• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tomorrow morning (10:30 am give or take, CST) is Wintersolstice...

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Oh, cool--it coincides this year! Dec 21st is the observed date for Jól (except for those who go by-the-event and figure it out year by year), but my group already did our celebration on the 18th; for mainly reasons of schedules. Of which I'll be working a double tomorrow...

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Axial tilt is the reason for the season.

This tilt not only accounts for the seasons, it also accounts for the facts that winter solstice in the northern hemisphere corresponds with the summer solstice in the southern hemisphere, the varying length of the daylight phase of a 24-hour period throughout the year, that the sun rises in the northeast in June and the southeast in December, and why the sun’s highest point of the day varies throughout the year.

Today, the sun rises further southeast than on any other day, and sets further southwest. In the northern hemisphere, it's maximal elevation in the midday sky is lower than on any other day, although it will be directly overhead for those living on the Tropic of Capricorn 23.44° S (southern hemisphere).

For those at or above the Arctic Circle (66.56° N), it will be a day of no sunlight, and for those on or below the Antarctic Circle, it will be a day with no sunset.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No special plans today, other than working 8 hours rather than 9 like I've done the past three days, and I'll probably be heading out after the 1300 meeting I have to attend and finishing the work day at home.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
...the time when the denizens of the northern hemisphere are entering winter, while the lucky sots down underare rolling into summer, while those along the equator woll have mostlu more of the same.

Actually it's the other way around. The Winter Solstice is actually Mid-Winter, going towards Summer (June 21 is Mid-Summer). Winter solstice 2017: Five things you should know about the shortest day of the year Item 5. Why do the days still get colder after the solstice? is something I didn't know. I'm very much looking forward to January and February bypassing us without the horrid weather we had a few years ago.