• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torah and Christian Bible

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
With a respectful discourse Jews, and Christians, let me ask Jews first, between the first five books of the Bible to the gospels, what was the reason those books outside the NT that didn't match the teachings and continuation of the Torah?

Christians (and Jews too), the bible OT is about a lot of history more so than words of wisdom. The only wisdom I can find in the OT is Romans. Hebrews, Psalms, and Proverbs (at least those I've read) and the NT mostly Gospels, Galatians Eccs., Acts, and a few others.

In regards to the finding wisdom and spiritual insight, what does the history of these different people, Israelites, Babylonians, etc offer you? Are there physical teachings that says what one must do rather than things like love thy neighbor and have faith?

What do you guys learn from the OT in full?

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Christians (and Jews too), the bible OT is about a lot of history more so than words of wisdom. The only wisdom I can find in the OT is Romans. Hebrews, Psalms, and Proverbs (at least those I've read) and the NT mostly Gospels, Galatians Eccs., Acts, and a few others.

Romans and Hebrews is in the Christian Testament, not the 'OT'

Ecclesiastes is in the 'OT'.

The Wisdom Literature of the Tanach are the books: Proverbs, Job, Ecclesiastes.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
With a respectful discourse Jews, and Christians, let me ask Jews first, between the first five books of the Bible to the gospels, what was the reason those books outside the NT that didn't match the teachings and continuation of the Torah?
Human sacrifice

Original Sin

Trinity

The Devil as an evil entity opposed to G-d

The need for salvation through vicarious atonement (all this is needed is repentance)

G-d is not a man

And that Jesus did not fulfil the prophecies the Messiah is supposed to.

If this is what you're asking, as I'm not sure I understand.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה

In regards to the finding wisdom and spiritual insight, what does the history of these different people, Israelites, Babylonians, etc offer you? Are there physical teachings that says what one must do rather than things like love thy neighbor and have faith?

What do you guys learn from the OT in full?

The first thing you need to understand is that the Hebrew bible,what we refer to as the Tanakh, comprises what you refer to as the Old Testament (OT). Romans and Hebrews are not part of the Tanakh. They are part of Christian scriptures, what you refer to as the New Testament (NT). On the other hand, Ecclesiastes is not part of Christian scripture. It is one of the writings included in the Tanakh.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה

I missed you reply, so crafted my own. I didn't mean to step on your toes.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Why does the Torah stop at the first five books of the Bible and not the rest of the OT?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Human sacrifice

Original Sin

Trinity

The Devil as an evil entity opposed to G-d

The need for salvation through vicarious atonement (all this is needed is repentance)

G-d is not a man

And that Jesus did not fulfil the prophecies the Messiah is supposed to.

If this is what you're asking, as I'm not sure I understand.

That's the NT. Between the fifth book the Torah to the NT, I don't remember anything about human sacrifice. Jesus isn't mentioned before the NT and I don't see reference to the NT in the OT.

Is there a reason why the Torah only goes to the first five books and not the rest until the NT?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
That's the NT. Between the fifth book the Torah to the NT, I don't remember anything about human sacrifice. Jesus isn't mentioned before the NT and I don't see reference to the NT in the OT.

Is there a reason why the Torah only goes to the first five books and not the rest until the NT?
So you're asking what are the differences between Torah (the Five Books of Moses) and the rest of the 'OT'? There are none.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The first thing you need to understand is that the Hebrew bible,what we refer to as the Tanakh, comprises what you refer to as the Old Testament (OT). Romans and Hebrews are not part of the Tanakh. They are part of Christian scriptures, what you refer to as the New Testament (NT). On the other hand, Ecclesiastes is not part of Christian scripture. It is one of the writings included in the Tanakh.

I'm sorry, I'm honestly confused. (Ignorant). Ecclesiastes is in the NT so I'd assume it is Christian scriptures as with St. Peter, Acts, and Revelations.

Roman and Hebrews are in the OT but not in the Torah.

I don't see reference in Romans and Hebrew to Jesus and prophecies as such. Is there a reason the Torah stopped at the first five books and not included for example Joshua, Ruth, and Samuel?

A historical reason?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
No. I'm asking why did the Torah stopped at the first five books and did not continue to Joshua, Samuel, Kings, and Job?
Because it contains the Books of the Law, the rest of the books are not law.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Because t contains the Books of the Law, the rest of the books are not law.

Ooh. Yes, the rest of the books read as historical rather than laws. I'd assume you can find the laws in there but is there reference to Israelite Jews (if I got that correct) as they are in the first five books?

DavidFirth

Some Christians believe that the OT is valid. I am one of the Christians who do.

Some Christians believe the OT is not currently accurate; it has been changed over the centuries. I do not think God would allow his word to become permanently corrupted.

Flankerl

but is there reference to Israelite Jews (if I got that correct) as they are in the first five books?

Literally already in the first verse...

Joshua 1:1-2
1 And it was after the death of Moses the servant of the Lord, that the Lord said to Joshua the son of Nun, Moses' minister, saying:
2 Moses my servant has died; and now arise cross this Jordan, you and all this nation, to the land which I give the children of Israel.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Some Christians believe the OT is not currently accurate; it has been changed over the centuries.

I have literally never come across this view. Christians need the 'OT' to 'prove' their Messiah.

DavidFirth

I have literally never come across this view. Christians need the 'OT' to 'prove' their Messiah.

Nevertheless, some Christians do not believe the OT to be 100% accurate.

You will find this among Christians who do not believe in the Genesis Creation account, mostly, macro-evolutionists.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You will find this among Christians who do not believe in the Genesis Creation account, mostly, macro-evolutionists.
Oh that...

You do realise that not all Jews are creationists, yes? Most, if not all, of the Christians I've spoken with in the UK accept evolution as true. Creationists are laughed right out of the room here.

DavidFirth

Oh that...

You do realise that not all Jews are creationists, yes? Most, if not all, of the Christians I've spoken with in the UK accept evolution as true. Creationists are laughed right out of the room here.

Yes, I understand that very well. Why do you think so many are turning from God in the UK? They have been deceived into thinking that because Genesis is somehow wrong they should just throw the whole Bible into the trash. Satan is hard at work, as always.