• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too honest?

nPeace

Veteran Member
100% honesty means not holding anything back. If I only tell you 90% of the facts, I have not been 100% honest. It's not that hard a concept to grasp. And not being 100% honest is NOT the same as being DISHONEST. I've never once made such a claim.
I've never seen that definition in any dictionary.
However, tutors have 100% of the facts on the subject they are teaching. Do you think them dishonest because they teach what is needed, which may be 20% of those facts?

Clara Tea

Hi there!

Well ... they do say honesty is the best policy. You can't be responsible if people don't "accept" your truth. All you can really say is what is true in your own experience.

Here's an interesting article about "right speech" - I realise you are Sufi and this is Buddhist advice but still may be useful for your dilemma??

Right Speech: Five Guidelines for Mastering the Subtle Art of Mindful Communication | YogaUOnline

So you are not the only one wrestling with such choices.

It is not easy to always speak the truth with people of a different viewpoint. That is why it is called "practice" I guess.

Best of luck anyway.

:)
Tammy Fay Bakker said that she learned her lesson.....her lesson, she continued, was not to get caught.

President W. Bush and Cheney had the only access to military intelligence, but they chose to lie us into wars and sneakily operate torture camps, as well. They even tried to get Wilson to lie about yellow cake Uranium sold to Iraq.

Would you tell a neighbor child that there is no Santa Claus?

QuestioningMind

I've never seen that definition in any dictionary.
However, tutors have 100% of the facts on the subject they are teaching. Do you think them dishonest because they teach what is needed, which may be 20% of those facts?

Really? You've never heard of telling the truth, the WHOLE truth, and nothing but the truth? I bet you have. THAT'S 100% honesty. And again, not being 100% honest is not the same as being dishonest. I'm sure I stated that in my last post.

That's why from the beginning I've been saying that you should try and tell children as much of the truth as possible, but at times you may not want to tell the the WHOLE truth... OR another way of saying the same thing, not be 100% honest.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Is it possible to become a too honest person?

How to balance saying the truth, and not hurting someone who ask your opinions about someone, something or about the person who ask?
Yes. If I told my friend that her ugly little child is not pretty, but looks more like a little chimp, I would probably be too honest.

Ciao

- viole

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

How to balance saying the truth, and not hurting someone who ask your opinions about someone, something or about the person who ask?
It is wrong to lie in order to hurt someone, since we are to love our neighbor as ourselves. But there are situations when lying accomplishes a moral good, and is therefore morally necessary. For example, a Nazi SS asks you "Is that woman a Jew?" The moral answer is "No."

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It is wrong to lie in order to hurt someone, since we are to love our neighbor as ourselves. But there are situations when lying accomplishes a moral good, and is therefore morally necessary. For example, a Nazi SS asks you "Is that woman a Jew?" The moral answer is "No."
Why do so many people use Nazi Germany from 1939-45 as an example on this?
We live in 2022 now, not 1939-45 :oops:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

I personally strive to always tell the truth about people, especially if I know it from first-hand experience. It doesn't seem to change anything, though.