• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To sleep, perhance to dream...

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Evidence that we are still very primitive. We don't know how our brains work.

I'd prefer that we find a way to get rid of our dependence upon sleep. Maybe its a useless evolutionary relic? Maybe sleep is what helps creatures to lie dormant when either hibernating or hiding, and perhaps this has been a survival trait that has unfortunately become part of our body rhythms inherited from a time when they were necessary. Maybe sleep is just another appendix or like earlobes.
Just because we don't understand it or mainstream science can't explain it, doesn't mean it's useless. The appendix has uses, by the way. It's a reservoir of useful bacteria, for example.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Just because we don't understand it or mainstream science can't explain it, doesn't mean it's useless. The appendix has uses, by the way. It's a reservoir of useful bacteria, for example.
I love how it feels to fall asleep, but other than that I'd very much like to stay awake and do things. I'm not getting any younger!

Heyo

Veteran Member

I'd prefer that we find a way to get rid of our dependence upon sleep. Maybe its a useless evolutionary relic? Maybe sleep is what helps creatures to lie dormant when either hibernating or hiding, and perhaps this has been a survival trait that has unfortunately become part of our body rhythms inherited from a time when they were necessary. Maybe sleep is just another appendix or like earlobes.
You can't get rid of sleep but you can reduce the total time spend sleeping by adapting a polyphasic sleep pattern. Gain more time to waste on RF like I do.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

I presume you do know what happens when we are deprived of sleep - often used to torture people - and I can distinctly remember at least two times when this happened to me, once when jet-lagged and the second after quite a tiring day, and where in the second case I was ready to inflict substantial pain on those foolish enough to disregard the affects of their noisy behaviour on others. So I assume we do need sleep and for whatever reasons, such that it might be as well to leave such alone. But one might learn to live with a smaller amount.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I presume you do know what happens when we are deprived of sleep - often used to torture people - and I can distinctly remember at least two times when this happened to me, once when jet-lagged and the second after quite a tiring day, and where in the second case I was ready to inflict substantial pain on those foolish enough to disregard the affects of their noisy behaviour on others. So I assume we do need sleep and for whatever reasons, such that it might be as well to leave such alone. But one might learn to live with a smaller amount.
Yes, and its safe to assume that it is natural for us to sleep. The benefit, however, may not be regeneration. It may be for helping us to endure darkness and immobility. It causes us to stop thinking consciously. The human mind is quite fragile, so that might explain why lack of sleep messes us up. It doesn't mean to me that sleep will always be necessary. Maybe some day we can get rid of it by understanding its processes, with safe and adequate biological research, maybe some genetic tinkering.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Yes, and its safe to assume that it is natural for us to sleep. The benefit, however, may not be regeneration. It may be for helping us to endure darkness and immobility. It causes us to stop thinking consciously. The human mind is quite fragile, so that might explain why lack of sleep messes us up. It doesn't mean to me that sleep will always be necessary. Maybe some day we can get rid of it by understanding its processes, with safe and adequate biological research, maybe some genetic tinkering.
Why do you want to get rid of sleep? It's a pleasure in life.