• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob the Unbeliever

Hello there. I was directed here, by a fellow Topix . com poster. That venue has restricted world access to it's content, and only North American posters can see their threads. Kinda ruined the dialog for me and all of my non Western fellow posters. If you are from there? Feel free to contact me here-- I went by Bob of Quantum-Faith, which represents a lovely Joke about Agnosticism and other things. (alas it was too geeky, and most did not get it)

So here I am. An Unbeliever. (Or a Reformed Believer, if you like--in that I used to believe, but I no longer due, having waken up from the fantasy-dream.)

I do not use the term "ex-believer" as this would imply some things that are simply not true.

For me, faith is a mentally-lazy way to "explain" things for which the real world answer is either too hard, or too uncomfortable, or simply without a good answer (with the ever-implied yet).

So I don't have any; call me a Materialist, if you prefer, it's reasonable. You could also call me a Humanist, and that would be fairly accurate as well.

Grew up being force-fed christianity, in spite of the cognitive dissonance required to embrace what it says in it's bible, and what the people who claimed to practice it, says it is supposed to be. (even as a child, I quickly recognized that the bible did not match what people said it said... spent a lot of time in the halls outside of sunday school class, for pointing this out to ...ahem... "teachers". No matter-- gave me time to think, and later, to read for myself)

So here I am. This represents my 3rd post, having already located the DIR appropriate for my worldview.

Note to Moderators: 'atheism' is not, in fact, an actual religion. It's rather the empty spot in the list, if you eliminate all the trappings that 'religion' represents. Atheism is kind of like reality: it is whatever is left over, after you stop believing [in things for which there is no evidence]

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
At first, I read "toxic refugee".
But welcome aboard anyway!

Now, just for you......
th

We also have haggis....
th

Tastes as good as it looks!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hello there. I was directed here, by a fellow Topix . com poster. That venue has restricted world access to it's content, and only North American posters can see their threads. Kinda ruined the dialog for me and all of my non Western fellow posters. If you are from there? Feel free to contact me here-- I went by Bob of Quantum-Faith, which represents a lovely Joke about Agnosticism and other things. (alas it was too geeky, and most did not get it)

So here I am. An Unbeliever. (Or a Reformed Believer, if you like--in that I used to believe, but I no longer due, having waken up from the fantasy-dream.)

I do not use the term "ex-believer" as this would imply some things that are simply not true.

For me, faith is a mentally-lazy way to "explain" things for which the real world answer is either too hard, or too uncomfortable, or simply without a good answer (with the ever-implied yet).

So I don't have any; call me a Materialist, if you prefer, it's reasonable. You could also call me a Humanist, and that would be fairly accurate as well.

Grew up being force-fed christianity, in spite of the cognitive dissonance required to embrace what it says in it's bible, and what the people who claimed to practice it, says it is supposed to be. (even as a child, I quickly recognized that the bible did not match what people said it said... spent a lot of time in the halls outside of sunday school class, for pointing this out to ...ahem... "teachers". No matter-- gave me time to think, and later, to read for myself)

So here I am. This represents my 3rd post, having already located the DIR appropriate for my worldview.

Note to Moderators: 'atheism' is not, in fact, an actual religion. It's rather the empty spot in the list, if you eliminate all the trappings that 'religion' represents. Atheism is kind of like reality: it is whatever is left over, after you stop believing [in things for which there is no evidence]

Hi Bob.

I've been here not so long myself but managed a little play around. The interface is not as intuitive as topix but discussions are more cerebral.

Regarding atheism, i like the one - atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby.

Here's a couple of threads you may like

The Big Bang and Evolution

What are the best arguments in favor of theism and against atheism?

Regolith Based Lifeforms

Early Earth Was Not Sterile

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey Bob, welcome to the forums. :)

Atheism is not a religion, that is true. But neither is theism. Both atheism and theism are umbrella terms for many different beliefs, some religious and some irreligious. There are religious atheists (some paths of Buddhism, some paths of Hinduism, some Left Hand paths, etc.) though most here on the forums are irreligious like me. So don't be surprised if you see some religious atheists posting around.

Hope you enjoy your stay!