• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tortoise 'adopts' baby hippo...

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I hope some of you are as moved by 'cute animal stories' as I am, because I really enjoyed this article I found over at Yahoo news.

mdf814516.jpg

(From Reuters) "[size=-1] Owen, a one year-old baby Hippotamus gets close to his adopted 'mother', a giant male Aldabran tortoise at Kenya's Haller Park, January 6, 2004. The 120-year old giant tortoise living in the Kenyan sanctuary has become inseparable from the baby hippo rescued by game wardens, sanctuary officials said on Thursday. (Peter Greste/Reuters)"

While the full article goes into more detail about why this might have happened (similar coloring) I'm saddened that they're going to be moving Owen to be with a lonely female hippo. Maybe they'll let the tortoise (named [/size][size=-1]Mzee, [/size][size=-1]Swahili[/size][size=-1] for 'old man') be in an adjoining enclosure? [/size]

croak

Trickster
Awwww. Has anyone heard of Koko, the gorilla that learned sign language? He had a kitten. He used to stroke it and take care of it. But..........:cry: the cat got killed by a car. Stupid driver.

croak

Trickster
Who cares about colouring? Birds and dogs get along. Birds and rabbits. Cats and dogs. Geese and dogs. The list is endless........

:( Don't those people realize they're "friends?"

RearingArabian said:
Who cares about colouring? Birds and dogs get along. Birds and rabbits. Cats and dogs. Geese and dogs. The list is endless........

:( Don't those people realize they're "friends?"
I'm afraid i must disagree...none of my animals have ever got on with each other *hears noise of bird screaching at dog on the sofa near it*.

But this story is cute :D

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hmm... I'll do some research on if we could write anyone with any influence. If they have to seperate them, though, due to funding for not having enclosures close enough together, or the male tortoise being incompatible with the female hippo, I'd understand. But it'd still be sad for them to be apart.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Its nice to know that they have found friendship with one another.
another odd couple.
A lioness in africa adopted three successive baby antilope. She eaven allowed its mother to nurse it for a short time each day. The first was taken by park officals and placed in a zoo. The second was killed by a lion, and apparently she was quite upset about it. She spent the day wandering around and roaring in agitation. I'm not sure what happined to the third but she wouldn't allow humans near her or the baby.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/1905363.stm

wa:do

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The tortoise and hippo are made to live entirely different lifestyles. Hippos need to spend most of their time in the water, and the tortoise, while I'm sure it could swim in a pinch, is a land animal.

I don't see why each can't live comfortably in adjoining aquatic/desert environments, though. The baby hippo could be introduced to an actual hippo role model and still visit his friend the tortoise.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
The hippocrisy is astounding! I am shell shocked that they would do this on tortoise.

Turte-loo!

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
painted wolf said:
Its nice to know that they have found friendship with one another.
another odd couple.
A lioness in africa adopted three successive baby antilope. She eaven allowed its mother to nurse it for a short time each day. The first was taken by park officals and placed in a zoo. The second was killed by a lion, and apparently she was quite upset about it. She spent the day wandering around and roaring in agitation. I'm not sure what happined to the third but she wouldn't allow humans near her or the baby.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/1905363.stm

wa:do
That was beautiful! Thanks for posting it, Painted Wolf!

I couldn't find anyone to write to, but I'm sure that they'll do whatever is best for the the two. And NetDoc, you're should get yourself to a punnery!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
NetDoc said:
The hippocrisy is astounding! I am shell shocked that they would do this on tortoise.

Turte-loo!
I laughed so hard at your post, NetDoc, that I shook the creases from my slacks. So, I've instructed my lawyer to send you the dry cleaning bill.