• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Topics related to improving community life in online neighborhoods

Jim

Nets of Wonder
This is an update on my thoughts about possibilities in Internet discussions and how they might happen. I’m thinking that progress might be in the direction of people caring more about how the discussions are affecting other people; having more genuinely friendly interest in each other’s ideas; learning more from each other; encouraging and supporting each other in whatever good they're doing; not thinking of people in terms of religious and political groups and categories; I’m thinking that it will happen through conscious efforts, people working individually on improving their own attitudes, skills and practices for those purposes, and together, some people agreeing on some ideas to practice and promote. I’m thinking that there will be systematic training, and mentoring.

Sometimes when I see people doing things I like, I try to find some friendly and helpful ways to respond. Sometimes people and their discussions are adversely affected by what’s happening. I’ve learned some ways to help reduce and counteract harmful and distracting behavior, to work around it, and to help reduce and counteract its effects.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This is an update on my thoughts about possibilities in Internet discussions and how they might happen. I’m thinking that progress might be in the direction of people caring more about how the discussions are affecting other people; having more genuinely friendly interest in each other’s ideas; learning more from each other; encouraging and supporting each other in whatever good they're doing; not thinking of people in terms of religious and political groups and categories; I’m thinking that it will happen through conscious efforts, people working individually on improving their own attitudes, skills and practices for those purposes, and together, some people agreeing on some ideas to practice and promote. I’m thinking that there will be systematic training, and mentoring.

Sometimes when I see people doing things I like, I try to find some friendly and helpful ways to respond. Sometimes people and their discussions are adversely affected by what’s happening. I’ve learned some ways to help reduce and counteract harmful and distracting behavior, to work around it, and to help reduce and counteract its effects.
A very good post @Jim :)

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I’ll be posting some ideas in the thread Ideas and resources for people practicing and promoting better online behavior?, in response to discussions in the thread Important Questionnaire #8: Reporting Rules Violations. In this thread I’ll be putting my ideas about behavior issues in a larger context of what I’m aiming for.

I might have interests opposed to the interests of most or all of the people complaining about other people’s behavior or violations of forum rules. For example when people only complain about the behavior of their adversaries across some religious or political divide, I have some interests opposed to theirs. When people are only concerned about losing members, I have some interests opposed to theirs. When people’s ideas revolve around changes in the rules or in staff actions and policies, I have some interests opposed to theirs. When people think it’s okay to disparage a person’s character or capacities or to vilify their motives and intentions in public discussions, I have some interests opposed to theirs. When people’s concerns revolve around.protecting themselves or some groups or categories of people from feeling hurt or offended, I have some interests opposed to theirs.

I’m imagining Internet discussions becoming more friendly and fun for every person reading and posting, and more beneficial to them and to all people everywhere. I’m imaging community life in online neighborhoods becoming healthier, happier and more loving for every person reading and posting in them. I’m thinking of all that as an end in itself, and not as a way to keep people coming back, or to benefit me and people that I like or want to protect.

I’m thinking that people will be learning more and more to value all people everywhere and care what happens to them, including when they’re reading and posting in Internet discussions. I’m thinking that people will be learning more and more not to think of themselves and other people in terms of religious and political identities and categories, in their interactions with people.

Last edited:

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I’m imagining people in Internet discussions trying to understand what other people are thinking, not so they can tear it apart, but to see the good in it and learn from it. I’m thinking of people on Internet discussions sharing ideas and experiences, encouraging and supporting each other in whatever good each one is trying to do.