• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Traditional TV Enters Its Final Death Spiral

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I cut the chord about two years ago, and haven't missed it. However, the proliferation of streaming services means we're likely to be in the same situation pretty soon, i.e. paying a bunch of money to access the various content you do want, while 90% of what comes with it is stuff you'll never watch and have no interest in.

I put my foot down at 2 streaming services, that's it.
Sooner or later we'll see consolidation but I'm of a like mind. I have Amazon because I'm a Prime member so that's #1.

I've pretty well but not 100% decided on CBS for ST:picard rather than the Orville - too bad but I don't see going over two. I might binge one and then binge the other but that's for later on in the year.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Sooner or later we'll see consolidation but I'm of a like mind. I have Amazon because I'm a Prime member so that's #1.

I've pretty well but not 100% decided on CBS for ST:picard rather than the Orville - too bad but I don't see going over two. I might binge one and then binge the other but that's for later on in the year.
I realized the other day, the way I occasionally get a month of a streaming service, it's sort of like video rental, but 30 days of stuff instead of the weekend, and generally cheaper if we go by Blockbuster prices.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

The Orville...that abortion is still on?
Checking....
Ugh...renewed for 2020.
It's not funny.
It's not interesting.
Just what is it?

I'm not alone here....
5 Science Fiction Comedies That Prove How Bad The Orville Is

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I used to get four channels, three came in clear and one fuzzy most of the time, now I have 150 plus channels and there is still very little I think is worth watching.
And on top of it remember when cable first came out? They told every sucker there would be no commercials.

Milton Platt

This has also impacted me personally. Right now, "cord cutting" services are not as easy to use as our multi-room Comcast setup, but if it was, we'd be gone in a flash from ordinary Tv.

Traditional TV Enters Its Final Death Spiral

For the better part of the decade, even Wall Street stock jocks have acknowledged that the current pay TV ecosystem simply isn't sustainable. Broadcasters continue to demand higher and higher rates for the same programming, driving up costs for consumers. Those consumers are then fleeing to the exits in record numbers; either migrating to new streaming video alternatives or over the air antennas. Many executives' response to the problem? Mindlessly double down on most of the behaviors that brought them here, namely, mindless consolidation and price hikes.

Most cable and broadcast executives seem to believe they can just nurse this dying cash cow until retirement, at which point it's somebody else's problem. But the problem itself remains, and analysts like Doug Dawson quite correctly note that 2020 may be the year the entire fracas finally starts to unravel and the real "death spiral" truly begins:

I have not had cable for many years. Even my wife, who is tech challenged has no problem with the Roku. We pay for the services we want and use, and not for 200 mostly useless channels we would never watch. It is all wifi, so we can move any tv to any place and not worry about cables. Many of the channels on the Roku are free (with commercials, of course)

Stanyon

WWMRD?
And on top of it remember when cable first came out? They told every sucker there would be no commercials.

I got HBO for free for about 10 years until I moved. Cable guy that did the initial installment asked me if I had ordered HBO and I told him no because I couldn't afford it. After a few days I was turning the dial and started watching the movie COMA and realized after a while that there were no ads, I don't think it was a mistake. From what I understand rightly or wrongly it was basically a matter of flipping a switch in the cable box on the pole, someone here may be able to clear that up.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
I doubt it.
But I've never seen it.

I must point out again that quality is there if one seeks it out.
But if one wallows in the worst, then one will see the worst.
When I say things have improved, I'm not saying that
every show is improved or even watch-worthy. There's
always been crap. There will always be crap.
I agree with you. There is much greater availability of new higher quality as well as older and classic high quality programming. I just consider most of the so called reality shows to be LCD garbage. Except the Osbournes. Watching Ozzy was a real hoot.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I consider it a bane on society.

The best reality TV in my opinion were always documentaries.

Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

Nova

Wild wild world of animals
While Jim wrestles the giant anaconda, I will be safely saying those are definitely high on my list too.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Is "reality TV" real? That is the question you should have asked and the answer would answer your question.
It is as scripted and contrived as any show as far as I can tell. I might watch a survivor if the contestants had to cross an island full of lions while covered in gravy. That might actually be interesting.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It is as scripted and contrived as any show as far as I can tell. I might watch a survivor if the contestants had to cross an island full of lions while covered in gravy. That might actually be interesting.

My roommates daughter was once in my house watching a "reality TV show". She did not take it kindly when I made a similar comment about it. Followers tend to be true believers. It makes me think that perhaps we are getting dumber every year.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
No, it's complete rubbish at best, and socially destructive at worst.

Much like big screen movies have plenty of predictable cheese still.

But there's a lot more choice, and plenty of quality options around.
I agree. I really like Britsh, Australian and New Zealand TV shows and for lot of reasons besides quality of the shows. I enjoy a peak into those cultures and countries that is available by this means. I keep in mind that there may be some limitations, but it is still, fun, interesting and even educational.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
My roommates daughter was once in my house watching a "reality TV show". She did not take it kindly when I made a similar comment about it. Followers tend to be true believers. It makes me think that perhaps we are getting dumber every year.
I wonder about that too. I don't mind a little mindless fare, but not a steady diet of it. I have noticed that some people really get into some of those shows, but I cannot find anything appealing.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I wonder about that too. I don't mind a little mindless fare, but not a steady diet of it. I have noticed that some people really get into some of those shows, but I cannot find anything appealing.
That's because you are a decent, intelligent human being who is properly functioning.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You are very kind to say so. I have my moments. I hope more often than not.
Apparently they are often enough. "Reality TV" is a strong argument that newer TV isn't necessarily that good and has some serious drawbacks. And that is people who are basically actors on stage are passed off in a way that makes them appear everything is legit. They are put into cages, basically, under unusual circumstances, often with lots of alcohol, and we're told it's "real life." And it often glorifies the most abhorrent behaviors. Teen pregnancies is a pretty bad one to pick for a show, Jack*** has unfortunately inspired many imitators, and I'm starting to see shows that basically normalize and glorify obesity. I soon expect to see drug addicts getting their 15 minutes of fame (for their drug abuse rather than despite their drug abuse), rather than 15 minutes of shame with that garbage like that intervention show (something that, along with "TV doctors and therapy sessions," should be heavily scrutinized and research to see if they are doing any harm). If anything, TV teaches us we are basically of "monkey see, monkey do" chimps who are actually crazy enough to imitate even the stupidest of things that others of us do.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Apparently they are often enough. "Reality TV" is a strong argument that newer TV isn't necessarily that good and has some serious drawbacks. And that is people who are basically actors on stage are passed off in a way that makes them appear everything is legit. They are put into cages, basically, under unusual circumstances, often with lots of alcohol, and we're told it's "real life." And it often glorifies the most abhorrent behaviors. Teen pregnancies is a pretty bad one to pick for a show, Jack*** has unfortunately inspired many imitators, and I'm starting to see shows that basically normalize and glorify obesity. I soon expect to see drug addicts getting their 15 minutes of fame (for their drug abuse rather than despite their drug abuse), rather than 15 minutes of shame with that garbage like that intervention show (something that, along with "TV doctors and therapy sessions," should be heavily scrutinized and research to see if they are doing any harm). If anything, TV teaches us we are basically of "monkey see, monkey do" chimps who are actually crazy enough to imitate even the stupidest of things that others of us do.
This pretty much mirrors my own views on that type of programming. Glad to see from all the responses that I am not alone. Though the downside to this is that we are not alone, because reality TV is a real thing. If you catch my meaning.

I recall a time when a celebrity actually had to have done something interesting to achieve the status. Now they just give out the shows and manufacture the celebrity out of nothing. I could not care less about the Kardashians, but you cannot escape the saturation. I've never even seen their program, but they end up all over the media like they regularly do something fantastic or important to the world.

PureX

Veteran Member
I find the quality of shows on PBS as high. But otherwise, yes, the supposedly fact-based networks are anything but fact-based with few exceptions. And those exceptions are typically mediocre.

At lunch with friends, talk of TV is typically about streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime.
These days I'm finding a lot of good content available on HULU, though occasionally I have to pay extra for SHOWTIME (or some similar network) for features.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree. I really like Britsh, Australian and New Zealand TV shows and for lot of reasons besides quality of the shows. I enjoy a peak into those cultures and countries that is available by this means. I keep in mind that there may be some limitations, but it is still, fun, interesting and even educational.

I'm almost scared to ask which Australian tv shows you watch...lol