• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Top Ten Shocking Beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses"

Audie

Veteran Member
Wow, information in a Website from an ex-JW, Bill Cedar! Could you find a more objective source?

If it matters to you what kind of cult you are in-
which I am sure it does not-then you dont need me
to help you check on it.

You didnt ever tell me btw if you think god must be
a cowboy at heart.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I find it most interesting - and not commented on - that this video is from Jehovah's Witness Truth Ministries. It's not so much a list of "shocking beliefs" casting them in a negative light, but beliefs that might "shock" others because they're - quote-unquote - "true". I can't seem to find it, but at one point I had a list of very odd (and some dangerous) beliefs that were shared by ex-members. Those are more shocking than some ego-stroke video.

dianaiad

Thoughts?

I did not view the video.
I will not view the video.

If the guy in the video IS a Jehovah's Witness, then I might go there.

If he is not, then one can absolutely depend that the presentation is biased, the information presented incorrectly and misrepresented/twisted.

If I want to know what Jehovah's Witnesses believe, I'll ask a Jehovah's Witness.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I did not view the video.
I will not view the video.
I did not, will not, Sam-I-Am.

Thanks for the info. I know we'll all be able to sleep a lot better tonight.

If the guy in the video IS a Jehovah's Witness, then I might go there.

If he is not, then one can absolutely depend that the presentation is biased, the information presented incorrectly and misrepresented/twisted.

If I want to know what Jehovah's Witnesses believe, I'll ask a Jehovah's Witness.
Nice little prejudice you have going for yourself. Is this a Mormon thing? I know they have a couple of pretty wild beliefs themselves.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What is shocking to me that the Jehovah's Witnesses do again and again is calling what the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses decide and do is saying it is Jehovah deciding and doing it. Heads up! Honest to God. The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses is NOT God.

dianaiad

I did not, will not, Sam-I-Am.

Thanks for the info. I know we'll all be able to sleep a lot better tonight.

Nice little prejudice you have going for yourself. Is this a Mormon thing? I know they have a couple of pretty wild beliefs themselves.

Yes. I am prejudiced.
Very much so.

Here it is in a nutshell:

I do not trust that any non-believer of any belief system will present those beliefs fairly, honestly or correctly. There is no, and I repeat, NO, incentive for a non-believer to present the beliefs of any religion in a positive, or even fairly neutral, way, because there is no such thing as a neutral position in religion.

In order to check to see if that informant is correct in what s/he says ABOUT the target religion, one will have to go to a believer to confirm it. Since this is so, it's better just to go to a believer in the first place.

Consider: there is no incentive for a believer to lie about what his/her beliefs actually are. I mean, the POINT is to convert people, right? Or at least, to have people think well of them and/or not hate them?

So why lie about it? WE might end up thinking those beliefs are strange, but when we do, we will have an honest comparison to make that judgment call. I think we can make up our own minds.

So yeah, I'm a Mormon. You might think we have strange beliefs, and to you they may well be. However, unless you got the information ABOUT Mormonism FROM A MORMON, you don't really know if those beliefs are actually 'Mormon" or not.

Because no third party is going to present them honestly even if they intend to and think they are. It's not possible.

..............................that's why I won't go to third party sources for information about the beliefs of any system.

So....is the guy in this video a JW or not? If he is, then you have poisoned the well pretty thoroughly by characterizing those beliefs as 'shocking,' in an attempt to prejudice the viewers.

I find that sort of thing to be underhanded at best.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
(Sits back like Darth Sidious)

thats-good-emperor-palpatine-meme.png

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thoughts?.
They believe Jesus died on 'an upright stake'? Impalement, the method Vlad Dracul made his trademark? The one mentioned in 2 Samuel 21 (but usually politely translated as 'hung')?

If that's right, then they don't believe in the stigmata, but I don't know what they call what replaces it.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
They believe Jesus died on 'an upright stake'? Impalement, the method Vlad Dracul made his trademark? The one mentioned in 2 Samuel 21 (but usually politely translated as 'hung')?

If that's right, then they don't believe in the stigmata, but I don't know what they call what replaces it.

There is nothing that replaces it
confused0065.gif
.....to us such a grisly thing is more than likely either demonic or psychosomatically produced. No miracle in the Bible was for show. Every single one was a demonstration of what was to come in the new world under Messiah's Kingdom. There will be no weeping statues or icons and since stigmata is primarily a Catholic phenomena, we hardly think it is a "Christian" manifestation at all. Sorry.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Yes, probably, filled with half-truths. I don’t read information from known liars.

As you no doubt view certain websites.

I just want the info from a more objective, reputable source.
So you didn't even listen to what he said, yet you imply he wasn't objective and even say he was wrong. *sheeesh!*
facepalm-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gif

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not trust that any non-believer of any belief system will present those beliefs fairly, honestly or correctly. There is no, and I repeat, NO, incentive for a non-believer to present the beliefs of any religion in a positive, or even fairly neutral, way, because there is no such thing as a neutral position in religion
How can you claim to have a neutral, balanced view if you never learn about criticisms or cons to the pros? I can understand wanting to get both sides of a story, but only getting one side, either side, couldn't be seen as objective imo.