1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured To what extent are Islamic terrorists inspired by Muhammad and the Quran?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by adrian009, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,489
    Religion:
    None
    For I am the Lord, I do not change (Malachi 3:6).

James 1:17
    Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?

etc

2000 years ago it was merciful and loving to chop
    up the newborn, and to drown the bunnies?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. David T

David T Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,810
    Like all terrorists they are deeply inspired by themselves and seek external verification to their self worship! I dont think just religion has this problem. Although there are many whom seek to perfect it in religion.

• Like Like x 1
  3. David T

David T Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,810
    Awesome.... Well done.
    I have to say the best example why proof texting is lame is to use it against proof texting!!!

4. Politesse

Politesse Amor Vincit Omnia

Ratings:
    +1,143
    Religion:
    Startlingly Ecclectic
    I didn't say anything of the sort. People are people.

5. adrian009

adrian009 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,150
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Please elaborate.

If you are referring to Muhammad’s decision to return to Mecca this appears pragmatic and sensible. The Quraysh who had opposed Muhammad converted en mass to Islam and was relatively bloodless.

Quraysh - Wikipedia

6. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,489
    Religion:
    None
    so nothing I referred to was your writing.

7. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli What's your stoyle?

Ratings:
    +1,600
    Religion:
    Catholic
    And so the fear of Islamic terror today is the same as it was then, where through fear, the Quraysh converted en mass to Islam.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. whirlingmerc

whirlingmerc Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +712
    Religion:
    Christian
    I would say with the book of Romans that believers in Jesus walk in the footsteps of Abraham citing Abraham's willingness to sacrifice Issac believing God would raise Isaac from the dead if necessary.

Many claim to be of the faith of Abraham that but is it true?

9. Ellen Brown

Ellen Brown Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,039
    Joshua is said to have died around 1242 BC. It was during his time when the children of Israel were ordered to go through villages and kill every living thing, including the animals. I have heard stories that the inhabitants of these villages were killing and eating babies, doing blood sacrifices to other gods, and other repugnant things. So I am not sure why Christians think they have a basis to criticize the followers of Muhammad PBUH for what they did in self defence?

10. Ellen Brown

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,039
    You know bloody little about Islam.

11. whirlingmerc

whirlingmerc Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +712
    Religion:
    Christian
    I would not apply that analogy quite that way

In the Old Testament there were wars like you describe as judgements of God by Israel

I would not see New Testament warfare is spiritual not physical

12. shmogie

shmogie Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,391
    Religion:
    Christian
    Islam has a history of conquest, extremely violent conquest. Most muslim land today was once inhabited and governed by Christians. Islamic invasion resulted in these countries becoming islamic, the same occurred in huge swathes of India.

Islam didn´t practice ¨ self defense ¨ till 300 years after it began it´s conquests, when the Crusades started in response.

Christians did not exist at the time you point to, and what occurred was on a tiny scale compared to islam.

If the muslims had not been stopped at the gates of Vienna, Europe would have been more islamic territory.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. adrian009

adrian009 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,150
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Not necessarily. Momentum was on the side of monotheism after the Roman Empire had become Christianised several centuries beforehand. It was probably pragmatic to convert to a monotheistic religion that had proved successful elsewhere. It made sense in many ways to convert to the religion of the tribe who had defeated them.

14. Landon Caeli

Ratings:
    +1,600
    Religion:
    Catholic
    It seems very strange to me that a large tribe would, at it's own homeland, drop it's own religion to adopt something new. Satellite populations in exile, yes I could see.

But it happens... After Constantine passed the Edict of Milan, it took only 10 years for Christianity to become the State religion of the Roman Empire. Which is bazaar.

15. Landon Caeli

Ratings:
    +1,600
    Religion:
    Catholic
    ...Could something similar have occured with Islam? I don’t know.

16. Ellen Brown

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,039
    I did not say anything about the New Testament. BUT, if I did, it would likely be less complementary than that. The murderings and condemnations done by the early church are repugnant, much of it done by what would become the Catholic Church. Then, even after Martin Luther, the fools burned each other at the stake, and various other debaucheries. The KJV of the Bible was authorized by a murderous, maniacal King. And then the leaving of England, Scotland, and Ireland and travel to America... sigh. There was the "Burned Out Period" in America where there were so many new religions that it was like setting a hand grenade off inside a pumpkin.

The shaitan has had his way with humanity, and I fear that when the Creator decides to fix it all, it may be much worse than he thought. Sad, so sad.

17. Ellen Brown

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,039
    Go back and review the posts. Your mind is wandering.

18. Samantha Rinne

Samantha Rinne Active Member

Ratings:
    +261
    Religion:
    Follower (and Writer) of the Mune Shinri
    And this is perfectly true. However, when judging whether this is the case, it is important to look at the source material.

If a Christian bombs a abortion clinic or kills a LGBT person, even though it says it disapproves of such things, it still doesn't advocate violence against them. Yet all Christians are held responsible for these.

Islam the followers are violent in addition to what is said in the Quran, Christianity they are violent in spite of what is said in the Bible.

19. Samantha Rinne

Samantha Rinne Active Member

Ratings:
    +261
    Religion:
    Follower (and Writer) of the Mune Shinri
    Not when you think of what actually is happening here.
    1. There were alot of private Christians because Christians were a persecuted group in the ancient world. They kinda came out of the closet.
    2. An emperor with alot of clout suddenly says he has a vision, uses a symbol on his shields, and wins a battle. He says do something, they'd better do something.
    3. I actually don't think Constantine's Christianity was anything but an attempt to undermine Christianity. They were energetic wandering do-gooders that kinda tried to make a difference in especially areas where state oppression was a thing. Big State tends not to like people actually being sovereign. After Constantine, we have a set up church and more of a formalized hierarchy. But hold on a second...
    A formalized hierarchical church with priests paid by the state was exactly what Jesus did not want.

#59 Samantha Rinne, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Shad

Shad Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +3,214
    Religion:
    Theological noncognitivist
    Victory tends to settle arguments in one's mind especially a fatalist mind.

• Like Like x 1