• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too, Many, Commas!!

Skwim

Veteran Member
In magazines, they use the "-" when adding on to sentences, while not introducing an entirely new sentence - something like this.
Magazine punctuation can be pretty wild. Never use pop magazine writing as a guide to punctuation or grammar.

...Triple periods are really cool too.
This is called an ellipsis. When they occur at the end of a sentence there will be four periods in a row. Ellipsis are used when one omits a word, phrase, line, paragraph, or more from a quote. In informal writing sometimes more than a three-periods will be used for effect.

That aside, occasionally I'll come across writing with relatively few commas and realize how nice it is not to have to pause before going on. It's refreshing.

Last edited:

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
A lot of commas could mean: "a lot of thoughts",
new thought coming, wow....... there it is !

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!
I have a bad habit when writing of putting too many commas into what I write, and I find myself having to go back and edit out several when proofreading.

I consider myself to be above average with grammar, but I often surprise myself on where I throw in a comma, and when I go back to read, I know it shouldn't be there. I pick this out rather easily when reading what someone else writes and even in my own writing. But the habit is still there to just toss them in wherever when typing.

Does anyone else experience this, or am I suffering from an acute comma addiction? I fear someone is going to find me one day lying in my bed commatose.

Me too, I love them!!! Semicolons are next. I have trouble determining how long the pause needs to be.