1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured To my Jewish friends on this forum...

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Ashoka, Nov 20, 2022.

1. cOLTER

cOLTER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +935
    Religion:
    Disciple
    The Purpose of Jesus’ Parables
    (Isaiah 6:1–13; Mark 4:10–12; Luke 8:9–10)

10Then the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Why do You speak to the people in parables?”11He replied, “The knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. 12Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 13This is why I speak to them in parables:

‘Though seeing, they do not see;

though hearing, they do not hear or understand.’b14In them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled:

‘You will be ever hearing but never understanding;

you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.15For this people’s heart has grown callous;

they hardly hear with their ears,

and they have closed their eyes.

Otherwise they might see with their eyes,

hear with their ears,

understand with their hearts,

and turn, and I would heal them.’

Jesus, who was Jewish and knew the scriptures, tried to open the eyes of the collection of Jewish holy men, lawyers and quibblers to the spiritual teachings within their own scriptures but it was mainly the common citizens who understood him. IMOP today Christians are still trying in vain to open the eyes of people in Judaism.

2. idea

idea Question Everything

Ratings:
    +1,234
    Religion:
    spiritual, not religious
    Finger pointing to moon is ancient Buddhist teaching.

חֻקּוֹת חֻקָּה
    שָׁמַיִם שָׁמַיִם
    וָאָרֶץ אֶרֶץ

ordinances of heaven and earth

3. idea

idea Question Everything

Ratings:
    +1,234
    Religion:
    spiritual, not religious
    4 realities
    How you see yourself
    How others see you
    How you think others see you
    The truth

The truth is neither what anyone thinks of themselves, nor is it what others think.

4. IndigoChild5559

IndigoChild5559 Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Ratings:
    +3,993
    Religion:
    Judaism
    No, I know of no such thing. Not only do I NOT think that Jesus ascended, I do NOT even think he rose from the dead. The gospels and the book of Acts combine a lot of legend with history. They are not reliable accounts of what actually happened. I think Jesus died, and his followers had a case of bereavement delusion. You would be surprised to hear just how common it is for those who are grieving to see the dead person.

You are the one making the claim that he rose from the dead, thus you are the one responsible to supply adequate proof, and you cannot.

5. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +40,293
    Religion:
    Atheist
    So what?

6. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,420
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Christians are not devoid of the capacity to engage in worthwhile scholarship. I would trust anyone committed to informed explication over impassioned eisegesis.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +40,293
    Religion:
    Atheist
    It
    That is a nice excuse to use when others saw through the deception. That is a defensive verse. They are indicative that a work did not come from God.

• Like Like x 1
  8. setarcos

setarcos The hopeful or the hopeless?

Ratings:
    +69
    Religion:
    Christian
    I must apologize and confess I may be guilty of this.
    I can only say that from my viewpoint I try to "lean not unto my own understanding" but when it comes to other faiths quote from their respective teachers or simply debate their respective beliefs if those beliefs overlap mine concerning a mutual phenomena. After all God,...or nature, gave us all the capacity to reason together to some extent so if we can swallow our emotions and push our own arrogance aside for a wee bit that's what we should do. I think?

• Like Like x 1
  9. cOLTER

cOLTER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +935
    Religion:
    Disciple
    The Patches and the Wineskins
    (Matthew 9:16–17; Luke 5:36–39)

21No one sews a patch of unshrunk cloth on an old garment. If he does, the new piece will pull away from the old, and a worse tear will result.22And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the wine will burst the skins, and both the wine and the wineskins will be ruined. Instead, new wine is poured into new wineskins.”

It was a huge blunder for the early followers of Jesus to attempt to justify their faith in him by exploiting the Old Testament prophets. With Jesus people were to start over with his liberating gospel. It is true that Christians get tangled up in the weeds when debating the OT with members of Judaism.

IMOP

10. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper RF's resident Beatlemaniac. ☮ and ❤

Ratings:
    +4,154
    Religion:
    Wicca, Polytheism, and Spiritualism.
    Exactly. Many atheists and agnostics who were once Christians are more knowledgeable about the Bible than most Christians. Some Christians like to use the defense of allegedly having "spiritual discernment" if they are outperformed by ex-Christians who are more knowledgeable about the Bible than they are. I was recently accused by a Christian of misunderstanding what the Bible actually says.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. cOLTER

cOLTER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +935
    Religion:
    Disciple
    One can have more genuine faith in God then knowledge of the Bible. In fact, I think they may be better off just developing their relationship with God and tred lightly in the OT, completely ignore the Book of incoherent Revelation, maybe even stick with the parts of the red letters that sound true! IMOP

12. Sgt. Pepper

Ratings:
    +4,154
    Religion:
    Personally, I think that people should read the Bible for what it is and not read it with rose-colored glasses. That's the mistake that I made when I was a devout Christian. As an ex-Christian, I know that it's much easier on a Christian's conscience to blame mankind or the devil for the evil in the world rather than blame a "loving and merciful" God that a Christian genuinely believes in and has faith in.

• Like Like x 1
  13. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +21,276
    Religion:
    Buddhist & scientifically oriented Catholic
    I got more annoyed by the intolerance and being told that Jews can't go to heaven because they aren't Christian. Fortunately, the church I converted back to doesn't any longer teach this.

14. metis

Ratings:
    +21,276
    Religion:
    Hey, I know there are some atheists and agnostics who have a better understanding of the scriptures than some Christians, let me tell ya.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,420
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Pope John did a lot of good work.

• Like Like x 1
  16. It Aint Necessarily So

It Aint Necessarily So Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,385
    Religion:
    None
    Any outsider can give you a more open-minded, objective account of what the words mean. He has no agenda to make it seem like the words of a god, so he has no need to try to explain why failed prophecies aren't really failed prophecies, and internal contradictions aren't really contradictions, and errors in history and science aren't really errors at all once you look at them just right.

The skeptic is fine with the idea that the scriptures are flawed. The believer won't even consider that. It's not an error - it's an allegory. And a day isn't a day. And saved by faith and saved by works mean the same thing. The skeptic has no reason to invoke such verbal gymnastics, and that makes him a more objective interpreter of what scripture says.

No, what you see is Christians explaining what their scriptures mean and critical thinkers dissenting. I'm in a thread now with a Christian explaining to us why the prophecy of Israel reforming is evidence of a superhuman prescience. Why would any of us be discussing that with him had he not introduced it and made false claims about it?

Like all literature, they belong to the world.

And as you can see, that's how I feel about interpreting Christian scripture.

Paul's contradictions of Jesus. (answering-christianity.com)
    List of Contradictions of Jesus by Paul to make New Theology | Just Give Them The Truth (wordpress.com)

I understand that you will see no contradiction there. That's your job as a faithful believer. If one scripture says black and another white, the apologist is ready to explain why those are the same thing, which is why his interpretations of scripture are of little value to the skeptic, who can read it for himself and understands that black is not white.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. metis

Ratings:
    +21,276
    Religion:
    IMO, exactly. Without Vatican II, I would not have ever become Catholic to begin with.

18. Sgt. Pepper

Ratings:
    +4,154
    Religion:
    You once informed me that the Catholic Church no longer teaches that protestants cannot be saved outside of its Church (Catholic Answers | How Protestants Are Saved). Was this belief discarded under the influence of a Pope or did he have a direct hand in it?

19. metis

Ratings:
    +21,276
    Religion:
    Neither, as this was a byproduct of Vatican II, but it did take a while for it to be manifested after that. Pope Francis is VERY open to ecumenism, and it's driving some of the conservative bishop nuts.

• Like Like x 1
  20. idea

idea Question Everything

Ratings:
    +1,234
    Religion:
    spiritual, not religious
    It seems everyone leans on their own understanding, everyone chooses what groups to follow, what books to read.

I guess it comes down to changing beliefs. I admire anyone who has left their faith, who has changed their beliefs with new information. If understanding can change and grow, it is at least not about ego, but honesty that forms beliefs.