• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To Name a Sheep

Kirran

Premium Member
So we have a pet lamb here on the farm which I'm going to look after for a while. I'd like to give him a name from Hindu mythology. If he was a cow, this would be easy, but I don't know of any sheep in Hindu mythology.

But I'm sure there are some, who'd care to suggest some names?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Agni's vahana was a sheep, or maybe a ram. I don't know what its name was, though.
Maybe Ramses - oh wait, wrong religion.

What are you going to do with this sheep, anyway? House pet?

Maya3

That is so sweet! This isn´t Hindu but you could name it Får which means sheep in Swedish and reminds me of this Swedish tongue twister.

Får får får, far? Nej, får får inte får, får får lamm.

(Do sheep get sheep father? No Sheep don´t get sheep, sheep get lambs ;) )

Maya

Kirran

Premium Member
Agni's vahana was a sheep, or maybe a ram. I don't know what its name was, though.
Maybe Ramses - oh wait, wrong religion.

What are you going to do with this sheep, anyway? House pet?

Yeah, I couldn't find that sheep's (or goat's) name either :(

Well, it belongs to my father really, I'm just home for three weeks. So it'll either be sold for slaughter or kept for four or five years for breeding.

I meant Nandi. :( Typos.

Ah, that makes more sense :) I may go into cow names if this sheep-and-goat direction draws a blank.

Bhera

But is this ewe also a black sheep?

Bhera? Could you share some of the pedigree?

No, it's a little white one. I'll put up a photo tomorrow.

That is so sweet! This isn´t Hindu but you could name it Får which means sheep in Swedish and reminds me of this Swedish tongue twister.

Får får får, far? Nej, får får inte får, får får lamm.

(Do sheep get sheep father? No Sheep don´t get sheep, sheep get lambs ;) )

Maya

It's a lovely little lamb, very friendly. I keep tripping up over her.

I tried to figure out how to say that :p

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Kiran ji

so sweet I love lambs , no I dont know any sheepy names so I will just think of a sweet girls name

Sachi , ....Grace
Kaliyani , ....fortunate
Suchita , ...auspicious
Harshi , ....Joyous

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
You could name her "Dharma". I don't know any sheep names from any stories or other languages.

That, or you could still name her Nandi, despite being the wrong animal. :p

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Call him Nambi anyway. :)
I don't know any sheep in Hinduism.
If it was not for rams, Daksha Prajapati would not have got a new head. Aja - name for Brahma, "the unborn one". aja -- O unborn one -- Sanskrit Dictionary (a + ja = not + born)

attachment.php
283720_380412062016602_1153731672_n.jpg

In Hindu mythology, Aja (Tamil: Achan, Thai: Achaban, Malay: Dasarata Raman) is the son of king Raghu, and thus a scion of the Ikshvaku dynasty, who claimed descent from the sun god Surya. His paternal grandfather was the pious king Dileepa. King Aja's consort was the heavenly nymph Indumati; they were the parents of King Dasaratha of Ayodhya, who was the father of Rama. King Dileepa offered to be the food of a lion to save a cow.

The classical Indian poet Kalidasa has elaborated upon the lives and careers of the kings Dileepa, Raghu and Aja in his work entitled Raghuvamsha (literally: "Dynasty of Raghu"). This is significant as these rulers were the immediate forbears of Rama.

For more on 'Aja', see Encyclopaedia of the Hindu World - Google Books
Call him Nambi anyway. :)
Nambi (Tamil) refers to a gentleman (with the strength of a lion). So, I think something like Singh in Punjab. I guess it will be a name associated with warrior castes.
Ayillyath Kuttiari Gopalan Nambiar (1904–1977), known as AKG, Indian Communist leader.
Also, a correction, it's a female sheep!
That is no problem - Ajā.
Simple again. It could be Nanditā or Nandini.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Sachi , ....Grace
Kaliyani , ....fortunate (one who brings of fortune)
Suchita , ...auspicious
Harshi , ....Joyous
Yes, Hindus name their pet cows and sheep/goats like that, with the names that we give to girls. There is no tradition of keeping a pet dog or cat. Of course, that does not bar one from feeding them. That was done regularly. After every meal, my grandfather would call the dogs of our neighborhood and feed them, a portion of food was kept for them.

Last edited:

Kirran

Premium Member
namaskaram Kiran ji

so sweet I love lambs , no I dont know any sheepy names so I will just think of a sweet girls name

Sachi , ....Grace
Kaliyani , ....fortunate
Suchita , ...auspicious
Harshi , ....Joyous

Some nice ones :) She is a sweet girl, despite being a sheep.

I've been taking her for a run around the field, I'll run off and she'll try and keep up.

You could name her "Dharma". I don't know any sheep names from any stories or other languages.

Dharma's a very nice one. But so is Nandi :/

Save the sheep!
Maybe she could accidentally escape and disappear....

Save the sheep!

Shall we take up a collection in the Hindu DIR? We'll ship her over to Canada and V-dada can look after her :)

If it was not for rams, Daksha Prajapati would not have got a new head. Aja - name for Brahma, "the unborn one". aja -- O unborn one -- Sanskrit Dictionary (a + ja = not + born)

attachment.php
283720_380412062016602_1153731672_n.jpg

In Hindu mythology, Aja (Tamil: Achan, Thai: Achaban, Malay: Dasarata Raman) is the son of king Raghu, and thus a scion of the Ikshvaku dynasty, who claimed descent from the sun god Surya. His paternal grandfather was the pious king Dileepa. King Aja's consort was the heavenly nymph Indumati; they were the parents of King Dasaratha of Ayodhya, who was the father of Rama. King Dileepa offered to be the food of a lion to save a cow.

The classical Indian poet Kalidasa has elaborated upon the lives and careers of the kings Dileepa, Raghu and Aja in his work entitled Raghuvamsha (literally: "Dynasty of Raghu"). This is significant as these rulers were the immediate forbears of Rama.

For more on 'Aja', see Encyclopaedia of the Hindu World - Google BooksNambi (Tamil) refers to a gentleman (with the strength of a lion). So, I think something like Singh in Punjab. I guess it will be a name associated with warrior castes.
Ayillyath Kuttiari Gopalan Nambiar (1904–1977), known as AKG, Indian Communist leader.That is no problem - Ajā.Simple again. It could be Nanditā or Nandini.

Oh, very nice, thankyou Aup. Ajā's nice.

But I can't decide on names, so here are pictures of the unnamed lamb.

Here is the lamb, with some Hindu guy. I am smiling because the lamb is trying to figure out if my face is an udder.

20150322_074927.jpg

And a close up.

20150322_075124.jpg

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It knows the difference, udders or feeding bottle (?). It is only saying thanks to you for care and company.

Kirran

Premium Member
It knows the difference, udders or feeding bottle (?). It is only saying thanks to you for care and company.

If milk comes from it, she's happy. But you can tell that's what she's looking for because she's doing these hard searching thrusts with her mouth, and her tail's wiggling.

But if she's full she'll still follow around happily.

What do people think? Does she look like an Aja or a Nandita? Or a Dharma? etc