• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tool fetishists: cordless impact gun recommendations?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Anyone have any recommendations for cordless impact guns? I'm specifically looking for one that will reliably take wheel lug nuts off, even in the cold, but be cheap enough that it won't bankrupt me.

Oh... and I'm specifically looking for a 1/2" driver, since that's what all my sockets are (and I don't really trust a smaller one to have enough oomph).

Anyone have experience with these beasties? Know of any hidden gems? Products to avoid?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I use corded & cordless impact wrenches (Panasonic & Hitachi), but I've never used a cheap one. Moreover, I wouldn't take one
on the road....a T wrench weighs less, is more reliable & is fast if used properly. Avoid. cheap crap like Horrible Freight.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This isn't for regular road use. This would be for racing... specifically, to ride in a rally car.

And "fast" is relative. My record for a tire change is 3 minutes... though this was with a good impact gun.

Protip: if you have a good cordless impact gun and modify your scissor jack so that you weld a nut in place of that silly eye for the hooked crank handle thing, you can use the impact gun to zip your car up off the ground in a hurry. :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, if it's for racing, then you should consider one of those new higher
voltage brushless motor fellas. It won't be cheap, but it's for racing!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well, if it's for racing, then you should consider one of those new higher
voltage brushless motor fellas. It won't be cheap, but it's for racing!

Yeah... it's a pretty grassroots team. Everything is expensive in racing, so there isn't much money left over for toys like impact guns.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If you stick with a speed wrench, be sure to use anti-seize compound on the studs.
It makes for fast spinning without risk of loosening up while driving.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
The last combo kit I bought from Dewalt had a little 18 volt impact.

My first impression was Mickey mouse, but it worked quite well.

I would not use it for racing, but they are surprisingly awesome.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I use to use Dewalts in my business but the last 8-9 years I've used the Craftsman 19.2v drills.
I haven't used the impact tool but if its like the drill you should have plenty of torque. Also the batteries seem to keep a charge longer and the drills are practically indestructable. We use them on a daily basis.