• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tombstone, the movie

Linus

Has anyone sen this movie? I think it is a great flick but there is one question that I cannot find the answer to.

No, it isn't the meaning of the "huckleberry" line.

No it isn't the meaning of Doc's "that's funny" line (you know, the one at the end where he's looking at his feet)

The question I have is this: What does the word "lunger" mean?

I have searched and asked, but I can't find the answer. I thought it had something to do with Doc's Tuberculosis, but other characters are called this as well.

Does anyone know?

Scott1

As I understand the word.... a lunger is a collection of phlegm (sp?)/mucus collected into the mouth and spit..... yech!

cardero

Citizen Mod
SOGFFP writes: As I understand the word.... a lunger is a collection of phlegm (sp?)/mucus collected into the mouth and spit..... yech!
Isn't that a "loogey"? Or am I thinking of past tense? For example-"to have loogied."

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
From dictionary.com:

Main Entry: lung·er
Pronunciation: 'l&[ng]-&r
Function: noun
: one affected with a chronic disease of the lungs; especially : one who is tubercular

Don't know if that helps...I love that movie too. :p

Linus

That's funny. I went to dictionary.com and typed in "lunger" and got (drumroll please):

One who lunges.

Thanks Dcitionary.com!!!:rolleyes:

Anyway...
Yeah I figured it had something to do with Doc's TB, but I think there is someone else in the movie who is called this. I can't remember who, though. :areyoucra Maybe Im just crazy...

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Linus the only person who was called a Lunger in that movie was Doc. If i remember the bartender is talking to Ike Clanton and when Doc starts to cough up blood and Ike, who just lost a game to Doc says:
Ike: "Whats wrong with him?"
Bartender: "Lunger"
Ike: "Yeah well I hope he dies."

Then again with Ringo and Doc:
Ringo: "Don't any of you have the guts to play for blood?"
Doc: "I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game."
Ringo: "Alright Lunger, Draw."
Doc: "Say when."

And then again at the final show down between Ringo and Doc i think.

Sorry i'm a big Tombstone fanatic....one of the best movies ever

croak

Trickster
Never heard of the movie. :biglaugh:
I'm laughing 'cause I thought it was some horror movie.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
RearingArabian said:
Never heard of the movie. :biglaugh:
I'm laughing 'cause I thought it was some horror movie.
You poor deprived child:eek: That is one of my favorite movies...ever!

Linus

Thanks Jewscout. That really clears things up.

It really is one of the best movies of all time. My favorite part is when Wyatt Earp pistol whips that guy with his own gun...classic

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Linus said:
Thanks Jewscout. That really clears things up.

It really is one of the best movies of all time. My favorite part is when Wyatt Earp pistol whips that guy with his own gun...classic
Oh yeah that part rules...
Wyatt: "I just wanted to let you know you're in my chair."
Tyler: "Oh is that a fact?"
Wyatt: "That's a fact."
Tyler: "For a man that don't go heeled you sure run your mouth kinda reckless"
Wyatt: "Don't need to go heel to get the bulge on a dub like you."
Tyler: "That a fact?"
Wyatt blows smoke from his cigar: "That's a fact."
Tyler: "Well i'm real scared"
Wyatt: "You damn right your scared. I can see it in your eyes."
Wyatt moves in and Tyler backs up all scared and sH!t. Tyler reaches for his gun.
Wyatt: "Go ahead, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens."
Tyler stutters: "Look mister i'm gettin real tired..."
Wyatt b!tch slaps him.
Wyatt: "I'm gettin' tired of your gassin'. Jerk that pistol and get to work boy."
Wyatt b!tch slaps him again.
Wyatt: "I said throw down boy."
Yet another b!tch smack...tyler is bleeding from his lip.
Wyatt: "You gonna do something or just stand there and bleed?"
Tyler just stands there like a punk
Wyatt: "No, didn't think so. Here Milt. [throws gun to the bartender] Keepsake, hang it over the bar. [wyatt grabs tyler by the ear] Alright youngster out you go."

:jam:

Linus

Jewscout,
Althought that part does indeed rock, it is not the part I was talking about.

Im talking about the part where Wyatt walks out of a builiding and bumps into some guy (don't know his name) and the guy gets all mad at him

Wyatt: Easy kid, Im sorry
Guy: I ain't easy and I ain't your kid. You can take sorry and shove it up yer @$$.
Wyatt: ...
Guy: I'll fight you right now! (flashes his pistol)
(Wyatt then proceeds to grab the guy's pistol and knocks him in the head with it. The guy just falls down on the poarch of the building, gets up, a little scared, and quickly backs away to his horse)

That's not from the official script, just the way I remember the movie. I think it's just so funny how that guy thinks he is so cool, and just gets punked so easily by Wyatt. Great...

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Linus said:
That's funny. I went to dictionary.com and typed in "lunger" and got (drumroll please):

One who lunges.

Thanks Dcitionary.com!!!:rolleyes:
They had that there as a second definition, but I didn't post it.