• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 10 Reasons for Civil Marriage Equality

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
From HRC: :jam:

Top 10 Reasons for Civil Marriage Equality

10. Marriage equality would build on America’s tradition of moving civil rights forward and erasing the inequities of the past. More than 10 nations already allow same-sex couples to get married or to enter federally recognized domestic partnerships. What’s more, the fact that excluding same-sex couples from marriage has a long history in this country doesn’t necessarily mean that this policy is in keeping with American values. The real tradition in this country has been to pass laws to safeguard the American people and to expand laws where they leave citizens unprotected, as was done for voting rights and workplace protections. It is also an American tradition to abandon discriminatory laws, even if they are popular – as were bans on interracial marriage and Jim Crow laws segregating the races in everyday life.

9. Marriage protects couples nationwide. Unlike civil unions and domestic partner registries, which aren’t portable, marriages are recognized across state lines, under the Constitution’s full faith and credit clause. If the question of recognition is left to the states, same-sex couples in some states might not achieve equality for decades. After all, it wasn’t until 2000 that Alabama voters removed laws against interracial marriage from the state constitution – and that was with a solid 40 percent voting to keep the law on the books.

8. Separate is not equal. Although any step toward legal recognition of same-sex couples and their families is a step in the right direction, GLBT families will not be truly equal until they, too, can receive marriage licenses. As American history has proven, a separate but equal system does not ensure real equality. And nothing short of marriage would provide same-sex couples with the more than 1,000 benefits, responsibilities and protections afforded under federal law on the basis of marital status.

7. Public support is growing. The Human Rights Campaign released results in August 2003 from a poll (conducted by the Democratic polling firm of Peter D. Hart Research Associates and the Republican firm American Viewpoint) showing that 50 percent of registered voters support or accept granting marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples as long as religious institutions do not have to recognize or perform these marriages. A total of 47 percent were opposed. There is no consensus in this country around denying the legal protections of marriage to same-sex couples. In fact, polls show us that a plurality of voters support or accept granting marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples. And, according to a Sept. 22, 2003, ABC News survey, only 20 percent would agree with amending the U.S. Constitution to ban marriage for gays and lesbians.

6. GLBT people deserve equal access to the American dream. Gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people grow up dreaming of falling in love, getting married and growing old together. Just as much as the next person, same-sex couples should be able to fulfill that dream. We know from anecdotal evidence that after same-sex couples have a commitment ceremony, their friends and family treat them differently – as a married couple. Shouldn’t they, too, have the legal security that goes along with that?

5. Marriage provides families stability and security.
One thing that both sides of the marriage issue can agree upon is that marriage strengthens families. Children are more secure if they are raised in homes with two loving parents who have a legal relationship with them and can share the responsibility of parenthood. According to conservative estimates from the 2000 census, there are more than 1 million children being raised by same-sex couples in the United States. Without the ability to establish a legal relationship to both parents, children of same-sex couples are left without important protections, such as Social Security survivor benefits. These children should not be penalized just because their parents are gay.

4. There are hundreds of ways in which state laws take marital status into account, including some of the most basic of human rights. State laws protect married couples in extremely important ways, such as allowing hospital visitation, the right to inherit without a will and the right to make decisions in a medical emergency. Some of these can be secured through costly legal documents, but not all of them can. Furthermore, same-sex couples – who pay the same taxes and work just as hard as other couples – should not be forced to pay higher taxes and high legal fees just because of whom they love.

3. The Constitution promises liberty and justice to all Americans, not just the majority. Opponents of marriage equality are pushing a divisive measure that would amend the U.S. Constitution to state that marriage “shall consist only of the union of a man and a woman.” The Constitution has been used throughout American history to ensure, protect and expand the individual liberties of Americans. It has never been amended to single out a class of people for unequal treatment, but it has been amended to grant freedom of speech, religious liberty and voting rights for women. The Constitution should secure equality, not restrict it.

2. No religious institution would be required to perform a ceremony. Just as no religious institution can be required by the government to marry an interfaith couple, no religious institution could or should be told to marry a same-sex couple. Right now, the government fails to ensure religious freedom when it refuses to honor the unions of same-sex couples performed by one religion the same way it honors those of opposite-sex couples. Let me just say that again so everyone understands,
No religious institution would be required to perform a ceremony.

1. There are at least 1,049 protections, benefits and responsibilities extended to married couples under federal law, according to a 1997 study by the General Accounting Office. Gay and lesbian couples in lifelong relationships pay higher taxes and are denied basic protections under the law. They receive no Social Security survivor benefits upon the death of a partner, despite paying payroll taxes. They must pay federal income taxes on their employer’s contributions toward their domestic partner’s health insurance, while married employees do not have to pay such taxes for their spouses. They must pay all estate taxes when a partner dies. They often pay significant tax penalties when they inherit a 401(k) from their partner. They are denied family leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act. All American families deserve these crucial protections.

------------------------------

We've established time and again that there is no secular or legal reasons to discriminate against same sex couples. The only reason that is ever given is that it is against the majority's religion. So, I ask yet again of those who oppose civil marriage equality, why are BGLT Americans being denied equal legal rights and being punished for not following someone else's religious beliefs? What do you disagree with in the above list? Why do you target BGLT families to hurt?

Anyone who is in the Richmond, VA area today and think it is an affront to the Constitution, to civil rights, to liberty and freedom, and to the institution of marriage to deny same sex couples equal legal rights, I invite you to join me and members of my church and others at noon at the "Make Love Legal" event downtown in John Marshall Courts Building.

We are
hoping that this event will provide an opportunity to educate voters about the proposed "marriage amendment" that will go before voters this November, and about how far it could go in taking basic rights away from Virginians. As presently written, the amendment’s vague and broad language could jeopardize the contractual rights of ANY two people of the same sex who enter into private contracts. It could void wills, medical directives, powers of attorney and insurance policies. It could strip healthcare benefits, and could void parenting and custody agreements.

The threats posed by such discriminatory legislation in Virginia have impacted my church directly. More than one family in the congregation has made the decision to leave Virginia for states such as Massachusetts and Maryland, whose laws treat same-sex couples and their families more equitably.

Happy Valentine's Day :blowkiss:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
"Unlike civil unions and domestic partner registries, which aren’t portable, marriages are recognized across state lines"

Of course, that is something that never occurred to me, and is atypical of the States alone.
Has anyone honestly thought of going to the court of human rights ? - if same sex marriage contracts are available in certain states, it strikes me that there would be a great case................Maybe Bob could look into this idea (though it is bound to have been thought of).

You know my views, anyway, Maize.:hug: :val:

pdoel

attachment.php.gif
attachment.php.gif

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
michel said:
if same sex marriage contracts are available in certain states, it strikes me that there would be a great case...............

States rights are a big deal here. No state wants another state telling it what to do. The reason for the flurry of state marriage amendments in recent years is in response to states like Vermont and Massachusetts who have decided that it is not in their best interest to discriminate against same sex couples and have opened the door to marriage equality. Other states don't want to have to recognize same sex marriages or civil unions that are legal in those states.

That's why we need this done at the federal level. But in the meantime we are putting out fires state to stat. Such as in Virginia where not only will the "marriage amendment" deny marriage equality to all Virginians, it will also make any legal contract between two people of the same sex - life partners or not - null and void.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
When I was a child, I used to talk like a child, think like a child, reason as a child; When I became a man, I but aside childish things.. 1st Corinthians 13:11 It's time to quit reasoning like a child, understand God's love for all and allow GBLT to marry whom they chose! Excellent OP! :clap

jewscout

Religious Zionist
i don't see a reason why secular legal rights should not be given across the board, so long as it doesn't impose upon religion...

excellent post!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
As far as I am concerned (But I might be in the minority):hearts: :val: , it could "impose" on Religion...........God is LOVE.

Ðanisty

Such as in Virginia where not only will the "marriage amendment" deny marriage equality to all Virginians, it will also make any legal contract between two people of the same sex - life partners or not - null and void.
Whoah! That's scary...what about legal contracts like say, between brothers?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Ðanisty said:
Yep. Those could be contested as well because the language of the bill is so broad and so vague. Any good lawyer could agrue it and win.

pdoel

Ðanisty said:
Well, using that same argument, what about a legal marriage between a brother and a sister?

Ðanisty

pdoel said:
Well, using that same argument, what about a legal marriage between a brother and a sister?
It's not even about marriage. The new law does not specify relationships. It simply specifies legal contracts between two people of the same sex. In theory, I could sell a car to my sister and later take it back and a good lawyer can defend my "theft" of the car because a legal contract between 2 women is void.

pdoel

Ðanisty said:
It's not even about marriage. The new law does not specify relationships. It simply specifies legal contracts between two people of the same sex. In theory, I could sell a car to my sister and later take it back and a good lawyer can defend my "theft" of the car because a legal contract between 2 women is void.
I didn't realize there were new laws allowing same sex marriages or unions.

However, I think this rational is a good explanation of why same-sex marriages should be just that. Marriages, and not unions. They should fall under the same guidelines as any other marriage, only difference being they are between a man/man or woman/woman instead of man/woman.

That would mean you can't marry a sibling, father, mother, cousin, aunt, uncle, and so on and so forth. If people want to try and benefit by "marrying" a best friend, well, they'd have to abide by the same laws around divorce in the event they tried to divorce. So, that would probably keep people from doing something goofy on a whim.

Now that's often been an argument against same sex marriages, that anybody could go and apply for one just to get benefits. But that actually happens today with straight couples. People marry to get into the country or to get their citizenship faster. People marry out of convenience. Brittney Spears married as a drunken prank.

Ðanisty

Actually, the law is against same-sex marriage or unions. In fact, by the way it's worded, it's against any legal contract between any two people of the same sex for any purpose. It may mean, if someone chooses to use it this way, that I could not sell my house to a woman, or that i'm uneligable for any inheritance from my mother. Do you see what I'm saying? The law is so extremely vague that it could easily be abused to harm people who don't have anything to do with gay marriage.

linwood

Many if not all of these laws also weaken current criminal law,

There was a case(was it Ohio?) of domestic abuse between a heterosexual couple that couldn`t be litigated under the strict guidelines of domestic abuse because of the new law (to stop gay marriage)that states those rights are only for married couples.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Ðanisty said:
Actually, the law is against same-sex marriage or unions. In fact, by the way it's worded, it's against any legal contract between any two people of the same sex for any purpose. It may mean, if someone chooses to use it this way, that I could not sell my house to a woman, or that i'm uneligable for any inheritance from my mother. Do you see what I'm saying? The law is so extremely vague that it could easily be abused to harm people who don't have anything to do with gay marriage.
Exactly. Here's the actual wording of the amendment:

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:1. That the Code of Virginia is amended by adding a section numbered 20-45.3 as follows:

§ 20-45.3. Civil unions between persons of same sex.

A civil union, partnership contract or other arrangement between persons of the same sex purporting to bestow the privileges or obligations of marriage is prohibited. Any such civil union, partnership contract or other arrangement entered into by persons of the same sex in another state or jurisdiction shall be void in all respects in Virginia and any contractual rights created thereby shall be void and unenforceable.

Nothing good is going to come of this amendment for anyone.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
linwood said:
Many if not all of these laws also weaken current criminal law,

There was a case(was it Ohio?) of domestic abuse between a heterosexual couple that couldn`t be litigated under the strict guidelines of domestic abuse because of the new law (to stop gay marriage)that states those rights are only for married couples.
Yep. The proponents of the amendment here in Virginia say that won't happen, but I see nothing in the langauge of the bill that precludes the same thing happening here if this amendment is passed.

Aqualung

Tasty
Maize said:
Exactly. Here's the actual wording of the amendment:

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:1. That the Code of Virginia is amended by adding a section numbered 20-45.3 as follows:

§ 20-45.3. Civil unions between persons of same sex.

A civil union, partnership contract or other arrangement between persons of the same sex purporting to bestow the privileges or obligations of marriage is prohibited. Any such civil union, partnership contract or other arrangement entered into by persons of the same sex in another state or jurisdiction shall be void in all respects in Virginia and any contractual rights created thereby shall be void and unenforceable.

Nothing good is going to come of this amendment for anyone.
I think that's pretty clear.

Ardent Listener

Maize said:
Yep. The proponents of the amendment here in Virginia say that won't happen, but I see nothing in the langauge of the bill that precludes the same thing happening here if this amendment is passed.
I believe that the Ohio amendment also outlawed "common law" marriage. I guess they tried hard to close any "loopholes" in the law.