• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Ten musical influencers of each decade?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'll start off with the 1960s - probably the decade I'm most familiar with, and this below perhaps being skewed to some of the music I was listening to then and did like:

1. Sgt Pepper – The Beatles
2. Led Zeppelin I – Led Zeppelin
3. The Velvet Underground and Nico – The Velvet Underground
4. Pet Sounds – The Beach Boys
5. The Doors – The Doors
6. Highway 61 Revisited – Bob Dylan
7. The Stooges – The Stooges
8. Are You Experienced – Jimi Hendrix Experience
9. Tommy – The Who
10. In The Court of the Crimson King – King Crimson

Those that I had albums of or did see live being - Led Zeppelin, The Velvet Underground, The Doors, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, and King Crimson. Although I also liked much of the others on the list too. Certainly many can't be questioned as to being the influencers of the 1960s. Many missing from this list perhaps.

What about other decades?

kadzbiz

Why did you use the term "influencers" and then proceed to nominate purely bands? Surely you don't believe there weren't any non-bands that weren't influencers? What about MLK, JFK, Indira Gandhi, Che Guevara, Betty Friedan, Malcolm X, Picasso, to name a few?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Why did you use the term "influencers" and then proceed to nominate purely bands? Surely you don't believe there weren't any non-bands that weren't influencers? What about MLK, JFK, Indira Gandhi, Che Guevara, Betty Friedan, Malcolm X, Picasso, to name a few?
Did they sing or play instruments?

kadzbiz

I know the title was confusing but the DIR sets the context. ;)

When I first read it Instagram and TikTok buffoons came to mind.
ok. i just searched the "unanswered threads" and didn't really take into account the DIR.

I retract my post (without actually deleting it)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'll start off with the 1960s - probably the decade I'm most familiar with, and this below perhaps being skewed to some of the music I was listening to then and did like:

1. Sgt Pepper – The Beatles
2. Led Zeppelin I – Led Zeppelin
3. The Velvet Underground and Nico – The Velvet Underground
4. Pet Sounds – The Beach Boys
5. The Doors – The Doors
6. Highway 61 Revisited – Bob Dylan
7. The Stooges – The Stooges
8. Are You Experienced – Jimi Hendrix Experience
9. Tommy – The Who
10. In The Court of the Crimson King – King Crimson

Those that I had albums of or did see live being - Led Zeppelin, The Velvet Underground, The Doors, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, and King Crimson. Although I also liked much of the others on the list too. Certainly many can't be questioned as to being the influencers of the 1960s. Many missing from this list perhaps.

What about other decades?
I nominate Johnny Cash.

Other decades?

One is certainly

Chumbawamba -I get knocked down- -Land of do what your told-

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Not my list, and Dylan is there. This list was about Rock music - so perhaps rather limiting - and I did ask for suggestions, given so many others in this decade could have been there. I presume the list came about from the changes coming from these artists more than much else, and it did relate to albums of this decade. Had to start somewhere though. :D

rocala

Only got to five as I am in work. 70's

1/ Roxy Music - First Album
2/ David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
3/ Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
4/ Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
5/ Rod Stewart - Gasoline Alley

rocala

OK here is the rest, I am going to get fired one day.

6/Lou Reed - Transformer
7/ Genesis - Nursery Crime
8/ Yes - Relayer
9/ Neil Young - After the Goldrush
10/Led Zeppelin - III

F1fan

Veteran Member
There are many bands that influenced others. The Sex Pistols were very influential on late 70's and 80's music. There is a story about how they played their first concert in Manchester and only 40 peolpe attended, but from that one performance four bands emerged: Joy Division (who later became New Order), the Clash, The Buzzcocks, and The Slits. That was one performance, and they went on to inspire many more bands in the following years.

The band was formed as a gimick, and Malcom Mclaren didn't relaize he brought together a unique mix of talents until after they started writing their own songs.