• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torah Geometry for Hanukkah night 1

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I indicate when ideas aren’t mine or are partially mine.

Does the Torah begin with a Beit or a Reish?

The case of Beit:

“Why the Torah begins with the letter beit,” by Michael J. Alter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJQAM5A/

Why the Torah Begins with the Letter Beit|Hardcover

The case of Reish, meaning the beit was put there and it was supposed to begin with the second letter the reish:

The King Follet Sermon, perhaps the last sermon Joseph Smith gave.

The King Follett Sermon

“I shall comment on the very first Hebrew word in the Bible; I will make a comment on the very first sentence of the history of creation in the Bible—Berosheit. I want to analyze the word. Baith—in, by, through, and everything else. Rosh—the head, Sheit—grammatical termination. When the inspired man wrote it, he did not put the baith there. An old Jew without any authority added the word; he thought it too bad to begin to talk about the head! It read first, “The head one of the Gods brought forth the Gods.” That is the true meaning of the words. Baurau signifies to bring forth. If you do not believe it, you do not believe the learned man of God. Learned men can teach you no more than what I have told you. Thus the head God brought forth the Gods in the grand council.”

The rest of this I did myself.

As we analyze each as the first letter, these images will help us:

first-letter.png

The first image is a beit in a pei; the second is a reish in a pei; now let’s look at this.

The beit in a pei is like a tongue in a mouth. First, the beit pushes on the teeth, then the pei has the lips move in, the sequence in pronouncing beit. Also, in simple gematria, beit is the second letter in the Hebrew alphabet and pei is seventeen. 2*17=34. Every letter is a word and beit is beit-yud-tav, whose simple gematria is 2-10-22. 2+10+22=34. So the picture, the prime factorization, and the spelling of the letter are alike.

Now with the reish.

The tongue is sticking up and the reish touches the top of the mouth like when you pronounce it. Here, the pei is simply a mouth but the indentation might indicate the mouth is open, distinguishing between ‘M’ and ‘R’. Reish is resih-yud-shin or 20+10+21=51, and 51=3*17, where again 3 is reish and 17 is pei.

See you on the second night!

rosends

I just want to point out that in your pictures of upside down and backward G's you have a bet and a gimel, no reish. Also, the gematria of tav is not 22, it is 400.

In terms of pronunciation, the bet is like a B and the pei, like a P -- neither pushes on teeth. The reish is an R sound, nothing touching the top of the mouth.

The mispronunciation of the initial word of the torah, and the lack of understanding of the grammar of the sentence which would invalidate the claims can wait for another time.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I just want to point out that in your pictures of upside down and backward G's you have a bet and a gimel, no reish. Also, the gematria of tav is not 22, it is 400.

In terms of pronunciation, the bet is like a B and the pei, like a P -- neither pushes on teeth. The reish is an R sound, nothing touching the top of the mouth.

The mispronunciation of the initial word of the torah, and the lack of understanding of the grammar of the sentence which would invalidate the claims can wait for another time.

Other than that, I found the OP pretty inane. I sure hope we don't get seven more nights of this.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Berosheit
Until last night, it never occurred to me that Beresheet could be pronounced Berosheet. But last night we had a class and the rabbi brought it up as an example for something. I'm both surprised and not at all surprised to see that some non-Hebrew speaking people use/d the wrong pronunciation.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

That is true that I used a gimmel instead of a reish on the inside of the second picture, but 3*17 does equal 51. By "simple gematria," I meant the position in the aleph beit.

The tongue goes up near the teeth and then the lips move in for the beit. As far as I can tell, with the reish it comes up near to the top of the mouth.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Until last night, it never occurred to me that Beresheet could be pronounced Berosheet. But last night we had a class and the rabbi brought it up as an example for something. I'm both surprised and not at all surprised to see that some non-Hebrew speaking people use/d the wrong pronunciation.
That's what Joseph Smith said.

Some of my patterns work only with Beit and some work with both beit and reish. Joseph Smith had a Hebrew tutor at one point in his life.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Also, the gematria of tav is not 22, it is 400.
You're thinking Base-10. Think base-199. Why Base-199?

It all goes back to Will Katz who, back in the very early 1900's founded Katz's Delicatessen on East Houston Street in New York with his brother Benny. During Chanukah, one could go to Katz's and grab some of the best latkes on the continent (next to bubbes, of course).

And, of course, Katz in Hebrew is קטץ or, wait for it, 199 in Chanukah Geometry!!!!!!!! (note: one ! for each candle)

And if you think chanukah geometry is tasty, just wait until I explain tu b'shevat trig.

Last edited:

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
You're thinking Base-10. Think base-199. Why Base-199?

It all goes back to Will Katz who, back in the very early 1900's foundfed Katz's Delicatessen on East Houston Street in New York with his brother Benny. During Chanukah, one could go to Katz's and grab some of the best latkes on the continent (next to bubbes, of course).

And, of course, Katz in Hebrew is קטץ or, wait for it, 199 in Chanukah Geometry!!!!!!!! (note: one ! for each candle)

And if you think chanukah geometry is tasty, just wait until I explain tu b'shevat trig.
You're joshing me aren't you?

Also, the gematria of tav is not 22, it is 400.

I disagree. The gematria of Tav according to its placement in the priestly order of the alephbet is 20. In standard gematria it is 400, but the scribes of the Torah never used standard gematria. The gematria of the Torah counts shin as 3 (not 300) and tav as 4 (not 400).

I wrote about the gematria of Hanukkah on the first night in my blog where I explain the Hanukkah acronym:

“Eight candles, and the halakha is like the House of Hillel”

You guys might enjoy it.

The Gematria of Hanukkah

rosends

I disagree. The gematria of Tav according to its placement in the priestly order of the alephbet is 20. In standard gematria it is 400, but the scribes of the Torah never used standard gematria. The gematria of the Torah counts shin as 3 (not 300) and tav as 4 (not 400).

I wrote about the gematria of Hanukkah on the first night in my blog where I explain the Hanukkah acronym:

“Eight candles, and the halakha is like the House of Hillel”

You guys might enjoy it.

The Gematria of Hanukkah
So you are using מספּר סדורי? That would make tav 22, not 20.
Oh, I see, you are creating something from a medieval book and claiming it to be something ancient and mystical.
But if that's the system you prefer, why? It is one of many different systems; why choose it over any other?

I'm not sure why you assume that order of the alphabet is a "priestly" order, or why the "scribes" of the Torah used the מספּר סדורי but since the topic here is Channukah and is referencing Jewish ideas, it seems silly to rely on Occult understandings and the thinking of Crowley. If you are going to take from a medieval "sepher" that might have originated from Jews, then does that mean that you accept the statements of Jews as authoritative in this area?

Side note, can you give me a page number for the quote you have about 20 gates?
I'd like to read it here.

Last edited: