• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torn between two options

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Why not carve your own path and find others with similar beliefs? Or find an agreeable house of worship to you. Why give up you for the group? I say have both.

I've never understood the whole congregation vs personal thing. But I suppose that's just my background. Agreement in beliefs/philosophy is not really at the forefront of our minds when in a prayer group thingy.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
On that front, i'm not as sure about. A nice group of people to talk to, do some practices with, and just bond with would be nice. Doctrine is fine as long as it's not too overbearing, as i'm a bit more of a free spirited type
I wonder if you might benefit from my research at this point?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
So for some background, I wasn't raised on religion at all. I grew up as an atheist, rejecting the thought of any higher being. This changed when i started going to church. Now albeit, younger me did it for selfish reasons, as I wanted to see a friend of mine more. But the experience of being there, being loved by so many and feeling the power of the faith in that church, it made me rethink. I became more of an agnostic at that point

That's where I am today, for the most part. I've obviously dabbled in christianity, but beyond that i've seriously looked into wicca and islam and have considered buddhism and Asatru. But what i've been finding is that nothing seems to fit for me.

My main two options i see are this: cherry pick my beliefs and try to fit into an organized religion, or define my own faith and set myself forward that way. Cherry picking seems like i'm not fully committing to the religion, but being a part of a greater cause with others would be amazing. On the other hand, defining my own faith would feel more genuine, but it would also be isolating in a way.

What do you guys think? How should I begin to approach my issues with faith?

Just call yourself Spiritual, and forget organized religions' doctrines.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
So for some background, I wasn't raised on religion at all. I grew up as an atheist, rejecting the thought of any higher being. This changed when i started going to church. Now albeit, younger me did it for selfish reasons, as I wanted to see a friend of mine more. But the experience of being there, being loved by so many and feeling the power of the faith in that church, it made me rethink. I became more of an agnostic at that point

That's where I am today, for the most part. I've obviously dabbled in christianity, but beyond that i've seriously looked into wicca and islam and have considered buddhism and Asatru. But what i've been finding is that nothing seems to fit for me.

My main two options i see are this: cherry pick my beliefs and try to fit into an organized religion, or define my own faith and set myself forward that way. Cherry picking seems like i'm not fully committing to the religion, but being a part of a greater cause with others would be amazing. On the other hand, defining my own faith would feel more genuine, but it would also be isolating in a way.

I think you have identified the problem well. If you come up with your own belief system as it currently stands in may be vey difficult to find a cohesive group of like minded people in your community. If you are part of Faith group, like a church, that goes a long way to meeting your social needs but you don't share some of their core beliefs and values.

Why not keep doing what has worked for you and continue spend time with peoples from different faith communities? Extent your comfort zone to see what's out there in your community. Some people learn best by talking to people and developing connections with communities.

Take your time and don't rush into anything. Deciding on a faith community for some people is one of the most important decision they make in life. Then again, its better to be in no faith community than one that isn't right for you:)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Lol it's alright :D Yeah that makes sense! I suppose I would only really figure that out through experience, yes?

Yes. I went through a phase where I got enough experience of this and that to decide what fit for me and what did not fit.

Ponder This

Know Thyself.

Figure out what you are looking for. If it is friendship, then be a friend. if it is love, then be loving.
Faith is knowing that the ocean takes care of each wave until it reaches the shore and not a strong you tie to your foot that doesn't let you go anywhere or do anything.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
And that is precisely the issue, because while i believe in being true to myself, i also want to feel like i belong, that i fit in. It's deeply frustrating that I can't seem to choose
Maybe you would benefit from some careful contemplation of that dilemma, then?

Just as a rough suggestion, perhaps you could set out to describe it in a few sentences of writing in your own words, read that text at leisure, and work with it in some practice ritual of your choice to see if any insights arise?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
One thing I'd definitely work on is avoiding framing things using pejorative terms like "cherry picking." It's a phrase that carries with it certain assumptions about how religion is "supposed to" work that don't actually apply to all religions anyway, so I'd really recommend discarding it from your vocabulary entirely. Besides, at the end of the day everybody is a religion of one - each person's expression of religiosity is their own.

Also remember that finding community isn't just about humans. Since you mentioned a couple Pagan traditions, I felt it was important to throw that out there. In many respects, the focus of contemporary Paganisms is developing your relationships and sense of community with the gods or other-than-human entities. There's a focus put on cultivating right relationships with the world and expressing gratitude. I get most of my sense of community through that, not through human persons. The human Pagan community is, in most places, rather lacking; the earlier suggestion of Unitarian Universalism is a better one if you're looking to connect with humans specifically.

sealchan

I've got a somewhat similar path...started as atheist but now I identify as a Christian though I have my studies in many faiths historically.

If you are a reader you may want to explore the individual path as the most honest. Fortunately there have been others before you and you can benefit from them! The most obvious one I can think of is to look at the writings of Joseph Campbell. If you are not much of a reader (become one!) you might try getting a hold of the Bill Moyers interview of Joseph Campbell called The Power of Myth.

My own path might be described as a Christian with a profound sense of the mythic story tradition. I feel that I have been called upon by God to pursue a new perspective on Biblical teachings that includes understanding the authors as imperfect, yet inspired creators of the Biblical works. Understanding the sources of Biblical stories, the way that authors shaped those stories and what kind of personal or cultural bias they might have is my spiritual practice...a kind of knowledge path of yoga. I am currently immersing myself in the Mahabharata as a means to understand some of the underlying mythic content that also has gone into the composition of the Genesis story in the Bible and other mythic epics.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Lots of good advice in this thread!! I myself don't have too much to offer, but I'll humbly offer an ear if you ever need it.
Mostly just reading through this I felt some pride in seeing how many could offer the wisdom of their experiences without pushing 'their team' forwards.

(And for any that know me, yeah...I know. Not normally so warm and fuzzy. Musta forgotten to take my cynical pills this morning)

Rational Agnostic

Just stay agnostic for now until you decide what you believe. I'd advise against rushing into any religion.

RoseKnows

Your guess is as good as mine
Maybe you would benefit from some careful contemplation of that dilemma, then?

Just as a rough suggestion, perhaps you could set out to describe it in a few sentences of writing in your own words, read that text at leisure, and work with it in some practice ritual of your choice to see if any insights arise?
It's funny that you should suggest that, because that's what i've been doing recently. It's been really refreshing to explore my own beliefs, and it's tempting to go and do my own thing. But the draw of organized religions, with their built in communities and support systems, it's tempting in it's own way.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Yeah what if your higher power doesn't fit in with any religion out there. That's the way it is for me. My religion is more personal than communal. I take into consideration the good of all, not just myself, or a particular sect.

RoseKnows

Yeah what if your higher power doesn't fit in with any religion out there. That's the way it is for me. My religion is more personal than communal. I take into consideration the good of all, not just myself, or a particular sect.
You have a point there, my personal beliefs (as far as I know) don't really have any direct parallel with anything i've seen, and it's not like a personal faith isn't out of the question. My main thing is that my first experience with religion had this great sense of community, of love and support, and that that is something I value too. It's a tough line to walk, certainly, and i'm not sure if it'd be better to adapt whatever religion calls to me's beliefs to my own, become a sort of eclectic, or try to stay true to my beliefs and forge my own path.

David T

Premium Member

Oh I don't know nature defined is all one huge cult religion to me just arguing mindlessly with itself. I say step out and you might actually discover you are really just stepping in. John Muir said that, and he also said "off to the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul" it only takes one second in nature to understand, but It can take an entire life time to get there. Most never even bother they prefer their paper houses,and their plastic saints. I prefer home the forest wilderness the real deal. .

Last edited:

RoseKnows

Oh I don't know nature defined is all one huge cult religion to me just arguing mindlessly with itself. I say step out and you might actually discover you are really just stepping in. John Muir said that, and he also said "off to the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul" it only takes one second in nature to understand, but It can take an entire life time to get there. Most never even bother they prefer their paper houses,and their plastic saints. I prefer home the forest wilderness the real deal. .
Very wise words there, and as someone who spent quite a lot of time over the years out in nature, I can certainly attest to that. You certainly have a point too, maybe for a while i'll try to trudge my own path. You can have all the frubals for that, good sir!

David T

Premium Member
Very wise words there, and as someone who spent quite a lot of time over the years out in nature, I can certainly attest to that. You certainly have a point too, maybe for a while i'll try to trudge my own path. You can have all the frubals for that, good sir!
I think that's the wisest. Pay zero attention to all the noise and let nature speak directly to you. It's learning to put it In its proper place. I have a little living statement for you to take out to the wild. To understand God you must understand nature. To understand nature you must understand God. To split this is to negate this. To negate this is to not understand this.

Give that time to grow as you saunter out In what I know is sacred, and what we call nature. If it becomes sacred to you, you are now home. Go home.