• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tomato cassarole

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
This is a Bulgarian recipe, super easy and yummy. Great served hot or cold. It is eaten at harvest time during the hottest days of the year.

2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 1/4 lbs firm ripe tomatoes
1 teaspoon sugar
scant 1 cup day old bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon chili powder or paprika
salt
chopped parsley to garnish
rye bread, to serve

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Brush a large baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the oil.

2. Sprinkle the chopped flat-leaf parsley on the bottom of the dish. Cut the tomatoes into even slices, discarding the two end slices of each. Arrange the slices in the dish so that they overlap slightly. Sprinkle them with a little salt and the sugar.

3. In a mixing bowl, stir together the bread crumbsm the remaining oil and chili powder or paprika, then sprinkle on top of the tomatoes.

4. Bake for 40-50 minutes, covering with foil if the topping is getting too brown. Serve hot or cold, garnish with chopped parsley and accompanies by rye bread.

{Variation: Replace half the tomatoes with zucchini.)

I took this to a potluck at church this past Sunday and it was devoured. Very yummy!

evearael

I love tomatoes! I must make this recipe... I will pick up the ingredients this weekend and let you know how it goes!

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
Great! Now I know what to do with all these zucchini and tomatoes people keep giving us from their gardens around here.