• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torn between two options

RoseKnows

Your guess is as good as mine
So for some background, I wasn't raised on religion at all. I grew up as an atheist, rejecting the thought of any higher being. This changed when i started going to church. Now albeit, younger me did it for selfish reasons, as I wanted to see a friend of mine more. But the experience of being there, being loved by so many and feeling the power of the faith in that church, it made me rethink. I became more of an agnostic at that point

That's where I am today, for the most part. I've obviously dabbled in christianity, but beyond that i've seriously looked into wicca and islam and have considered buddhism and Asatru. But what i've been finding is that nothing seems to fit for me.

My main two options i see are this: cherry pick my beliefs and try to fit into an organized religion, or define my own faith and set myself forward that way. Cherry picking seems like i'm not fully committing to the religion, but being a part of a greater cause with others would be amazing. On the other hand, defining my own faith would feel more genuine, but it would also be isolating in a way.

What do you guys think? How should I begin to approach my issues with faith?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
So for some background, I wasn't raised on religion at all. I grew up as an atheist, rejecting the thought of any higher being. This changed when i started going to church. Now albeit, younger me did it for selfish reasons, as I wanted to see a friend of mine more. But the experience of being there, being loved by so many and feeling the power of the faith in that church, it made me rethink. I became more of an agnostic at that point

That's where I am today, for the most part. I've obviously dabbled in christianity, but beyond that i've seriously looked into wicca and islam and have considered buddhism and Asatru. But what i've been finding is that nothing seems to fit for me.

My main two options i see are this: cherry pick my beliefs and try to fit into an organized religion, or define my own faith and set myself forward that way. Cherry picking seems like i'm not fully committing to the religion, but being a part of a greater cause with others would be amazing. On the other hand, defining my own faith would feel more genuine, but it would also be isolating in a way.

I think your decision would depend almost entirely on what is most important to you in your spirituality. Authenticity of your belief structure or community?

RoseKnows

What are you core beliefs?
Well, I personally believe that god is unknowable to us, and that they are not actively involved in the universe. I believe that we as people are connected in the sense that we are one in the same, simply at different points in the life of our collective soul, and that the purpose of our existence is to grow and be the best person one can be, as in the end we will transcend past the universe and be born as a higher being in a state of eternal bliss and enlightenment. The way i think of the universe is like a womb: it provides us with all we need, and when we are ready, we will exit.

I think what makes someone a good person is to be kind and show patience with your fellow man, to live in moderation, to be open to new knowledge and experiences, and to be true to yourself and express yourself.

RoseKnows

I think your decision would depend almost entirely on what is most important to you in your spirituality. Authenticity of your belief structure or community?
And that is precisely the issue, because while i believe in being true to myself, i also want to feel like i belong, that i fit in. It's deeply frustrating that I can't seem to choose

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I personally believe that god is unknowable to us, and that they are not actively involved in the universe. I believe that we as people are connected in the sense that we are one in the same, simply at different points in the life of our collective soul, and that the purpose of our existence is to grow and be the best person one can be, as in the end we will transcend past the universe and be born as a higher being in a state of eternal bliss and enlightenment. The way i think of the universe is like a womb: it provides us with all we need, and when we are ready, we will exit.

I think what makes someone a good person is to be kind and show patience with your fellow man, to live in moderation, to be open to new knowledge and experiences, and to be true to yourself and express yourself.

Given your core beliefs and your desire for community in these beliefs, I would suggest doing some research into Unitarian Universalism, and if it appears to fit in with your worldview, you may wish to visit a local congregation. I know of a few that utilized this as a stepping stone in their spiritual journeys. You can always expand or modify from that point.

Last edited:

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member

Are you maybe a panentheist or a deist of sorts? Have you looked into any sort of Ancient Greek philosophies? There are many and varied; you may find one to suit. Panentheism and Virtue Ethics seem to go for you.

Araceli Cianna

For myself, trying to fit into organised religions never worked. I always seem to have beliefs and practices that come from all kinds of spiritualities and never anything concrete as is practiced today. In a very broad term I just term myself as 'Pagan' these days, not belonging to any one group. I am eclectic by nature and that is fine, no one shares my beliefs but I find myself much more freed up from not having to put a label on it and just doing me. The only reason on this forum I have identified myself as Dianic is because Diana is my Patron, but I am not Dianic in the traditional sense, and probably would not fit in a traditional Dianic coven.

Araceli Cianna

Also, an important thing is to let yourself be flexible and shift as your grow and come to understand what you really believe. Give yourself time to become.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Here's where I am at: Today I visited a 'Unity' church, and it was quite nice. They had group meditation and a Christmas Cantata. They recognized God in each other and it was pretty good and in my humble but pretty good opinion, very Bible based.

My experience is a bit different from yours, but over time I have amassed a monolith of understanding of this whole 'Seeking' thing. I think that if you wish to avoid many of the mistakes I have experienced and seen that you should not focus on beliefs. Yes you should learn things, but beliefs are very ephemeral, very changeable. You don't know what you might believe tomorrow from today; so you can't build a life on them.

RoseKnows

Given your core beliefs and your desire for community in these beliefs, I would suggest doing some research into Unitarian Universalism, and if it appears to fit in with your worldview, you may wish to visit a local congregation. I know of a few that utilized this as a stepping stone in their spiritual journeys. You can always expand or modify from that point.
Thank you, I'll definitely look into them :D

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
@RoseKnows I know this may seem a bit superficial to some but: what is your experience? There is no point choosing a religion because you agree with its ethics, precepts or dogma, but feel no connexion. For example, Zoroastrianism made a lot of sens to me; so much, in fact, that I was a Zoroastrian for the best part of a year. Yet whenever I prayed to Ahura Mazda I felt nothing. I felt like no-one was listening. It felt blank, impotent and sterile. So you also need to think about whichever you connect with. Now I'm not usually an emotional sort of person; I cry horror at the use of emotion in arguments and I vie for logic and rationality, but sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and send the heart on a quest as well as the mind. There is no point practicing an empty faith. If you are, at heart, still an atheist - just be an atheist.

RoseKnows

Here's where I am at: Today I visited a 'Unity' church, and it was quite nice. They had group meditation and a Christmas Cantata. They recognized God in each other and it was pretty good and in my humble but pretty good opinion, very Bible based.

My experience is a bit different from yours, but over time I have amassed a monolith of understanding of this whole 'Seeking' thing. I think that if you wish to avoid many of the mistakes I have experienced and seen that you should not focus on beliefs. Yes you should learn things, but beliefs are very ephemeral, very changeable. You don't know what you might believe tomorrow from today; so you can't build a life on them.
That's definitely something i'll consider, thank you

RoseKnows

@RoseKnows I know this may seem a bit superficial to some but: what is your experience? There is no point choosing a religion because you agree with its ethics, precepts or dogma, but feel no connexion. For example, Zoroastrianism made a lot of sens to me; so much, in fact, that I was a Zoroastrian for the best part of a year. Yet whenever I prayed to Ahura Mazda I felt nothing. I felt like no-one was listening. It felt blank, impotent and sterile. So you also need to think about whichever you connect with. Now I'm not usually an emotional sort of person, I cry horror at the use of emotion in arguments and I vie for logic and rationality, but sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and send the heart on a quest as well as the mind. There is no point practicing an empty faith. If you are, at heart, still an atheist - just be an atheist.
I definitely get where you're coming from, and that's been a serious issue for me with connecting to religions. However, I do feel that there is a higher power, as it's what makes sense to me.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I definitely get where you're coming from, and that's been a serious issue for me with connecting to religions. However, I do feel that there is a higher power, as it's what makes sense to me.
If you are prepared to take the plunge into more organised religion I could suggest Sikhism or Zoroastrianism. There are also many variants of Greek polytheism although I am loath to suggest this as it goes against my religious ethics. If none of these, perhaps just a basic deism and build on it over time. You can also learn about Noahidism by visiting the links in my signature.

RoseKnows

If you are prepared to take the plunge into more organised religion I could suggest Sikhism or Zoroastrianism. There are also many variants of Greek polytheism although I am loath to suggest this as it goes against my religious ethics. If none of these, perhaps just a basic deism and build on it over time. You can also learn about Noahidism by visiting the links in my signature.
Thank you for your suggestions! I'll definitely at least look into them, see if there's some connection

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

A followup question is what are you looking for in a group more specifically. Getting together, some particular practices? There are groups that are more focused on various practices and not on doctrine.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
@RoseKnows IMO a very good place to start is in evaluating who or what you believe God to be.

If he is the Creator of all things and has a purpose in our being, then perhaps it is wise to ask him for guidance and direction in the the way HE wants you to go, rather than you "shopping" for beliefs in a very large celestial supermarket and selecting only what suits yourself.

I believe that if you are a genuine seeker of God he will allow you to find him....if OTOH you only seek to please yourself, then you will wander in indecision like a good portion of earth's inhabitants already do.

Not having a grounding in any particular faith means that you have no preconception of what is spiritual truth.....sometimes that is a good thing, and sometimes it isn't. Having a platform allows you to steer yourself in one direction or the other, but without the platform, there is no obvious direction to go.....
wind14.gif

I wish you well in your quest.

RoseKnows

A followup question is what are you looking for in a group more specifically. Getting together, some particular practices? There are groups that are more focused on various practices and not on doctrine.
On that front, i'm not as sure about. A nice group of people to talk to, do some practices with, and just bond with would be nice. Doctrine is fine as long as it's not too overbearing, as i'm a bit more of a free spirited type