• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

too thick to be Buddhist

LilyPhoenix

for a long time i have felt that am too stupid and uneducated enough that i cant get my head around some of the aspects of Buddhism i think i have to be like a professor or someone who have a clue what they are doing
i have never been good with learning things i have poor self esteem and dont think am able to learn new thing
but the thing is i want to be bright and educated i want to talk to other people about this religion but i havent go a clue
but i want to be Buddhist

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
for a long time i have felt that am too stupid and uneducated enough that i cant get my head around some of the aspects of Buddhism i think i have to be like a professor or someone who have a clue what they are doing
i have never been good with learning things i have poor self esteem and dont think am able to learn new thing
but the thing is i want to be bright and educated i want to talk to other people about this religion but i havent go a clue
Learn the art of Being, here now, and you will be well on your way.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

At the most basic, basic of levels you are already a Buddhist. Once you commit yourself to living and understanding The Dharma, it would cultivate itself as a lifestyle and religion.

But what is your purpose and what do you know about Dharma?

No one can tell you how to be a Buddhist but getting an idea of what you want to get out of it can help with motivation and whether Dharmic practice can help you. Self reflection rather than external instruction.

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I
Actually, I think you might have an advantage in this respect. So many people have to unlearn what they think Buddhism is about before they can actually get into Buddhadharma.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Don't tell me you've been listening to Buddhist Geeks. ;0)

Anyways there's a lot to be said for beginner's mind. It's an open field, with what you will discover later on, you'll inevitably become an old fuddy-duddy like me who doesn't know his *** from a hole in the ground half the time with kapok for brains.

Anyways now that I've intellectually stated my prestigious qualifications, you're actually in the right "spot". In traditional Buddhism, at least with "best" Zen schools, they just kind of pluck you down there without offering a clue as to what's going on. The best type of Buddhism is figuring it out for yourself as you feel and stumble your way into realization while at the same time wondering profusely as to what the hell is going on.

I remember having a conversation with a Roshi (teacher) who mentioned that he would rather just have his students sit down and practice Zazen starting with the counting of breaths without developing any preconceptions of just what Buddhism is forcing one to wonder what "fits the mold" and what doesn't, that would identify you as a Buddhist.

I started out with Philip Kapleau's Three Pillars of Zen. I actually wasn't very far from the Rochester Zen Center when I started in 2006. The book came across as being pretty heady and far too intellectualized for me to understand.

Shunryu Suzuki's Beginner's Mind resonated better and got me kick-started with the fundamentals of Zen practice to which later, I went the Bob Geldof route and started reading all these darned Brad Warner books.

Point being, the best advice I was ever given.....

"Sit down, and Shut Up".