created in his physical image. We are created in his spiritual image, ie we are sentient.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Hey Guys,

I’ve always been kind of fascinated with the image of God. More specific with the human form
God always seems to have. I think these visualisations fall short on the whole concept of God.
What I mean by that is that traditionally speaking the concept of God is not really human at all. In a way he, she or it stands far beyond us.

Now I've been wondering if our body seems to be the reason why we give God a human shape. There is this theory called 'Embodied Cognition' which basically tells us that our cognition is highly influenced by our body. Even researchers are using this theory for the creation of artificial intelligence. They believe that 'true intelligence' is not only based on what's inside or brain, but is also determined by a body.
Therefor I've been asking myself the following question; If we are able to (technologically) transcend the material body, could it be we will develop a new reference from where we can redefine God?

New technologies could presents us great opportunities to redefine this existing image of God or to experience God in (a) new way(s).

They might fall short of representing the true image of God, but Jesus does not look like a velociraptor. He looks pretty human to me.

And if Jesus is God, well, you can do the math.

Ciao

- viole

stevevw

Hey Guys,

I find this a very interesting idea but I have a different point of view along similar lines. According to quantum physics, tests have shown that it is humans or more precise the human mind that may create what we see in the material world. It seems in tests a particle can exists as a wave or a particle but it isn't until an observer looks at the particle/wave possibility that it will become a particle. So this implies that there may be another dimension of possibilities that is non material where other forms can exist.

All life will have a different point of view and see the material world differently such as different animals see things differently. Birds are suppose to navigate by also seeing things on a different level that is associated with the quantum world. So what we see may just be a product of our minds and not really represent everything that is a possible realm of existence.

In the book of John 1 verse 1 to 3 he mentions the word,
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

Later in the same book verse 14 John mentions that the word became flesh, (14) The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

So in the beginning it seems there was the word, not a material thing but some other representation that is something that may be hard for us to describe and understand. The material world was made from the word so it seems that matter has come from some sort of non matter. This is where God may have spoken existence into reality. The word became flesh in Jesus who also became material so we could get some understanding of God. I believe we will experience the same thing and our bodies and this material world are just a facade fade away and we will enter into the realm of the word. I believe we can experience that realm now by looking beyond the material world to the word of God. As the bible says heaven is within us and we can store up our treasures in heaven.

Last edited:

bnabernard

Waves, spoken into existence-sound waves, we see waves and hear waves they in turn are sent in a wave pater to our processor-brain where they are interpreted.
Spirit- an intangible existence that can only be recognised when it takes form as a wave.
Nothing, an intangible existence that the material world (s) appears out of, materializes,and de-materializes into.
For the material world to exist there needs to be reason.

Nothing from which the human known existence percieves itself is often refered to as heaven, others nirvarna, the great lake, and other such, a pool of existence waiting for life.

However, nothing or heaven in reverse being the source rather than the achievement is what we have,

For science there is the coming about of matter and the periodic table here we have the gods of science, an alphabet, and just like the alphabet that I'm using now their are many combinations of words, angel gods some words more important than others but all contributing to the end product.

The book of genesis refers to man being clothed in animal skin, it does not say what animal was killed skinned cured cut and sown or what utensils where used?
Apocrypha speaks a man being clothed in animal flesh indicating that man has an existence other than that of being human in the nature of the mammal, and that he previously existed in the light.
Man and nature are reliant on waves to understand their environment and restrictions are present, we see only certain waves and hear only certain waves, these constitute a safeguard on the processor, animals see and percieve according to their need which to the most part we understand through conjecture through certain tests, blind as a bat and fish with no eyes spring to mind.

however me dinners been called so I am off to test me taste senses.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm a little confused. With respect to the one-god of the classical monotheist religions (as I presume that is the god you are talking about) the only human iconography I'm aware of comes from the Christian tradition through Jesus, who is quite deliberately a man-god figure. With that exception of Jesus, I haven't gotten the impression that classical monotheists regard their god to have a human form. I guess I'm not sure what they are "falling short" on.

I don't see what it would add, given the above. The classical monotheists already understand their god to be transcendent and non-anthropomorphic (again, with Jesus being the notable exception). It's also been my impression that classical monotheist traditions are already highly dualistic and believe in this thing called a "soul" that is separate from or transcends "body." So... wouldn't all this just reinforce their pre-existing narratives?

gnostic

The Lost One

I am less interested in the image of god and humans than that of god exhibiting all the human behaviour and traits, therefore have human flaws and human fragility.

If God is indeed a "spirit", why would he have human emotion, like:
jealousy:
Exodus 20:5 said:
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
If there are no other gods but him, why would he feel "jealousy"?
wrath:
There are too many to list, but using the same verse (Exodus 20:5) as an example, it would seem god would turn on an individual or a nation, when they stop worshipping him. Also he would whole grudge against future generations, for the sin of ancestor...and that leads to point 3, below - pettiness.
pettiness:
What sort of god would demand to be "worshipped"? Is it not petty making worshipping no other deities but him? (again, using Exodus 20:5).
God showed himself to be petty and egotistic in the Book of Job, making wagers and late bragging about his awesome powers.​