• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top ten countries for religious persecution

danieldemol

Premium Member
I’m putting this in the debate forum because they didn’t say how they came to arrive at their list of top ten worst countries for religious persecution so I’m unsure of how informative it really is, but here is the list of top 10 worst countries for religious persecution

I was surprised to see that Iraq made #1 and that the Rohingya are considered the world’s most persecuted religious group (admittedly this is 1 year old so I wonder what if anything has changed).

Ellen Brown

I’m putting this in the debate forum because they didn’t say how they came to arrive at their list of top ten worst countries for religious persecution so I’m unsure of how informative it really is, but here is the list of top 10 worst countries for religious persecution

I was surprised to see that Iraq made #1 and that the Rohingya are considered the world’s most persecuted religious group (admittedly this is 1 year old so I wonder what if anything has changed).

Well, perhaps Iraq is not so surprising? I had thought it would be Syria or even Pakistan? Syria had a huge mix of religious diversity. In the North, right next to Turkey were Christians that spoke Aramaic. Then there were Yazidi. Apparently there were some Zoroastrians there. Then there is the usual insane mix of Sunni and Shia, and then there is Assad. So maybe some of that nuttiness spilled over into Iraq? I thought Daish was mostly done?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

That is an often informative channel, but it can make puzzling statements. Critical judgement is, as expected, desirable.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Well, perhaps Iraq is not so surprising? I had thought it would be Syria or even Pakistan? Syria had a huge mix of religious diversity. In the North, right next to Turkey were Christians that spoke Aramaic. Then there were Yazidi. Apparently there were some Zoroastrians there. Then there is the usual insane mix of Sunni and Shia, and then there is Assad. So maybe some of that nuttiness spilled over into Iraq? I thought Daish was mostly done?
Must be a year out of date, it’s a shame that I couldn’t find a similar report for this year

danieldemol

Premium Member
According to Religious News Service discrimination against Christians is noted:

China jumps a shocking 16 spots on the Open Doors World Watch List from No. 43 to No. 27, while India enters the top 10 list for the first time.
  1. North Korea
  2. Afghanistan
  3. Somalia
  4. Libya
  5. Pakistan
  6. Sudan
  7. Eritrea
  8. Yemen
  9. Iran
  10. India
It’s good that there is so much info on Christianity, but a shame that we don’t have similar data for other religions.

Ellen Brown

I'm in America, in the far West, and crime is pretty minimal, and pretty much no religions persecute each other, and I feel guilty at times for being so privileged. I know a girl from Syria, only been here 8 years or so. She doesn't talk about it and I don't press her. We have that ******* Trump, but still it could be so much worse ...

Neutral Name

Some of the persecution I knew about but some of it was very surprising to me. The U.S. I knew was being intolerant of Muslims. China I knew was intolerant of the Rohingyas and Christians except the State sanctioned Christians. I knew that there was Christian persecution in the Middle East but I didn't know that Egypt was that bad. I didn't know that the French were intolerant of Jews. I didn't know that there was sectarian violence in Mexico. I hate to admit that I have never even heard of Eritrea before and I love geography. I was very surprised by Sri Lanka and particularly Buddhists. I thought that Buddhists believed in peace and reverence for life above all else. It's sad but I wasn't surprised by Somalia. I already knew of this. North Korea was pretty obvious but it's nice to know that people do worship God despite their horrible circumstances. Myanmar I didn't know about. I was not surprised at Iraq. The Shias and Sunnis I knew were against each other. Isn't it odd that many Muslims are discriminated against in general without non-Muslims even knowing that there is a difference between the two?

What is the most amazing to me is that people will find a reason to hate other people no matter what. That has been the case since people became "civilized" or maybe even before. What is that?!! Are people inherently evil?

I did find this, "A Closer Look at How Religious Restrictions Have Risen Around the World"
How Religious Restrictions Have Risen Around the World

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It’s good that there is so much info on Christianity, but a shame that we don’t have similar data for other religions.
Yes. Discrimination against Muslims in China and other places is also a serious problem. And every other religious group faces discrimination in one form or another in some places.

Shad

Veteran Member

France surprised me. I get it has had problems but I didn't think it would be in the top 10