• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too Much Religion?

youknowme

Whatever you want me to be.
Is it possible to have too much religion and/or to be too religious? What do you think and why? If so what would that entail?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Is it possible to have too much religion and/or to be too religious? What do you think and why? If so what would that entail?
It is certainly possible to take presumably religious beliefs too seriously for anyone's good.

That is a major resource for deciding what should count as proper religion, IMO. How good, if at all, are its self-correction mechanisms?

youknowme

It is certainly possible to take presumably religious beliefs too seriously for anyone's good.

That is a major resource for deciding what should count as proper religion, IMO. How good, if at all, are its self-correction mechanisms?

Does the idea of a "self correction mechanisms" run contrary to "religious faith"?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Most people I know who are highly religious are monks, nun, and priests. They, many, are so devoted that their religion goes from self to others. Many lay people (don't know others but christian) are still working on not having a selfish faith in which many see religious as a benefit from god by how many people tbey spread the word too. I see that as Too religious. Some religious are very indoctrinated it's hard to be friends with those who differ. Personal experience.

I guess there are two types. I see the positive side. The ones who say they are religious (or act it without saying it) I feel are taking their beliefs or abusing their beliefs. But the word isnt bad itself just how people use it.

Last edited:

youknowme

Not faith at its best connotations, but to stubborn belief, certainly.

Much of its role is to destroy such belief outright.

If you believe something is received by a divine source, how can it be then that a mere human can correct it?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If you believe something is received by a divine source, how can it be then that a mere human can correct it?

You would have to ask that to a theist, which I am not. I would never do or advise anyone to do such a thing as trust divine sources. That would be quite unwise, pointless, silly at the very least.

IMO it is instead for humans to validate the divine and decide whether it is a fair representation of the sacred, on a case-by-case basis... if they decide that dealing with god-concepts is worth the trouble at all, which is definitely not a given.

Ellen Brown

What do you think she meant by that?

For me, it means that we should think of the things of the Creator with the love our heart. However we need to keep focused on the present enough to be able to feed our children and take care of what we should.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What entails?
Religion can mean pretty much anything which mean a wide variety of prescriptive or descriptive behaviors which could be helpful, harmful or neutral for individuals or societies. Since it's such a huge umbrella, it'd be hard to answer the question with any insight

dfnj

The purpose of religion is to answer the four great existential questions:
1. Who am I?
2. Why am I here?
3. What does it all mean?
4. What is going to happen to me when I die?

I no longer think of God as an object. I think of God as a type of experience. God is the essence of the experience of "greatness". God is an experience we are drawn to. We are all drawn to God. God is our destiny. Our destiny is to experience God's greatness. When we die, we go into the light, we stare into the face of God, and we all get to experience God's infinite beauty.

Saying you have too much religion is like saying you are breathing too much air during the day. In my way of thinking, your question does not compute.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

It is possible to take any ideology -- religious or otherwise -- to an inhumane extreme. That happens whenever one elevates the ideology to make it more important than flesh and blood, more important than people. You can do that with any ideology, and it is always stupid and immoral.

youknowme

Religion can mean pretty much anything which mean a wide variety of prescriptive or descriptive behaviors which could be helpful, harmful or neutral for individuals or societies. Since it's such a huge umbrella, it'd be hard to answer the question with any insight
Sorry, but I don't feel it is needed or even worthwhile to try and define something like religion. Just pay attention to what the context around the word means and ask for clarification when needed.

youknowme

It is possible to take any ideology -- religious or otherwise -- to an inhumane extreme. That happens whenever one elevates the ideology to make it more important than flesh and blood, more important than people. You can do that with any ideology, and it is always stupid and immoral.
Is that always a bad thing? Aren't some ideas worth dying for?

youknowme

You would have to ask that to a theist, which I am not. I would never do or advise anyone to do such a thing as trust divine sources. That would be quite unwise, pointless, silly at the very least.

IMO it is instead for humans to validate the divine and decide whether it is a fair representation of the sacred, on a case-by-case basis... if they decide that dealing with god-concepts is worth the trouble at all, which is definitely not a given.
Why should I need to ask a theist? Is there something about "religious faith" that an atheist (or other non-believer) cannot understand?