• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tommy Robinson arrested

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Nelson Mandela knowingly broke the law and he eventually became the president of his country with the support of the United Kingdom.

And spent some time in gaol, without griping about it.

Are you comparing Yaxley Lennon with Mandela?

Notanumber

A Free Man
If you have to ask then you have a serious problem. In politics and character could not be further apart.

Does it not strike you as strange that the United Kingdom would whole-heartedly support a political prisoner in a foreign country and then create a political prisoner in their own country?

What has changed in that intervening period?

Shad

Veteran Member
We are on a very slippery slope when we start personalising laws.

You misunderstood my point. Laws can be just or unjust. Some laws are unjust via the text itself (Jim Crow). Some are unjust due to application (selective application). I disagree with the law in question. The alternative I support is jury sequestration. I support more freedom for the press (not merely business or legacy) as well. As I said laws are decades behind for the internet. Tommy broke a law. The government fell over themselves to go after him for the offense. He has been a burr to many. He provided a legal ground the government needed.

Notanumber

A Free Man
You misunderstood my point. Laws can be just or unjust. Some laws are unjust via the text itself (Jim Crow). Some are unjust due to application (selective application). I disagree with the law in question. The alternative I support is jury sequestration. I support more freedom for the press (not merely business or legacy) as well. As I said laws are decades behind for the internet. Tommy broke a law. The government fell over themselves to go after him for the offense. He has been a burr to many. He provided a legal ground the government needed.

How long will it be before someone else is convicted on the same manufactured charge and will they be tried by jury?

As Lord Falconer once said – “Our justice system exists to do justice. If it does not do justice in public, it risks slipping into unacceptable behaviour and losing public confidence. Justice must be done, and justice must be seen to be done”.

Charlie Falconer: Justice should be seen to be done

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Does it not strike you as strange that the United Kingdom would whole-heartedly support a political prisoner in a foreign country and then create a political prisoner in their own country?

What has changed in that intervening period?

Knowingly committing contempt of court (2nd offence of the crime) does not make a winging, attention seeker a political prisoner.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
As Lord Falconer once said – “Our justice system exists to do justice. If it does not do justice in public, it risks slipping into unacceptable behaviour and losing public confidence. Justice must be done, and justice must be seen to be done”.
Very solid point. That is what I have been saying all the time.
The "Law System" as a whole regarded the victims with contempt (fact shown in report)
Hence they have no right to charge Tommy for contempt (they should praise Tommy pointing out the contempt done by the "Law System")
The report below said that the police:
"regarded many child victims with contempt".
"We fully acknowledge our previous failings."
"Rotherham Council and the police knew about sexual exploitation but didn't do anything"
"Senior level in the police and children's social care thought problem was "exaggerated""
'1,400 children abused' in Rotherham
What the "Law System" should do:
Publicly announce that they acted with contempt, so they can't charge Tommy for contempt, because they need to set the right example
Then, and only then (after Law System plead "guilty as charged") they regain credibility from the public and can whisper to Tommy
"But next time, please don't show contempt for the Law System. And thank you reminding us to set the right example regarding "showing contempt"

In this context I remember the Bible:
"First remove the beam out of your own eye, before trying to remove the mote out of the other's eye"
"He who is without fault, throw the first stone"

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
What struck me in this report was the following:

The report found:
"Several staff described their nervousness about identifying the ethnic origins of perpetrators for fear of being thought as racist; others remembered clear direction from their managers not to do so."

And one of the victims described it as:
Speaking about her abuser, Isabel said: "I think because the police were aware and social services were aware and he knew that and they still didn't stop him it I think it encouraged him.

"It almost became like a game to him. He was untouchable."

I am glad it now is all in the open. That is kind of how they practice things also in Islam itself. Let all people know what you did.
Maybe that is a good thing what the Koran teaches us. Seems good to me. At least it solves the extra horror the victim above described.

Last edited: