• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torment and Hell

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
If we accept the First Law of Thermodynamics, the stuff that we are made up of cannot be destroyed. It can be changed, moved, controlled, stored, or dissipated.

Perhaps there are more or less pleasant configurations a consciousness can find itself in, and perhaps there is force that dictates where and what form it takes (Laplace's 'demon', if you will). We are limited to our experience as squishy hairless apes and are hard pressed to understand what the experience of existence is to anything else. Who knows, maybe we're already experiencing what it's like holding the short end of the stick, if so there's only up from here!

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
If we accept the First Law of Thermodynamics, the stuff that we are made up of cannot be destroyed. It can be changed, moved, controlled, stored, or dissipated.

Perhaps there are more or less pleasant configurations a consciousness can find itself in, and perhaps there is force that dictates where and what form it takes (Laplace's 'demon', if you will). We are limited to our experience as squishy hairless apes and are hard pressed to understand what the experience of existence is to anything else. Who knows, maybe we're already experiencing what it's like holding the short end of the stick, if so there's only up from here!
This is true for most third density earthlings

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
If a being is cast into hell, how can there be any torment without an earthly body?
I wonder to which 'hell' you are referring_____________
Some religious-myth hell of burning after death ________
Or, the Bible's hell the temporary stone-cold grave for the un-conscious sleeping dead til Resurrection Day ________
Remember: Jesus was buried in hell, Not cast into hell - Acts of the Apostles 2:27
Biblical hell/ grave for the sleeping dead as Jesus taught at John 11:11-14
Jesus was well educated in the old Hebrew Scriptures that teach 'sleep' ( Not pain ) in death:
- Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5
After all, 'death' is the full-total-complete asking price tag that sin says according to Romans 6:23,7
In other words, No post-mortem penalty for sin after death. No double jeopardy to be paid for sin.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The soul separate from God will torment itself.
I find Adam had No soul rather Adam was a soul - Genesis 2:7
Made from dust Adam became a living soul after God breathed the breath of life into life-less Adam.
So, Adam went from non-life, to life, and returned back to non-life - Genesis 3:19
A person can Not return to a place he never was before. Adam returned back to dust.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
And there is exactly the problem. Christian dualists believe they are literally separated from God. That they and God are not one. That God is else where, otherwise and the two shall never meet
Those that don't choose God are definitely separated from him.

stevecanuck

There's certainly no doubt about what hell is in Islam. A literal fire is spoken of either directly or indirectly many hundreds of times. Verse 4:56 spells it out in no uncertain terms:

"Those who reject our Signs, We shall soon cast into the Fire: as often as their skins are roasted through, We shall change them for fresh skins, that they may taste the penalty."

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
There's certainly no doubt about what hell is in Islam. A literal fire is spoken of either directly or indirectly many hundreds of times. Verse 4:56 spells it out in no uncertain terms:

"Those who reject our Signs, We shall soon cast into the Fire: as often as their skins are roasted through, We shall change them for fresh skins, that they may taste the penalty."
Scanning the thread a little too quickly, I read it as:

... change them for fresh skins, that they may be tasty ... :tonguewink:

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
A person can Not return to a place he never was before.
Off-topic:
Hehe, reminded me of a personal experience a couple weeks ago. I was asked if I were 'going crazy' because I was shouting and cursing due to faulty equipment at work...
I thought myself clever with the response I gave, "It's hard to go somewhere you already are!" :smirk:

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
According to Bahá’u’lláh the soul retains its individuality and consciousness after death (Baha’i Writings)

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

When un-faithful Jews began mixing with non-Jews is one way that the literal-fire teaching crept into biblical hell.
Whereas, righteous dead Jesus was Not in fire for parts of three days but in biblical hell the grave. - Acts 2:27
Meaning the temporary stone-cold grave for the sleeping dead until Resurrection Day.
The Bible's Resurrection Day is Not a 24-hour day but the Thousand-Year Day when Jesus governs over Earth.
Jesus ' voice will awaken the sleeping dead in biblical hell/grave back to live life again with everlasting life in view.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
According to Bahá’u’lláh the soul retains its individuality and consciousness after death (Baha’i Writings)
In contrast, I find the Bible teaches the soul that sins 'dies' at Ezekiel 18:4; Ezekiel 18:20
A dead soul is Not a conscious soul a dead person - Ecclesiastes 9:5 - but are sound asleep til Resurrection Day - John 6:40

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
How can you be divided against God when you believe we are God?
You're confused. A person who believes God is pantheistic or panentheistic doesn't believe God is a thing at a distant or self divided from God. People who define God by limiting where god can and can't be are separated/divided. Christian dualists are divided against God. See themselves as separate from God. They don't believe in John 14:20