• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Towns and paranormal activity

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
My town has a fairly rich history of ghostly activity. And I know some of the history due to being in my 30's and having lived here most of my life. And I have pictures from one weird thing involving my town which I can show people - now if I show people the pictures, and they reverse image search (or just search in general), they'll know the town where I live. As part of their looking into matters.

My question before I get into the subject is - do you think it's safe to "out" the town where I live? I mean, I'm not exactly telling people my address. But still, people will figure out my town, and while I don't have any problems with it, they'll even be able to travel here and try to look at one particular phenomena for themselves (should they want to), since there's something kind of odd that's pretty much open to the public in my town.

So I've kind of been debating whether to share some history about my town or not, but I've thought about it for some weeks, and I haven't decided one way or the other just yet.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My town has a fairly rich history of ghostly activity. And I know some of the history due to being in my 30's and having lived here most of my life. And I have pictures from one weird thing involving my town which I can show people - now if I show people the pictures, and they reverse image search (or just search in general), they'll know the town where I live. As part of their looking into matters.

My question before I get into the subject is - do you think it's safe to "out" the town where I live? I mean, I'm not exactly telling people my address. But still, people will figure out my town, and while I don't have any problems with it, they'll even be able to travel here and try to look at one particular phenomena for themselves (should they want to), since there's something kind of odd that's pretty much open to the public in my town.

So I've kind of been debating whether to share some history about my town or not, but I've thought about it for some weeks, and I haven't decided one way or the other just yet.

Depends on how big the town is. I don't have too much reservation sharing my city name because its big enough its not likely I'd be found here.

Though, if you're worried about it, you could make an alias name for your town, so you could still share the history without naming your location.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Depends on how big the town is. I don't have too much reservation sharing my city name because its big enough its not likely I'd be found here.

Though, if you're worried about it, you could make an alias name for your town, so you could still share the history without naming your location.
Same here. I live in a city of 100,000. I have said its name many times here. But if one lived in a town of 100 that would be a very different matter.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

I think your town is big enough...and already has a reputation as being 'haunted' that's fairly widespread...it has been featured on some of the ghost hunter type shows...so it really shouldn't come as a big surprise to anyone living there...:eek::D

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

Same here. I live in a city of 100,000. I have said its name many times here. But if one lived in a town of 100 that would be a very different matter.

Alright, let's do this, since I have a town with a population of almost 40,000.

Okay, it could take me a day or two to write things up about this subject. But, I live in Quincy Illinois. One of the first subjects I'll cover is our "Jesus tree", and I'll link directly to the articles this time. Then I'll move onto the history.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The Jesus tree:

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/435

Exploring Illinois by Rich Moreno: The Lord Speaks in Mysterious Ways: Quincy's 'Jesus Tree'

When I was a kid, I started hearing about a tree that looked like Jesus, and I paid a visit to it with some others. At the time, the tree looked more like Jesus than it did later, and people described it as being Jesus holding a lamb, and with a crown of thorns on his head.

Some visitors reported headaches, and that it felt like they were in a high-energy or high-vibration area, after visiting the tree.

I did not experience this when I paid my visit, but I still considered the entire thing interesting. I found that if I was "looking for" the lamb he was holding, I saw it, and if I was "looking for" the crown of thorns, I even saw that.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Hi I live in Normanton Australia, about 1500 people. Ask anyone, they will show you where I live.

Come round for a chat. :D;)

Regards Tony

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I would like to correct myself on something: According to an article I posted, the tree was chopped down in 2014. That's sad. Somehow, I hadn't heard that, and I hadn't really checked after 2014 due to all the stuff keeping me busy.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Jesus tree:

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/435

Exploring Illinois by Rich Moreno: The Lord Speaks in Mysterious Ways: Quincy's 'Jesus Tree'

When I was a kid, I started hearing about a tree that looked like Jesus, and I paid a visit to it with some others. At the time, the tree looked more like Jesus than it did later, and people described it as being Jesus holding a lamb, and with a crown of thorns on his head.

Some visitors reported headaches, and that it felt like they were in a high-energy or high-vibration area, after visiting the tree.

I did not experience this when I paid my visit, but I still considered the entire thing interesting. I found that if I was "looking for" the lamb he was holding, I saw it, and if I was "looking for" the crown of thorns, I even saw that.

I would ask where is an original portrait or picture of Jesus to compare it with? Otherwise it is a tree, that to some appears to have a "person holding a lamb, and with a crown of thorns on their head", which their imagination has called Jesus.

Regards Tony

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
My initial thought after reading your OP was, "Road trip!"

So, what interesting haunted places in Quincy, Illinois, will I be adding to my bucket list to investigate someday?

I'll try to tell you all about it in this thread, but could take a couple of days. I have a lot to break down information-wise, and it might be a slightly slow process.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
So if anyone does ever make a roadtrip to Quincy, they should visit South Park:

381af2882f44a09130bb32a285121483.jpg

I have heard no ghost stories about the park. However, I have heard that "love is in the air" in that park (whether or not it's true). So it might be a good place to visit with like a significant other, just to see the scenery. And possibly take a walk.

Viker

Häxan

It's really up to you. I've blabbed all over the RF about my town. In fact, I have it on my user thingie. If you live in a small town, anonymity is something to consider.

Louisville is a spooky place, BTW. Lots of ghostly haunts and stories.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Although I can't verify every single thing spoken of in this article:

HauntedIllinois.com - Troy Taylor's Review of haunted Quincy Illinois

I do consider myself to have encountered this "devil man" and saw him in the mirror one day (it wasn't my reflection). This was at a particularly turbulent time in my life, and I could have hallucinated, or not gotten enough sleep. But it's interesting that I agree with something from someone else's paranormal article, is all I'm saying.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
So if anyone does ever make a roadtrip to Quincy, they should visit South Park:

View attachment 69743

I have heard no ghost stories about the park. However, I have heard that "love is in the air" in that park (whether or not it's true). So it might be a good place to visit with like a significant other, just to see the scenery. And possibly take a walk.

Certainly looks pretty enough!

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Although I can't verify every single thing spoken of in this article:

HauntedIllinois.com - Troy Taylor's Review of haunted Quincy Illinois

I do consider myself to have encountered this "devil man" and saw him in the mirror one day (it wasn't my reflection). This was at a particularly turbulent time in my life, and I could have hallucinated, or not gotten enough sleep. But it's interesting that I agree with something from someone else's paranormal article, is all I'm saying.

I'm a horrible scribbler on this device, but I made a picture of what this "devil man" I thought I saw looked like:

presentation@1x~2.png

He was red, muscular, had his arms crossed. Maybe 6 feet tall. Yellow horns. Tiny beard.

HonestJoe

The Jesus tree: ...
I thought you were going to post out something paranormal. A tree that some people think looks like a humanoid figure (though I honestly don't see it myself) and randomly decided that it must be Jesus for some reason doesn't strike me as anything special. If anything, this supports mundane explanations like pareidolia and confirmation bias over anything else.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
When I was a teenager, there was a website for people from Quincy Illinois that a local started for other local residents to post their ghost stories, and the website was also featured on the Coast to Coast AM website. Before the website was later taken down, its stories were about 100-200 (some of them simple, though).