• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Top 10 Facts The Mormon Church Doesn’t Want Its Members To Know "

Watchmen

Premium Member
Thanks for the heads up, @Revoltingest. I wouldn't have seen it if you hadn't tagged me as Skwim's on my ignore list. I watched some of the video, but I'm getting ready to leave the house and won't be available to comment in much detail either today or tomorrow. As is the case with most anti-Mormon videos, the majority of the information being presented is either completely false, taken out-of-context, highly embellished or otherwise worded in such a way that it is sure to maximize shock value. People generally want to believe the worst; it helps them justify their bigotry. Let's put it this way... This video is not intended to be educational. It's not intended to be objective. It's not intended to be accurate. I Most of Joseph's marriages (and there were many) were considered to be "spiritual" in nature, uniting him and the woman in the next life. Joseph Smith never fathered a single, solitary child with any woman other than his first wife, Emma. He had eleven children with her, so obviously he was fertile.
Thanks for the heads up, @Revoltingest.

So why would a man marry a woman (or young girl) if he didn't intend to have sex with her? Most of Joseph's marriages (and there were many) were considered to be "spiritual" in nature, uniting him and the woman in the next life. Joseph Smith never fathered a single, solitary child with any woman other than his first wife, Emma. He had eleven children with her, so obviously he was fertile.

Isn’t it true that some of Joseph’s wives testified during a property dispute that they had sexual relations with the prophet?

Ellen Brown

Yep. We’re all human beings. Some believe in facts. Some believe in fairytales. So how is sharing facts “bashing?” Can you explain?

I was Mormon for around 5 years, and the fact of the matter is that they didn't want me because of the leadership's lurid imaginings about my life style. Of the Christian belief systems, they are as good as any and better than most. They are quite secretive about some practices and I think that has served to wound them and besmirch their reputation, in my opinion. Find me a religious sect with a perfect history, and that includes Muslims and Jews.

There are some practices that I object to. The presence of the Angel Moroni on top of their Temples amounts to idol worship to me. The holy garments are ludicrous.

The thing that kept me a member was the sweet and reverent Sacrament Service, and Communion every Sunday. I finally gave up and left because of their insistence about worthiness and the Temple attendance, something that I was forbidden of.

As a result of leaving that sect, it is clear that no sect that I view as legitimate will ever accept me, and for that reason I see myself as an Abrahamic Religionist, not a member of anything full stop.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I was Mormon for around 5 years, and the fact of the matter is that they didn't want me because of the leadership's lurid imaginings about my life style. Of the Christian belief systems, they are as good as any and better than most. They are quite secretive about some practices and I think that has served to wound them and besmirch their reputation, in my opinion. Find me a religious sect with a perfect history, and that includes Muslims and Jews.

There are some practices that I object to. The presence of the Angel Moroni on top of their Temples amounts to idol worship to me. The holy garments are ludicrous.

The thing that kept me a member was the sweet and reverent Sacrament Service, and Communion every Sunday. I finally gave up and left because of their insistence about worthiness and the Temple attendance, something that I was forbidden of.

As a result of leaving that sect, it is clear that no sect that I view as legitimate will ever accept me, and for that reason I see myself as an Abrahamic Religionist, not a member of anything full stop.

Yep. No one is perfect. Every religion has its issues. Mormons are masters at making people feel unaccepted, so you’re experience isn’t surprising.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I'm waiting until you acknowledge that the entire thesis of the video is false.
Why? What difference does it make? I truly don't know if the entire thesis of the video is false or not, so no need to wait. And this being the case, if there is indeed mitigating evidence that substantially changes the 10, please share. Please set us straight.

Jane.Doe

Why? What difference does it make? I truly don't know if the entire thesis of the video is false or not, so no need to wait. And this being the case, if there is indeed mitigating evidence that substantially changes the 10, please share. Please set us straight.

It makes a HUGE difference as to whether or not the entire premise of the video is true or false. When the entire thesis is false, there's no purpose in wasting time going over the details. The entire video is built on a false premise with a bias slanted agenda of smear attack rather than being truly factual.

Watchmen

Premium Member
It makes a HUGE difference as to whether or not the entire premise of the video is true or false. When the entire thesis is false, there's no purpose in wasting time going over the details. The entire video is built on a false premise with a bias slanted agenda of smear attack rather than being truly factual.
This suggests you didn’t watch the video. Is that true?

Skwim

Veteran Member
It makes a HUGE difference as to whether or not the entire premise of the video is true or false.
The truth or falsity of the video's premise rests on whether or not I acknowledge that the entire thesis of the video is false? Really? Moi! Little ol' Skwim has that much power? C'mon, surly you jest.

When the entire thesis is false, there's no purpose in wasting time going over the details.
Now that's just goofy (to be polite). Have you never heard of true statements being used to support a false thesis? Truly?

False Thesis: the earth is flat.

The Details:

The sun rises on one side and sets on the other.
Standing at sea level the horizon always looks flat.
No one has ever seen all sides of the earth at the same time
The Bible says the Earth is flat

Ellen Brown

Yep. No one is perfect. Every religion has its issues. Mormons are masters at making people feel unaccepted, so you’re experience isn’t surprising.

It is hard to process that, I feel that in my early encounters, the locals kindness and love saved my life. Literally. Later, the management from the stake level up, subtly at first, utterly rejected me. I'd seen them invent reasons to excommunicate rebellious members, so I took peremptory action against them and resigned, having my name stricken from the record. According to my Bishop, this was a surprise to them.

Their pointed talks about the Temple felt like abuse to me, and I felt like I had the right to stop the abuse.

Watchmen

Premium Member
It is hard to process that, I feel that in my early encounters, the locals kindness and love saved my life. Literally. Later, the management from the stake level up, subtly at first, utterly rejected me. I'd seen them invent reasons to excommunicate rebellious members, so I took peremptory action against them and resigned, having my name stricken from the record. According to my Bishop, this was a surprise to them.

Their pointed talks about the Temple felt like abuse to me, and I felt like I had the right to stop the abuse.
Welcome arms to get you in the door then shaming when you don’t entirely “convert” to their precise way of thinking. I was a Mormon for decades and saw this every week.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Yep. We’re all human beings. Some believe in facts. Some believe in fairytales. So how is sharing facts “bashing?” Can you explain?

The entire emphasis is on the negative and there are good things about Mormon beliefs as well and Mormon people so I find it highly biased and unrealistic and not representative of the truth. This is my view.

Watchmen

Premium Member
The entire emphasis is on the negative and there are good things about Mormon beliefs as well and Mormon people so I find it highly biased and unrealistic and not representative of the truth. This is my view.
Do you have any knowledge of whether the ten “secrets” are true or not?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Do you have any knowledge of whether the ten “secrets” are true or not?

Have you invited the Mormons to reply to this? I would like to hear their version of the truth as there are always two sides to a story and a just judge listens to both sides.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Have you invited the Mormons to reply to this? I would like to hear their version of the truth as there are always two sides to a story and a just judge listens to both sides.
I was Mormon for decades and know both sides. I was a just judge (I’m a lawyer by trade), examines the evidence and realized how obviously false Mormon claims are.

Don’t get me wrong. There are many good Mormons. Some of my closest friends are Mormons. But I don’t believe in what the Mormon Church claims in terms of its origins and purpose.

Jane.Doe

@Katzpur and I both have. She first addressed the first point, and I talked about the overarching thesis. (You got to talk about one thing first).

Ellen Brown

I was Mormon for decades and know both sides. I was a just judge (I’m a lawyer by trade), examines the evidence and realized how obviously false Mormon claims are.

Don’t get me wrong. There are many good Mormons. Some of my closest friends are Mormons. But I don’t believe in what the Mormon Church claims in terms of its origins and purpose.

There are active Mormon here. Let them speak.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Well, it's been 21 hours and 43 posts since I first presented the video, and a whole lot of objections.

But not a single refutation of any of the 10 facts

A whole lot of tap dancing of course, but this was to be expected, Yet

Not A Single Refutation Of Any Of The 10 Facts

So it's reasonable to conclude the 10 facts stand as stated

ok.jpg

View attachment 26225

Last edited: