• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Gun: Maverick makes over $1 Billion

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
So when Ms Marvel made 1 billion dollars it was “Disney cooking the books.” But Top gun Maverick does the same and suddenly it’s proof that people don’t want “woke properties?”
Sounds a lot like people don’t care either way to me

Though reactions to the perceived success or failure of a movie are rather telling these days.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Top Gun: Maverick' Soars Past $1 Billion, Overtakes 'Doctor Strange 2' as the Highest-Grossing Movie of the Year Globally
Maybe Hollywood will take the hint and realize that a fun, good movie, with a story line, good acting and no woke agenda being shoved down people's throats sells... a lot.
Hopefully, they will get inspired and produce more good movie that people want to pay for.

I haven't seen this one, although I've been somewhat discouraged by Hollywood constantly rehashing old ideas from movies from decades ago.

But I didn't really care for the first Top Gun when it came out. I've liked some of Tom Cruise's movies, but this was not one of them. It seemed a bit sappy. It also was symbolic of a cultural turning point. Where there was a strong cultural current against war, that tide was turning at around the same time the original Top Gun came out. It's movies like this which made war cool again.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I haven't seen this one, although I've been somewhat discouraged by Hollywood constantly rehashing old ideas from movies from decades ago.

But I didn't really care for the first Top Gun when it came out. I've liked some of Tom Cruise's movies, but this was not one of them. It seemed a bit sappy. It also was symbolic of a cultural turning point. Where there was a strong cultural current against war, that tide was turning at around the same time the original Top Gun came out. It's movies like this which made war cool again.
While I can agree with the OP that people aren't happy with Hollywood pushing PC politics, I can also agree that Top Gun is likely war propaganda and that's concerning in regards to the current state of things. I haven't seen it yet and I plan to, so I can't say if it's a good movie or not. As I think of it now, I believe the original Top Gun may have been the first movie to make being in the armed forces something cool and trendy for young people. Definitely the most striking example, anyway.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
While I can agree with the OP that people aren't happy with Hollywood pushing PC politics, I can also agree that Top Gun is likely war propaganda and that's concerning in regards to the current state of things. I haven't seen it yet and I plan to, so I can't say if it's a good movie or not. As I think of it now, I believe the original Top Gun may have been the first movie to make being in the armed forces something cool and trendy for young people. Definitely the most striking example, anyway.

Another movie which I recall from around the same time was Iron Eagle (although a few months before), which I've often seen compared to Top Gun. Iron Eagle was pretty cheesy, too, although it made only a fraction of what Top Gun made. Back when the IMDb discussion boards were still around, I recall this long-running argument - not really about the movies, but about the F-16 vs. the F-14.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe Hollywood will take the hint and realize that a fun, good movie, with a story line, good acting and no woke agenda being shoved down people's throats sells... a lot.

I could see potential for an argument that movies like Top Gun also push a pro-war agenda, but that would be a moot point because every movie with a storyline could be understood to have one message or another. That has been the case throughout the entire history of cinema.

Besides, many movies accused of having a "woke agenda" have crossed the $1B mark as well: Frozen, Frozen 2, Zootopia, and multiple others. Then there are others that didn't cross that mark but still enjoyed tremendous success commercially and among fan opinion, such as Get Out, Us, Encanto, and Soul.

Clearly, there are a lot of factors influencing box-office revenue and a movie's success besides the perceived message of the movie. I doubt most moviegoers care to analyze movies as much as the vocal internet/"anti-woke" minority do.

Vee

Premium Member
Sorry, I refuse to see any movie that helps enrich Tom Cruise. I've seen too many Scientology documentaries to be comfortable with that.

I understand and your point of view makes a lot of sense, but actors, like everyone else, are free to spend their money as they please. I have no sympathy for scientology, but Tom Cruise is a great actor and if that's where he wants his money to go and it's nor illegal that's his right.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I understand and your point of view makes a lot of sense, but actors, like everyone else, are free to spend their money as they please. I have no sympathy for scientology, but Tom Cruise is a great actor and if that's where he wants his money to go and it's nor illegal that's his right.

And of course it's my right to not see a movie if I don't like who's in it. :shrug: