• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To Setians: What are your opinions on the "Satanist" label and how do your beliefs differ?

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
I have read a bit about Setianism and noticed that some people lob Setianism as a form of Satanism because the Temple of Set was founded by a former Church of Satan member. From what I understand, M. Aquino also claims Set is Satan's original name. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong about this.

Are you comfortable being labeled as a "Satanist"? How do your beliefs differ from various forms of Satanism (atheistic, theistic, etc) and why are they better for you? Is Set Satan, and if not how is he different? What are members of the Temple of Set or its Orders required to believe in order to be Setians? What are your beliefs when it comes to deities?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I don't necessarily think Setianism is Satanism, but the two may be seen as siblings perhaps. There's no denying the role Satanism played in the revival of Setian religion. Yet Satanism itself is a far younger, more Christianized version of cults like the cult of Set.

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
Are you comfortable being labeled as a "Satanist"?

As far as with Labels I find Labels to be a waste of time. For me It doesn't really matter if you truly view yourself as a Satanist, atheist, theist, or Setian, you as the individual sees what works for you and if you are comfortable with it then stick with it. If you're not comfortable with it any longer than try a different avenue.

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
How do your beliefs differ from various forms of Satanism (atheistic, theistic, etc) and why are they better for you?

My beliefs and mindset are perhaps neutral beliefs they are not exactly like ones average Satanic belief and mindset of how they complain on Christianity or argue the differences of Set, Satan, or that Set before Satan had its similarities. Yes, I can understand the annoying sickening complaints of Christianity and mainstream organized religion. As I have experienced this feeling and viewpoint when I was a novice. But for me, my views regarding mainstream Christianity and organized religion is rather neutral, I am not here to challenge or question their authority. And nor do I have any pins to stick in on them, in which many Satanists would like to do on mainstream religious institutions.

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
What are your beliefs when it comes to deities?

I believe that any specific entity is a conscious entity who lives in the Subjective Universe Separate from the Objective Universe, I believe that this specific entity the Prince of Darkness created this Objective Universe by placing humanity and offering them the gift of the black flame which can be known as a higher and darker form of isolate intelligence. I believe that Christ existed as well by coming out of the Subjective Universe and entering into the Objective Universe, Christ more or less tried to do humane duties to man but he was at the wrong place and at the wrong time not knowing that the Prince of Darkness influenced humanity so greatly. Not only was he at the wrong place and at the wrong time but he and the Prince of Darkness never truly got along greatly. I think that even though the Prince of Darkness watches over us and understands and may do his humane duty to our answers to him he still however lives separately from us even if he intervenes. But one shouldn't regard him as a simple entity to answer every question every single day as many fundamentalist Christians regard Christ as a person who solves every single problem everyday.

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
What are members of the Temple of Set or its Orders required to believe in order to be Setians?

Their isn't really anything required to be a Setian within the Temple of Set from my understanding. The Temple of Set isn't really a dogma, sure it is considered a religion in which you might think that they are a one man religion but they aren't. The Temple is for everyone not just Setians in general, what is perhaps required for someone in the Temple is using GBM or Greater Black Magic as a tool. Their isn't any requirement to believe in Set either, however I have heard a bit from others that once you move to a degree as a priest for Set then things might start to change a bit. I don't think the Temple would force you to believe in Set because they are not the type of a fanatic organized religion outside of the LHP. I find the Temple of Set including Setian thought as an influential tool in general. That doesn't mean that I just choose to say "OH I just became a Setian." No, that is not how it works for me. In general I find the Temple of Set to be an advanced evolutionary form of Satanism within the LHP, but Setian Philosophy has a different process than just your average Satanism. Many of the concepts in which I carry within my views are a concept of the Temple of Sets thinking.

L.Keane

Master Cosmonaut~EoB
Dear STL,

You asked:

"What are members of the Temple of Set or its Orders required to believe in order to be Setians? What are your beliefs when it comes to deities?"

There are no theological requirements for First Degree (Setian) or Second Degree (Adept) Initiates within the Temple of Set. Some philosophical discussion will surface around the idea of a neter or what is close to a Platonic Form. For the Priesthood of Set (Third Degree to Sixth Degree) Set is understood from various perspectives from ontological Deity to the philosophical Form of Isolate Intelligence. One way to look at it is that humans create gods and Set would be seen as that through which humans acquire that capacity.

Lloyd

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
As a Buddhist and a Luciferian, I must say that I have the greatest respect for Setian philosophy. The principle of isolate intelligence is quite like Buddhism's Buddha Nature, as well as the philosophy of self-transformation through your own efforts. (How can anyone else transform isolate intelligence, if it is isolated?) Isolate intelligence/Buddha Nature is also precious, so each individual also has the precious capacity for greatness, so regard for and respect for the individual follows. Since we all have our own unique psychological hang ups, then each individual's path to transforming those hang-ups into something greater will be unique to that individual. (Or as Buddhism would put it, there are innumerable dharma doors leading to liberation.) Greater Black Magick is the way to go if you want any lasting transformation.

Hail to all you Setians working towards greatness!

Premium Member
Welcome to 2022!

Today I do not consider myself a “Satanist” in any way, shape, or form. In fact, I explicitly and enthusiastically reject the label. Satanism is an edgy pop-psychology, a bumper sticker, a plushie Baphomet now. It has lost all meaning. Yes, I argue in my article on Theistic Satanism that when dealing with Christianity we must see it on its own terms rather than Pagan/Polytheist ones, and in this one specific case there is some value to Satan. But beyond that, such as within the Left Hand Path community itself, the term in now gibberish. Let TST and CoS have them to trample upon, the Serpents were never Satan anyways.

Premium Member
Welcome to 2022!

Today I do not consider myself a “Satanist” in any way, shape, or form. In fact, I explicitly and enthusiastically reject the label. Satanism is an edgy pop-psychology, a bumper sticker, a plushie Baphomet now. It has lost all meaning. Yes, I argue in my article on Theistic Satanism that when dealing with Christianity we must see it on its own terms rather than Pagan/Polytheist ones, and in this one specific case there is some value to Satan. But beyond that, such as within the Left Hand Path community itself, the term in now gibberish. Let TST and CoS have them to trample upon, the Serpents were never Satan anyways.

Actually I wanted to add that this is a little harsh. I do still see a lot of value in Satan, specifically when dealing with Christianity and general western traditions. We must see Christianity on Christian terms. One of the main downfalls of our pagan ancestors is that they saw Christianity in pagan terms. They didn't understand their gods were supposed to be evil, or that Yahweh was the only one, they'd had centuries of experience running into new cultural gods and seeing the similarities across pantheons, so they didn't comprehend this "one God or die" thing. Instead of recognizing this God and its people as an enemy they were just another group at first, and that allowed them to gain power.

So, take let's say a traditional ToS Setian and the idea of distancing yourself from Satanism. On one hand I agree, we should be able to see beyond Christianity and their terms. But leaving Christianity behind entirely is dangerous, it needs to be not only acknowledged but opposed. This makes Satanism important whether your own beliefs may transcend the Christian symbolism and terminology or not. While the polytheistic view is important to me, Yahweh - whether literal or a symbol - is not "just another God" of polytheism. He is a demiurge, a great and present evil in the way most polytheistic religions never saw most gods. This is much clearer when using the Christian "Satan v God" than the polytheistic "one of a million gods", even though I think there is truth in both.

Therefore, whether your beliefs are "Abrahamic" or not while walking the LHP, Satanism itself can be important. On one hand we can't disregard Christianity like many ancestors did, because it is still a force of ultimate power. On the other hand, we can't simply say "oh it's just another god/religion, I respect it." That respect puts you at risk for history to repeat itself. So do not ignore or accept, OPPOSE.

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
@1137 I'm personally in agreement with 1137 here on what he's saying. While I do not consider myself a Satanist anymore, I still respect the value's on what Satanism is. With that in mind, it is a blind step to forget about Christianity itself. Christianity still plays a vital influence if you look at western society as a whole, Nietzsche even states that himself on the role it has over politics. LaVey even states it in the Satanic Bible on how it plays a role on your modern day version of New Age paganism. Therefore it is important to see Christianity as it is. By choosing to forget about Christianity, it can become dangerous in a sense that it can also play an influential role on the LHP/Satanic culture, just as it has with Neo Paganism. While those of us who truly practice the Left Hand Path do not consider TST to fit the Satanic/LHP criteria, society itself has categorized it as part of that criteria. In that sense, here you have a political Christianized leftist organization that has been considered to be one of us when in fact its not. Those of us who view Christianity as it is, can see clearly the differences between TST vs. an actual LHP organization. If we forget about Christianity and the history that it has bestown, it can dilute certain religions and philosophies within the Left Hand Path, where our values can be easily washed away, just as how it has happened to our pagan ancestors.