• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Gun: Maverick makes over $1 Billion

Vee

Premium Member
Top Gun: Maverick' Soars Past $1 Billion, Overtakes 'Doctor Strange 2' as the Highest-Grossing Movie of the Year Globally
Maybe Hollywood will take the hint and realize that a fun, good movie, with a story line, good acting and no woke agenda being shoved down people's throats sells... a lot.
Hopefully, they will get inspired and produce more good movie that people want to pay for.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
"Woke agenda" :rolleyes:

Dr Strange 2 is a product of a stagnating marvel stories using the same formula over and over again to diminishing returns.
But Top Gun and Dr Strange (along with their other contender, Jurassic World) are both boilerplate summer movies with not much braincells needed to process. That's why they're highest grossing. Appeal the greatest to the most common denominator. Sales has never been a sign of quality, just popularity.

Otherwise the year's best selling TV show, Stranger Things season 4, which predominantly includes two gay people, one with autism, and a good chunk of ethnic minorities, quality based on its record sales.

Viker

Häxan

Dr Strange 2 is a product of a stagnating marvel stories using the same formula over and over again to diminishing returns.
But Top Gun and Dr Strange (along with their other contender, Jurassic World) are both boilerplate summer movies with not much braincells needed to process. That's why they're highest grossing. Appeal the greatest to the most common denominator. Sales has never been a sign of quality, just popularity.
I like Strange 2 mainly because I got to see one of my favorite characters go full Witch on a bunch of nerds. :D

Viker

Häxan
It's not a bad movie, no. It's just that I think it's time Tom retires and Hollywood takes a break from sequels for a while.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I like Strange 2 mainly because I got to see one of my favorite characters go full Witch on a bunch of nerds. :D
I thought it was okay. Pretty much how I think most superhero movies go. Safe and don't move the needle much.
It's not a bad movie, no. It's just that I think it's time Tom retires and Hollywood takes a break from sequels for a while.
Agreed. Need some new IP out there. Coasting on gigantic franchises gets dull.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Top Gun: Maverick' Soars Past $1 Billion, Overtakes 'Doctor Strange 2' as the Highest-Grossing Movie of the Year Globally
Maybe Hollywood will take the hint and realize that a fun, good movie, with a story line, good acting and no woke agenda being shoved down people's throats sells... a lot.
Hopefully, they will get inspired and produce more good movie that people want to pay for.
I really don't like movies that glamourize killing and/or war.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Let's be honest. So many women love Top Gun movies because of Tom Cruise...:p

Even if I prefer romantic comedies with lots of realism.

Last edited:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry, I refuse to see any movie that helps enrich Tom Cruise. I've seen too many Scientology documentaries to be comfortable with that.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Otherwise the year's best selling TV show, Stranger Things season 4, which predominantly includes two gay people, one with autism, and a good chunk of ethnic minorities, quality based on its record sales.

Dr. Strange 2 was literally the worst Marvel movie I've seen. And I love Marvel movies.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I actually thought End Game was okay. I would've liked to see Infinity War go differently but End Game did a decent job putting a bow on it.

DS2 was ridiculously campy, over the top, and erased all Wanda's character development from Wandavision.
My biggest problem with End Game, apart from the pacing issues, was that Thanos' made up villain reasoning was really illogical and making him sympathetic was pretty monstrous. Also the 'girl power' scene felt like pandering rather than an earned ****** moment.

Doesn't help that I really don't like MCU version of Gamora (who never was interested in Peter Quill and was much more of a gregarious barbarian type.)

I didn't mind Wanda being a bad guy in DS2 because she's been a bad guy in the comics a bunch of times (on a much bigger, universe altering scale) but I agree putting this story right after Wandavision kind of invalidates the story arch.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
My biggest problem with End Game, apart from the pacing issues, was that Thanos' made up villain reasoning was really illogical and making him sympathetic was pretty monstrous. Also the 'girl power' scene felt like pandering rather than an earned ****** moment.

Doesn't help that I really don't like MCU version of Gamora (who never was interested in Peter Quill and was much more of a gregarious barbarian type.)

I didn't mind Wanda being a bad guy in DS2 because she's been a bad guy in the comics a bunch of times (on a much bigger, universe altering scale) but I agree putting this story right after Wandavision kind of invalidates the story arch.

Okay well obviously we need more movie and TV review threads! :D

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I liked DS2 and End Game. The marvel movie I found the most, meh: was Ms. Marvel. That one felt really campy to me.
Ironically that was one I saw in a fancy couch theater because I went to a premiere hosted by the lady who wrote that comic (Kelly Sue DeConnick). We got the invite because my husband and I taught her kid how to play dungeons and dragons. Lol

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Ironically that was one I saw in a fancy couch theater because I went to a premiere hosted by the lady who wrote that comic (Kelly Sue DeConnick). We got the invite because my husband and I taught her kid how to play dungeons and dragons. Lol

Sounds like a fair trade off to me!

Those couch theatres are awesome. Did it have in-movie catering/food service too?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've never even seen Top Gun (the 1st one).
But I did recently see Downton Abbey, A New Era.
The series is better, but this movie wrapped up
everyone's story to a fine conclusion....even
the Dowager. Lady Edith is happy at last.

Last edited: